Retime and Scaling -> Scaling Doesn't Work

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

RubyRose

Retime and Scaling -> Scaling Doesn't Work

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 2:21 pm

Hello Forum.

Compliments on a truly amazing product. I am in the processing of learning to work flow of DaVinci Resolve and I am beginning to get used to all the amazing commands.

One of the most common things I use in what I do is to crop certain parts of a video and then resize to fit the defined project (ie. 1920x1080).

When I crop the bottom of a slip, I move down to Retime and Scaling and try and select Scaling-->Fit and absolutely nothing happens. I also tried to change to Fill and again, nothing happens.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Any help would be great because I plan to switch over to Resolve but hesitate to purchase the product unless I know that it works.

Thank you.

Jim Simon

Re: Retime and Scaling -> Scaling Doesn't Work

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 3:09 pm

RubyRose wrote:am I doing something wrong?
Yes. That's not what Scaling is for. Use the Zoom parameter under the Transform tool set.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

RubyRose

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 3:46 pm

Hello Jim,

Thank you for getting back to my question. I appreciate it. As I learn more and more about Resolve I am amazed about how many functions are available. Coming from Camtasia - still a fun program - I am still a Resolve novice.

I think I am still a bit confused about what the scaling is for. I have watched some tutorial videos but people who I think work, or contribute, to DaVinci Resolve and their explanation of Scaling-->Fit function is to have the program auto-center the selected clip to the formatted screen dimensions. They explained that this is especially useful after using the Cropping function to remove certain parts of a clip, that make it uneven, and then automatically fill the exact limits of the screen format using the aforementioned Scaling-->Fit (or Fill).

If this is not the function of that tool is there a reference as to how/where that would be used?

Thank you again.

Jim Simon

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 4:22 pm

I think the Beginner's Guide and Advanced Editing manuals are good references.

But...I do recommend approaching them from the viewpoint of learning the software, rather than just looking for one specific thing.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... e/training
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

TheJuniorRecords

PostWed Dec 08, 2021 10:09 pm

Works in version 15, in version 17 does not work.

Timo Lenton

PostFri Nov 18, 2022 3:54 am

Im having such a hard time getting this to work. Followed so many tutorials and whatever I do my footage is always cropped.
version 18

DavidVogt

PostFri Nov 18, 2022 4:25 am

The confusion comes from the way the commands are designed to be used.

1. An uncropped image is loaded to your timeline
2. Use the inspector to select how the image with different pixel ratio should be treated.
a. Fit will place the image on the timeline so that the entire image can be seen. The area where a
mis-match occurrs will be bracketed by black bars.
b Fill will completely fill the timeline frame with the image, hiding the part of the mismatched image outside the timeline area.

3. From there in either case use the clip inspector to zoom and or crop to get your final image onto the timeline frame.
Mac Studio ultra
Monterey 12.4
128 GB ram
2 TB SSD
48 TB HD disc storage, multiple RAIDS

Return to DaVinci Resolve