Question about Dip to Color (Black) Dissolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

yonkiman

Question about Dip to Color (Black) Dissolve

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 9:15 pm

Most dissolves need a little "post-roll" on the back of Clip A and "pre-roll" at the beginning of Clip B, since there may elements of both clips during the entirety of the dissolve. Makes sense.

However Resolve's "Dip to Color" dissolve demands the same thing, even though there is no part of clip B in the first half of the dissolve and no part of clip A in the second.

Sometimes I have to edit together amateur video that has been "helpfully" pre-edited to where the action begins immediately, and I don't want to throw away 15 or 30 frames before the fade-in starts. In this case I can get the effect I want using the fade in/fade out handles on the clip, but it would be great to have a dissolve that I could just drop on the transition and be done.

Is that possible?

Jim Simon

Re: Question about Dip to Color (Black) Dissolve

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 9:28 pm

There is a Cross Dissolve you can use at the start of the cut.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Gary Hango

Re: Question about Dip to Color (Black) Dissolve

PostFri Apr 16, 2021 9:35 pm

I think all the video transitions are derived from a single effect, but with each just having different parameters. There would need to be some way that when dropping the Dip to Color transition on clips where one has no handles, the mechanism that prevents you from dropping other transitions would be overridden. Maybe you should add this to the Feature Request posts.
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700, 3.40GHz, 32.0 GB
MB: MSI, BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. A.60, 12/17/2015
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, 2Gb
Resolve 18.1.1.0007(Free)

Return to DaVinci Resolve