Backup folder could not be created

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ivanturas

Backup folder could not be created

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 5:10 pm

Hi! I haven't changed any DR settings, but started a new project last night and ran into this issue (see attached pic). Any ideas? I checked folder permissions and they're all set.

Thought I could have messed up after manually deleting files from my cache folder, but I changed its location and kept running into this.

Pretty sure it's not a bug, as there haven't been any changes to DR since my last project, so I'm trying to remember what else could I have changed on my end.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-04-17 130106.png
Screenshot 2021-04-17 130106.png (16.37 KiB) Viewed 480 times

Ivanturas

Re: Backup folder could not be created

PostThu Apr 22, 2021 12:55 am

Need to bump this up... anyone else know of this? Been trying several alternatives, rebuilt the whole folder structure, yet the issue remains, no matter which project it is. It's driving me nuts.

Ivanturas

Re: Backup folder could not be created

PostThu Apr 22, 2021 2:02 pm

FOUND IT!!!

By accident, that is: I was having issues with Google Drive for Desktop, so I started using rclone, which worked great, but since I needed more speed, I went with vfs cache, and there I also got a permissions issue. Ran it as admin and everything worked, but this morning I went digging further and that's when I found it: I use my cache folder to... well... cache, several applications. Similar to what windir/temp used to be (and still is, to an extent). One of those apps is the Visual Studio Installer, which left its setup files in there for future use, which is fine by me... but additionally, it locked the whole cache folder permissions. I thought I had them right, but after a more granular check saw the mess VS files where leaving. Once I set the VS installer not to keep its setup files and made sure they were gone, modified permissions yet again, but this time they stayed that way. Haven't had the chance to try on Resolve yet, but at least rclone & GDrive work again, without any admin elevations.

Return to DaVinci Resolve