Audio issues after rendering

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

chmedia_berlin

Audio issues after rendering

PostMon Apr 19, 2021 6:19 am

Hi,
recently - with Davinci v 17.1.1 on a macbook pro 16GB, Mojave, i observed audio issues in my rendered videos, like clicks , etc . I created videos (50minutes long) with the standard Youtube profile for full HD videos. The content , video and audio, is stored on a NAS (good bandwidth) . For my main timeline I use a multicam timeline . For creating the final video i create a "new Timeline using selected clips" to have a single artefact with all the cuts and effects (nothing special, just text etc) bundled. The rendering ist straightforward and faster than realtime (takes about 10 minutes). No error messages relating missing assets or so. Luckily i have a workaround - i store the media local on the Davinci Laptop. But this is not satisfying, as these errors can still occur i don't know the root cause .
Is this a known "issue" , or can i improve my process to prevent. My understanding is that the media has to be left intact after rendering . I cannot always listen though a 50 minutes video .
Thank you for your comments and improvements,
Best Christian

Uli Plank

Re: Audio issues after rendering

PostMon Apr 19, 2021 8:09 am

An NAS can have good bandwidth, but still cause problems with response times.
Which codec are you rendering? Is the audio 48 kHz?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

chmedia_berlin

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 12:06 pm

Uli Plank wrote:An NAS can have good bandwidth, but still cause problems with response times.
Which codec are you rendering? Is the audio 48 kHz?

Yes i use 48KHz, but i occurs with local media too, i observed.
MAybe something to do with audio drivers ? I now disabled the "standard" and use an "virtual" soundflower driver ...

Vit Reiter

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 12:45 pm

When DaVinci versions 15 and 16 made this issue, nothing helped - reducing the rendering speed, converting audio to proprietary wav, bouncing the audio track - nothing. It was a DaVinci bug that manifested itself especially when I used third-party plugins for audio. There was no error to hear while working at DaVinci, it was heard only after the export. It appeared only three times during the feature film (about 90 minutes). Then Blackmagic fixed it and version 16 is now reliable.

Due to such errors, DaVinci 17 cannot yet be run for serious work. I'm sorry that Blackmagic didn't learn and repeats the same mistakes. The certainty that it will be exported at 100% is above all new useful functions for the professional, because you cannot submit damaged material to televisions, make DCP from it or aggregate it on VOD platforms.
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.6 Studio (macOS Monterey 12.7.4)
Mac Pro 2013, AMD FirePro D700, 64GB RAM

Film Editor, Colorist, DIT, Datalab technician
linkedin.com/in/vít-reiter-film-editor

Vit Reiter

PostWed May 12, 2021 3:39 pm

If the BM team has solved the problems with the sound after the export, DaVinci will become interesting for professional use.
Does anyone know if the problem is solved?
DaVinci Resolve 18.6.6 Studio (macOS Monterey 12.7.4)
Mac Pro 2013, AMD FirePro D700, 64GB RAM

Film Editor, Colorist, DIT, Datalab technician
linkedin.com/in/vít-reiter-film-editor

Mike Wallis

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 11:02 am

I'm still getting audio glitches on export for YouTube from my Mac. But I'm not getting any exporting from a PC running the same version of Resolve - 17.2.1

The Mac is an older MacBook Pro (2013) running a 2.8GHz Quad core i7 with 16GB of ram and an Nvidia GT 650M with 1gb so it may be performance related.

I have found that if you export in custom mode and set the audio format to PCM the audio is fine.

Uli Plank

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 4:22 pm

That GPU is definitely under the minimum requirements published by BM.
That said, I'd just export ProRes and PCM and compress externally.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve