Multi camera edit changed codec?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

jallen0

Multi camera edit changed codec?

PostMon Apr 19, 2021 11:52 am

I have BRAW files that were used in a multi camera timeline and when I went to color correct them they were no longer BRAW files and would not show up in the Camera Raw tab. They were also in a 4k instead of 6k format but I think that was just the timeline resolution.

How can I get them back to BRAW files? Also, is this normal?
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

Jim Simon

Re: Multi camera edit changed codec?

PostMon Apr 19, 2021 1:38 pm

Think of Multicam as a picture frame, and the original clips as the picture.

When you go to Color from the main timeline, you're seeing the picture frame (Multicam), not the picture (BRAW clips). If you want to work on the original clips, you have a couple options.

1. Flatten the Multicam once you're done editing. This essentially takes the picture out of the frame, so to speak.

2. From Edit, right click on a Multicam clip and Open in Timeline. Then switch to Color.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

jallen0

PostMon Apr 19, 2021 3:17 pm

Jim, thank you for that, I'll try it later today. I think one thing that threw me was I also placed other interred videos into that multicam timeline and they showed up as BRAW clips. I can see from your post however this change likely only effects clips created for the multicam timeline.

Again, thanks
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
Desktop Video 12.1

jallen0

PostMon Apr 19, 2021 9:35 pm

Hm. I must be doing something wrong. I right clicked on the multicam timeline and selected "Open in Timeline" and it just brings me to my editing timeline. It's this timeline where the Camera Raw box is grayed out and non-selectable.

EDIT:

I just noticed that the Multicam clip I am editing shows, in the lower left corner, a filmstrip icon with 2 rectangles underneath it. In an earlier Multicam test, that WILL all me to color correct, its lower left icon is 4 squares.

I issue is the first one is my final edit and I don't want to have to redo the whole thing over again. It will allow me to convert it to a multicam timeline however when I do that I still have the Camera Raw options grayed out.
Desktop Video 12.1

Jim Simon

PostTue Apr 20, 2021 2:12 pm

You're need to right click on one of the Multicam clips in your editing timeline, then Open in Timeline.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve