eGPU Woes

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

AdamBailey

eGPU Woes

PostMon Apr 19, 2021 4:02 pm

Hiya team,

Resolve 17.1.1, on MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019), with a Vega64 eGPU isn't working well. I get 1-6 fps.
Resolve 16.2.8 is outstanding, and I am able to edit almost as well as my previous Hackintosh desktop.

In order to continue with the Apple ecosystem, I had to buy an Intel Mac (MBP for travel and on-site), and thus put together an eGPU. It was a good solution to keep my projects in Resolve, while maintaining compatability for those clients that demand Adobe. (For Now)

I would go all in on Resolve for my own productions and as many clients as possible, but for now that means I need my eGPU to be working. (Until Apple Silicon and GPU's become magical)

Is this a bug? Is Resolve abandoning eGPU for Apple? Or am I doing it wrong? I do prefer the UI and security of OSX over Windows.

Return to DaVinci Resolve