"Unsupported GPU Processing Mode" on Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

216ann

"Unsupported GPU Processing Mode" on Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS

PostMon Apr 19, 2021 6:53 pm

Hi, I am a noob so hopefully this post is not annoying. I am updating this post but still have the problems.

Everything was working fine using DRS17.1 on Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS.
I had installed using the "3rd party" option which installed the nividia graphics drivers fine.
However, I upgraded to 20.04.2 and also used the makeresolvedeb 1.5 script to upgrade to DRS 17.1.1.
I must have done something wrong because even though my monitor works fine with 4k, DRS 17.1.1 won't open responding:
Unsupported GPU Processing Mode
Please review the GPU drivers and GPU configuration under preferences.

When I do that, I see that there is no GPU listed under "GPU Configuration" of "Memory and GPU"
I read some other posts but they related to Win 10.
One post recommended that I run:
Code: Select all
~$ apt list --installed | grep 460

which returned
WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts

as well as a bunch of ubuntu0.20.04.1 files including
libnividia-compute as well as nvidia-computer-utils
Strange to see 20.04.1 files when I am supposedly in 20.04.2.

I was told by the maker of makeresolvedeb that it is not necessary to uninstall or remove the license of an existing DRS version to update it so that is unlikely the cause of the error.
He directed me to run "dpkg -l | grep nvidia" which seemed to show that
"ii nvidia-driver-460 460.39-0ubuntu0.20.04.1 amd64 NVIDIA driver metapackage" is installed.

Furthermore, under "Settings > Software & Updates > Additional Drivers > NVIDIA Corporation: Unknown" the box saying "Using NVIDIA driver metapackage from nvidia-driver-460 (proprietary)" is checked. And it says "1 proprietary driver in use"

Does the fact that it is 20.04.1 version versus the 20.04.2 that I actually have matter?
I am a bit stuck.
Because it seems that is should work or at least there should be the driver listed under the GPU window on Resolve.

BTW, if I were to want to completely uninstall one version of DRS on Ubuntu, how would I do that?

I have no intention of going back to Win 10 which had even more problems IMO.
Thanks for your help in advance.

Return to DaVinci Resolve