Color Shift Between Different Displays

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Sherlock8

Color Shift Between Different Displays

PostTue Apr 20, 2021 12:36 pm

I graded an entire movie on a macbook pro with the mac color profile HD 709-A, and when I rendered and uploaded it, I discovered that it looked different (slightly desaturated and darker) on different devices. Obviously, it was because of the color profile difference (I assume it should have been on Color LCD...the default one).
Is there a way to render it so that the HD 709 look is embedded on every device that plays the movie? Or do I have to re-color grade it with the default color profile?

Jim Simon

Re: Color Shift Between Different Displays

PostTue Apr 20, 2021 1:53 pm

Sherlock8 wrote:Is there a way to render it so that the HD 709 look is embedded on every device that plays the movie?
Not even Hollywood can do this, as not all displays are properly calibrated, and even those that are have different capabilities and won't calibrate identically.

And then there is the problem of added variables like the OS, GPU driver and software, all of which can and often do alter the image in some way.

The only image you can trust is one played from hardware (like a Decklink) to the best quality calibrated display you can afford. All other scenarios are suspect.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Sherlock8

Re: Color Shift Between Different Displays

PostTue Apr 20, 2021 2:41 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Sherlock8 wrote:Is there a way to render it so that the HD 709 look is embedded on every device that plays the movie?
Not even Hollywood can do this, as not all displays are properly calibrated, and even those that are have different capabilities and won't calibrate identically.

And then there is the problem of added variables like the OS, GPU driver and software, all of which can and often do alter the image in some way.

The only image you can trust is one played from hardware (like a Decklink) to the best quality calibrated display you can afford. All other scenarios are suspect.

I don't really mean it like that. Let me put it another way: is there a way to play the HD 709-A look on a P3 display (every iphone since 7). Basically, I want to convert what is on my screen (with the HD 709 profile applied) to the exact same looking footage but on a default Color LCD or P3 profile.

Return to DaVinci Resolve