[Bug] 0 ratio on transition not really 0

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jean Paul Sneider

[Bug] 0 ratio on transition not really 0

PostTue Apr 20, 2021 1:22 pm

Using a cross dissolve and adding a key frame with value 0 to delay the beginning of the transition to make it asymmetrical. But the transition is already partially visible from the start. Making it unusable despite necessary in some workflows (dolby vision) for example. Is there an othe way to make the transition asymmetrical? Sometimes it defaults to it when it comes from an aaf but I haven't been able to create one otherwise

Jim Simon

Re: [Bug] 0 ratio on transition not really 0

PostTue Apr 20, 2021 1:27 pm

Set the Ease for the transition to In.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Jean Paul Sneider

PostSat Apr 24, 2021 7:52 pm

Doesnt solves the problem. I attach a test example with solid colors

https://we.tl/t-Ag1qw6Flg4

xunile

PostSat Apr 24, 2021 8:08 pm

Have you tried using the Transition Keyframes Curve Adjustments to manually change the timing of the keyframes?
Attachments
2021-04-24 (15).png
2021-04-24 (15).png (338.55 KiB) Viewed 626 times
2021-04-24 (16).png
2021-04-24 (16).png (338.48 KiB) Viewed 626 times
2021-04-24 (17).png
2021-04-24 (17).png (338.56 KiB) Viewed 626 times
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Jim Simon

PostSun Apr 25, 2021 3:05 pm

Jean Paul Sneider wrote:Doesnt solves the problem.
It worked here.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Jean Paul Sneider

PostSun Jun 06, 2021 12:31 am

On version 17.2.1 still unable to make it work.
Transiiton even if at "0" are slightly present.
I understand that an "offset" transition is just a recentered one, but it would be helpful to be able to use the keyframes when conforming from other softwares edit.

Marc Wielage

PostSun Jun 06, 2021 3:23 am

Jean Paul Sneider wrote:...but it would be helpful to be able to use the keyframes when conforming from other softwares edit.

Actually, this is an XML problem more than a Resolve problem. You can't take a Premiere project and bring it into Avid and have the transitions work perfectly. And you can't take an Avid project and bring it into FCPX and have the transitions work, perfectly. Neither of them go into Baselight or any other color correction system, either.

We have a Client Turnover Specs document we give to clients warning them what files we need, how they should prep them, how they should setup their timelines for a seamless conform, how they should create AAF and XML files, and where potential problems can happen. Transitions are not guaranteed, titles don't work well, speed changes work a little bit, speed ramps generally don't work at all, and composites don't work very well. This has been true in post for decades, even going back to linear editing.

We traditionally use a Reference Movie to check the conform and recreate the transitions, effects, and speed changes to match them frame-by-frame. We know going in that the list never comes in 100%, and we budget our time knowing it always requires human effort to make it perfect.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Peter Cave

PostSun Jun 06, 2021 6:34 am

Transitions work as I would expect. The first frame of a transition is already IN the transition therefore has begun to transition. This is how it always worked from the days of linear tape editing. The zero value you are trying to keyframe is not transparency but transition curve, which allows modification of the amount of transition completion, not the amount of transparency. Both Premiere and Avid also work this way, except Premiere has no curve adjustment. I have not used Avid for a while so can't recall if it has a transition curve adjustment.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Jean Paul Sneider

PostSun Jun 06, 2021 4:43 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
Jean Paul Sneider wrote:...but it would be helpful to be able to use the keyframes when conforming from other softwares edit.

Actually, this is an XML problem more than a Resolve problem. You can't take a Premiere project and bring it into Avid and have the transitions work perfectly. And you can't take an Avid project and bring it into FCPX and have the transitions work, perfectly. Neither of them go into Baselight or any other color correction system, either.

We have a Client Turnover Specs document we give to clients warning them what files we need, how they should prep them, how they should setup their timelines for a seamless conform, how they should create AAF and XML files, and where potential problems can happen. Transitions are not guaranteed, titles don't work well, speed changes work a little bit, speed ramps generally don't work at all, and composites don't work very well. This has been true in post for decades, even going back to linear editing.

We traditionally use a Reference Movie to check the conform and recreate the transitions, effects, and speed changes to match them frame-by-frame. We know going in that the list never comes in 100%, and we budget our time knowing it always requires human effort to make it perfect.

I might not have been clear. I am quite ocnfiident with the conforming process. you can skip that line and the post woudl still amke sense. I want a asymmetrical transition.
I would do it by changing the curve. Setting a delayed "0" or a early "100" but the begining till the keframed zero will already show partially the next clip.

An the attachment an example. I am blending a black frame with a black frame with an A. I moved the "0" to a delayed postion but I already see a gost "A" if it is indend is there a way to create an asymetrical transition?

(I know that an asymettrical trnasition is equivalent to a symmetrical one with a moved center point but beeing able to make it asyemttrical would make life easier in certain situations.)
Attachments
CROSS DISSOLVE.JPG
CROSS DISSOLVE.JPG (58.4 KiB) Viewed 488 times

Peter Cave

PostMon Jun 07, 2021 5:11 am

What you are doing by changing the transition curve in that way is changing the duration of the transition, not just making it asymmetrical. Personally I would avoid doing it that way because other systems will not understand the Resolve way and any XML, EDL or AAF will ignore it, which could potentially be an issue at a later time. If you want the transition to start at a different time AND have different duration I would modify the transition in the usual way, especially as it's not possible to do it the way you are asking. It's not a bug, it's just how it works.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Jean Paul Sneider

PostTue Jun 22, 2021 10:00 am

I know I change the duration, and making it asymmetrical that's the point. I don't care for compatibility since I finalize the project so it won't change software

Return to DaVinci Resolve