CST Vs Input Color Space

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Lindkold

CST Vs Input Color Space

PostTue Apr 20, 2021 2:11 pm

Could someone please help enlighten me regarding the difference of a CST vs. right-clicking a clip and changing "Input Color Space"?

I have a Prores 422 clip shot on Alexa Mini.
Color Management is set to "Davinci YRGB Color Managed" and "Davinci Wide Gamut"
Output color space is set to "Rec.709 Gamma 2.4"

If I make a CST Node setting Input Color Space/Gamma to ARRI Alexa/Arri LogC the image looks crushed. See photo.

If I remove the CST and instead right-click and select Input Color Space > Arri LogC, the image opens up.

If I want to grade it for Rec.709, Gamma 2.4, what is the correct approach?
Attachments
Input-Color-Space.jpeg
Input Color Space
Input-Color-Space.jpeg (217.16 KiB) Viewed 4274 times
Color Managed.png
DaVinci YRGB Color Managed
Color Managed.png (77.54 KiB) Viewed 4274 times
CST.jpeg
CST
CST.jpeg (182.1 KiB) Viewed 4274 times
Last edited by Lindkold on Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Simon

Re: CST Vs. Input Color Space

PostTue Apr 20, 2021 2:15 pm

Input Color Space is the correct approach.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Lindkold

Re: CST Vs. Input Color Space

PostTue Apr 20, 2021 2:23 pm

Thank you, Jim. That also makes sense from just looking at the image after the change.

Could you, or anyone, explain why CST with the same settings looks so different?

I thought a CST did the same thing as changing the Input Color Space, but obviously something very different happens. I guess I'm just not clever enough to know what the difference is or when to use one over the other.

Hendrik Proosa

Re: CST Vs Input Color Space

PostTue Apr 20, 2021 5:19 pm

For CST to work as expected, image data before CST must match what you set the input to. My guess is that you already have an implicit transform there, due to color management, so it is modified. What is your clip interpreted as by default?
I do stuff

Lindkold

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 8:10 am

Thanks Hendrik,

I know it's shot on a Alexa Mini - and it's Prores 422HQ. I'm not sure how I can see what it's interpreted as other than that? Color Science is set to Davinci YRGB Color Managed.

RikshaDriver

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 8:47 am

When you have Color Management enabled, your footage will always be interpreted as something.

If you haven't configured the Input Color Space, Resolve attempts to set it based on the metadata. Normally with Log footage, this ends up being interpreted as Rec.709.

When you're adding a CST to a Color Managed clip, you're doing a Color Space / Gamma conversion on that footage that has already been "interpreted" and normalized to the timeline (in your case DaVinci Wide Gamut / Intermediate). So the interpreted source is wrong and then the CST is further compounding that wrong.
GitHub Projects: https://github.com/xtremestuff/
Commercial Plugins: https://xtremestuff.net/store/

Lindkold

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 3:36 pm

Thank you for a detailed answer Asim.

So you would normally only apply CST to non-Color Managed clips?

RikshaDriver

PostWed Apr 21, 2021 9:58 pm

The CST can be used anywhere. You just need to be aware of what the settings are at your point in the pipeline.

For example, you can set input color space to bypass and use a CST to transform that footage. But this is just extra effort.
GitHub Projects: https://github.com/xtremestuff/
Commercial Plugins: https://xtremestuff.net/store/

Lindkold

PostThu Apr 22, 2021 7:08 am

RikshaDriver wrote:The CST can be used anywhere. You just need to be aware of what the settings are at your point in the pipeline.

For example, you can set input color space to bypass and use a CST to transform that footage. But this is just extra effort.

Got it - thank you very much for the explanation.

shebbe

PostThu Apr 22, 2021 8:27 am

Just did some testing and wanted to add some info.

Found the weirdest behavior. It seems that the CST doesn't understand Color Managed.
The output space and gamma set to timeline is actually taking the output space of managed and not the timeline space. This is why everything becomes crushed.

If you'd want to use CSTs for whatever reason over setting the Input Color Space at clip level you'd have to manually set the CST's output to DaVinci Wide Gamut / DaVinci Intermediate and not Use Timeline.

In general I wouldn't recommend this workflow in Color Managed unless you really want to visually see what's going on. But at that point you might as well do a non-managed custom setup.
Home System Resolve 18.6b9: Z790 / i9 13900K / 64GB DDR5 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / ASUS PA32UGC 1600 nits
Office System Resolve 18.6b9: X570 / Ryzen 9 5900X / 128GB DDR4 / RTX4090 / Win 11 / EIZO CG248-K

Lindkold

PostThu Apr 22, 2021 4:18 pm

Interesting input.

Having to manually override the "Use Timeline settings" sounds like a bug, but I don't know if there's another reason for that.

Return to DaVinci Resolve