Studio 17.1.1 M1 — GPU Failed to perform image processing

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

birdoperator

Studio 17.1.1 M1 — GPU Failed to perform image processing

PostThu Apr 22, 2021 8:01 pm

I'm using Resolve Studio 17.1.1 Build 9 on an M1 MacBook Air. Everything's going really well, but on 4k-6k clips with multiple power windows, tracking, noise reduction, I routinely get "The GPU failed to perform image processing because of an error." It also sometimes happens on less complicated shots.

After the warning results vary from breaking the viewer entirely, to breaking playback, to only breaking that shot. Sometimes restarting works, sometimes the errors seem to be intrinsic to the particular clip and appear consistently. Sometimes proxy mode helps, sometimes not. I'm aware that the computer I'm using is fundamentally underpowered for the work I'm doing—that said I have the time for things to be working slowly, as long as they are actually working.

I'm using Metal—I tried changing to Open CL, which failed to render images accurately (banding appeared even at full resolution) so I quickly changed back to Metal.

I've attached capture logs. Any thoughts?

EDIT: Reading through troubleshooting I see that crash logs must be generated *immediately* after a crash, I've recreated the issue and replaced the file.
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20210422-145523.tgz
(804.42 KiB) Downloaded 283 times

Uli Plank

Re: Studio 17.1.1 M1 — GPU Failed to perform image processin

PostThu Apr 22, 2021 10:00 pm

I'm afraid you are expecting too much from that meagre GPU.
I agree that it is a bug, since there should simply be a message like "GPU memory full".
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

birdoperator

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 5:41 am

Yup.

The biggest thing I've figured out is that in Resolve 17 (vs 15 where I am coming from) you need to wait until the GPU is done caching / processing whatever it is you've just clicked on before trying to do anything else.

With that approach I now mostly avoid the above mentioned errors, although it takes some intuitive guessing / feel for the software to know what to look for to know if there is processing going on (Ex. thumbnail not refreshed, scopes not updated, etc.). All in all this is astonishingly good for a... (what???) MacBook Air with no fan.

Frank Glencairn

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 7:16 am

birdoperator wrote:Yup.

All in all this is astonishingly good for a... (what???) MacBook Air with no fan.

It actually is astonishingly good for what it is, but on the other hand, it also is a bit like bringing a knife to a gun fight. Don't expect wonders - there are limitations, and it doesn't replace a proper workstation.
Maybe in a few years it will though.
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

Return to DaVinci Resolve