“3D”Audio clips have turned red and cannot be played-Updated

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Christopher Irion

“3D”Audio clips have turned red and cannot be played-Updated

PostThu Apr 22, 2021 11:55 pm

I attempted to change a single audio clip from mono to stereo using the drop-down menu in the media pool where I thought I saw an option that said “change to stereo.“ All of the clips in the track turned bright solid red (something I’ve never seen before) and no audio would play. Waveform was no longer present.

When I attempted to go back one step to fix the problem resolve crashed. I assumed my change would not be saved and that I would be fine on reopening. Unfortunately, The main audio track in the edit timeline is still bright red and I can find no way to change it back. Note: this is not the media offline alert, or the cache being processed thin red line. The clip in the timeline is solid bright red. As you can see, the whole track did not turn
red, only some clips.

Couldn’t find any reference to this anywhere. Hoping someone can help as the as the project was almost completely done and ready to export. Nightmare to re-edit.

ADDENDUM/UPDATE: I can now see that the clips from the camera that have both audio and video show up in the Media Page as having a "3D" Icon add the front of the clip name. (See image below) this looks like it might be part of the problem, but as search of the manual end of the forum do not offer any clues.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 10.13.50 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 10.13.50 AM.png (924.27 KiB) Viewed 1546 times
Resolve 18.2 Studio

iMac Pro (2017)
OS12.5

3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W (10 Core)
64 GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 56 8GB

Jim Simon

Re: “3D”Audio clips have turned red and cannot be played-UPD

PostFri Apr 23, 2021 3:30 pm

I'm not seeing anything "3D" related in the posted image.

Those red clips are in a mono track. Stereo clips should go in a stereo track.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Christopher Irion

PostFri Apr 23, 2021 3:39 pm

Strange. I posted the second image from the media pool that was showing up when I reviewed it.
At any rate, just before the clip name at the very left side of the media pool there is a little icon symbol that indicates that it’s an audio or video clip, or whatever. In this case there is a little square box with3D inside it.

I seem to have inadvertently changed the audio to 3-D. But I can’t find a way to change it back. And in fact 3-D audio is not even referenced in the Resolve manual as far as I can tell.

I've tried relinking the files to the original folder, but "3D" icon is unchanged and audio still missing.

Here is the image
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 10.42.32 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 10.42.32 AM.png (173.59 KiB) Viewed 1534 times
Last edited by Christopher Irion on Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resolve 18.2 Studio

iMac Pro (2017)
OS12.5

64 GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 56 8GB

Jim Simon

PostFri Apr 23, 2021 3:44 pm

I don't think there's any such thing as 3D audio. At least, the term is not commonly used in association with audio. It's typically referred to as surround or multi-channel.

As you also have still images with that symbol, it likely isn't referencing the audio at all, and is a separate issue.

The way Resolve handles audio for a clip is is changed with Clip Attributes, available via right click.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Christopher Irion

PostFri Apr 23, 2021 4:16 pm

jim-
Yes you are right, they are not the designation for audio alone. The logo next to the clip name – just the left, is either a musical note if it's a strictly audio file or a box with dots on the left and right that indicate a film strip like icon. That's typical and all the rest of my projects. In this case that icon has turned from a film frame to a film frame with " 3D" in the middle of it.

If I open the "clip attributes" box this is what I see: (nothing in the "VIDEO" tab looks out of order either. I'm really stumped and completely stuck.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 12.13.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 12.13.24 PM.png (119.76 KiB) Viewed 1526 times
Resolve 18.2 Studio

iMac Pro (2017)
OS12.5

64 GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 56 8GB

Dmitry Kitsov BMD

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Apr 23, 2021 9:49 pm

Hello, Christopher,
indeed, Convert to Stereo context menu option is intended for the Stereo 3D workflows and not for audio.

You can recover relatively painlessly:

Make sure that you are working on a duplicate of the project which you can make by using the File ▸ Save As… menu option. Then…

1. Create a Smart Bin with the following matching rules: MediaPool Properties: S3D Sync: is: 0 (this is a zero, not an 'O')
    This Smart Bin will show all of the clips that we converted. If you have enabled the Usage column in the List View of the Media Pool you will see how many times the clip was used in an edit.
  2. Select all clips in the Smart Bin and right-click on one of them, choose the Split Stereo 3D Clips context menu option.
    This will create two folders named 'Left' and 'Right' in each of the bins that the original clips that got converted to Stereo 3D have resided.
    You can quickly check the usage of the clips in each one of the folders, and I expect that you will see that only the clips in the 'Left' folder will have any usage. As both the 'Left' and the 'Right' folder will have the same clips in them, you can normally delete all the 'Right' folders.
  3. In the timeline that you have affected clips use, select all (⌘-A) then use the timeline clip's context menu option Conform Lock Enabled which is normally set, to disable the conform lock. If this was done successfully, you will see that the tick mark next to the option's name in the context menu will be gone.
  4. Use the Timeline ▸ Find current timeline in the Media Pool menu option to automatically locate the timeline object in the meid pool that corresponds to the timeline you are currently working in.
  5. Use the timeline context menu option Timeline ▸ Timelines ▸ Reconform from bins… with its default options other than the Set clips to Conorm Lock Enabled after conform option. This may not be necessary if you are fairly confident all of your media has unique names.
  6. Once the operation completes, you should now see all of the video and audio clips on your timeline fully conformed, visible and audible if played though. Some of them may have an <!> symbol. Double click on some of those clips on the <!> symbol to check that the correct clip was conformed — if you see just one option, then it simply an indicator of the Conform Lock disabled. Select all and use the clip's context menu option Conform Lock Enabled to reenable the conform lock.
  7. At this time if you wish to have no reminder of the kerfuffle, you can move the clips remaining in the respective 'Left' folder up one level to the respective containing them bins and delete all of the, now empty, 'Left' bins.

An alternative and perhaps simpler, but maybe more nerve-wrecking approach (hence the recommendation to do this on a copy of the project):
  1. Create a Smart Bin with the following matching rules: MediaPool Properties: S3D Sync: is: 0 (this is a zero, not an 'O')
    This Smart Bin will show all of the clips that we converted. If you have enabled the Usage column in the List View of the Media Pool you will see how many times the clip was used in an edit.
  2. Select all clips in the Smart Bin and right-click on one of them and choose to Remove Selected Clips There will be a confirmation dialog. Once this is done, the clips will be gone from the Media pool and so will all of their media pool properties including the Stereo 3D status.
  3. Using the media browser navigate to and then add back the clips that were removed. You may need to change the clip attributes to match what was previously done, if necessary.
Please let me know if you have any other questions regarding this matter.
Last edited by Dmitry Kitsov BMD on Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackmagic Design Sr.Technical Support Engineer

Christopher Irion

Re: “3D”Audio clips have turned red and cannot be played-Upd

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 4:01 pm

I had a lot of issues trying to execute "split stereo 3-D clips.” After trying to select them all and split them, the program crashed. I had to resort to deleting them one or two at a time,
and after having some success, many times the program would crash, and I had to continue only deleting them one by one which often took several tries before the command could be executed successfully without resolve crashing.

At the end, I had two files left which I could not change. I deleted them as you suggested in the second alternative. At first I was unable to add back in either clip without the program crashing. I was finally successful with one clip by choosing "add clip to media pool" from the drop-down menu rather than dragging it in.

I have one clip left, a single framed JPEG with type that is used in the title sequence in a blend mode. I've not been able to get that in the media pool in any way, having tried everything I could think of, without the program crashing.

I have emailed the Resolve logs and SPX file.
Resolve 18.2 Studio

iMac Pro (2017)
OS12.5

64 GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 56 8GB

Christopher Irion

PostTue Apr 27, 2021 2:04 am

Dmitry-

Since the JPEG image was the only one left and I couldn't get it into the media pool, I decided to make an exact copy, rename the one that wasn't working, and name the new one with the old name so the EDL would recognize it. I was hoping that whatever bad juju was messing with the old file, would be gone with the new.

I had no problem working with the old file until the 3-D issue. So I'm not sure why I am still having this issue.

Can you put the JPEG that I sent you in a timeline and see if it works on your end?
Resolve 18.2 Studio

iMac Pro (2017)
OS12.5

64 GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 56 8GB

Christopher Irion

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 11:20 am

Dmitry-

Still having issues with resolve crashing on any operation meant to solve the problem.

The latest from using the context menu “timeline/timelines/reconfirm from bins” with the option “conform lock enabled“ checked, which causes resolve to crash and not save changes.

Clearly there is a bug or some other procedure that is wrong here that is causing resolve to crash repeatedly. You now have the resolve log and the SPX file as well as the DRP.

Looking forward to what you find out. We are at a dead end until we can get this fixed.
Resolve 18.2 Studio

iMac Pro (2017)
OS12.5

64 GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 56 8GB

Christopher Irion

PostWed Apr 28, 2021 5:03 pm

Dmitry-

I decided to try your second method of deleting all the problem files in the left pin, and then adding them back in from the source folders.

Same problem as before. The media bin showed that they had been added, but the program immediately crashed. Upon restarting there were no newly added files in the media bin.

at a complete standstill now. Need your help.

I've added the resolve log
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20210428-130214.zip
(515.37 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
Resolve 18.2 Studio

iMac Pro (2017)
OS12.5

64 GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 56 8GB

Christopher Irion

PostThu Apr 29, 2021 11:17 pm

Dmitry,
Can you please give me an update? Do you need anything else from me? Repeated crashing can’t be because I’m doing something wrong, this has to be a bug. We are dead in the water with this project until we can get this fixed.
Resolve 18.2 Studio

iMac Pro (2017)
OS12.5

64 GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 56 8GB

Return to DaVinci Resolve