Out of gamut p3d65 limited

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Marqin

Out of gamut p3d65 limited

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 7:01 pm

Hello everyone. Here's my problem:

I'm using Resolve 17.1.1 studio version
My color managmente is Aces cct, aces version 1.1
My ODT is rec.2020 ST2084 (1000 nits, p3d65 limited)

After doing the color correction and export in Pro Res 4444 XQ, I check the file and find that it is out of the gamut of p3.

Any on how to help the resolve to limite correctly? I have also tried with resolve 16 and had the same result.

Thanks!

Hendrik Proosa

Re: Out of gamut p3d65 limited

PostSat May 01, 2021 6:25 am

How do you check for out of gamutness? One thing to try: export to strictly RGB based format, for example exr sequence, and check if you also go out of gamut there. If you don't, then only reason I could think of is Y'CbCr to RGB conversion producing out of gamut values due to invalid/illegal signal excursions or rounding errors. You can go out of gamut only if one or more of RGB channels has negative values.

Could you share a short prores4444 clip that demonstrates the out of gamut values?
I do stuff

Marqin

PostSat May 01, 2021 12:43 pm

Hendrik Proosa wrote:How do you check for out of gamutness? One thing to try: export to strictly RGB based format, for example exr sequence, and check if you also go out of gamut there. If you don't, then only reason I could think of is Y'CbCr to RGB conversion producing out of gamut values due to invalid/illegal signal excursions or rounding errors. You can go out of gamut only if one or more of RGB channels has negative values.

Could you share a short prores4444 clip that demonstrates the out of gamut values?

Hi Hendrik,
My native codec for encoding the prores4444 is XOCN ST. I'll try to do an export in .exr and see what happens.
I'm checking the out of gamut with Transkoder QC Tools.
I do the test and I let you know.

Thanks,

Jim Simon

PostSat May 01, 2021 7:39 pm

I would expect that to work.

Can you try a DNx render, using MXF files? (Trying to get the buggy QuickTime variable out of the way.)

There is also a P3-D65 ST.2084 option that might prove useful. (Or do you need that 2020 tag?)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSun May 02, 2021 1:58 am

Marqin wrote:Hello everyone. Here's my problem:

After doing the color correction and export in Pro Res 4444 XQ, I check the file and find that it is out of the gamut of p3.

Any on how to help the resolve to limite correctly? I have also tried with resolve 16 and had the same result.

Thanks!

how do you check out of gamut?
how much out, where, how many pixels....

I found that some "checkers" throw an out of gamut error if ONE pixel is out by just ONE code value. This is possible to generate if you have a saturated color on a edge and the scaler does a bit of sharpen in the edge...
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Marqin

PostMon May 03, 2021 5:43 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:
Marqin wrote:Hello everyone. Here's my problem:

Thanks!

how do you check out of gamut?
how much out, where, how many pixels....

I found that some "checkers" throw an out of gamut error if ONE pixel is out by just ONE code value. This is possible to generate if you have a saturated color on a edge and the scaler does a bit of sharpen in the edge...

Hi Walter, i'm checking with Transkoder QC Tools. But I realized that this whole issue is related to the interpretation of the data levels that Resolve does.
In my delivery i'm setting up data levels in "full". that's correct.
When i bring back that file to Resolve, i'm out of p3. But, if i change de clip attributes to FULL, the signal is back inside de P3 gamut and I get the same result as in my OCF grade.

So, I started looking for more information. On page 219 of the resolve 17 manual it says:

"Internal Image Processing and Clip Data Levels
It’s useful to know that, internally to DaVinci Resolve,all image data is processed as full range, uncompressed, 32-bit floating point data. What this means is that each clip in the Media Pool, whatever its original bit-depth or data range, is scaled into full-range 32-bit data. How each clip is scaled depends on its Levels setting in the Clip Attributes window, available from the Media Pool contextual menu."

This is where I get lost. If resolve interprets everything in full, why should I change the clip attributes?

On the other hand, if i import the prores4444 data levels full exported with resolve in my transkoder, using the "video range" node set to FULL/LEGAL (i believe this is a convertion from full to legal), i'm inside of p3 gamut again.
I hope you could understand me. Thanks.

Jim Simon wrote:I would expect that to work.

Can you try a DNx render, using MXF files? (Trying to get the buggy QuickTime variable out of the way.)

There is also a P3-D65 ST.2084 option that might prove useful. (Or do you need that 2020 tag?)

Hi Jim,
If i export a DNX 444 12 bit im inside of p3 gamut.

Return to DaVinci Resolve