Motion Blur samples

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Christoffer Glans

Motion Blur samples

PostMon May 03, 2021 6:02 pm

I'm beginning to move over to Resolve from Premiere more and more and I've previously used RSMB for motion blur there. Now I'm thinking I can use the built-in motion blur tools. However, even though I set motion blur to large motion and better, it's much worse than RSMB at finding motion, but the worst part is that it doesn't have nearly as many samples as needed to do proper motion blur. You can clearly see the sharp samples.

How do I increase samples? And if not possible, how can the sample amount be capped like this? It's really bad.

Christoffer Glans

Re: Motion Blur samples

PostWed Sep 22, 2021 1:43 pm

As I'm into a new project needing motion blur, I'm bumping this thread as it's still a problem.

Why can't BM at least increase the samples? Let us have a number. Better yet, let us have full control based on physical camera specs. Like using degrees instead of an abstract slider. Putting in 180 degrees then matches 180 degrees on a camera (or 50th/second shutter). Let us be able to put in as many samples as possible. And if possible, increase Resolve's ability to track motion better than as it is now since it drops out of motion blur all the time when not being able to track motion vectors.

panos_mts

PostWed Sep 22, 2021 1:59 pm

There is a separate Motion Blur effect with some extra parameters in the latest version of Resolve.
Attachments
MotionBlur.png
MotionBlur.png (10.69 KiB) Viewed 939 times

Christoffer Glans

PostThu Sep 23, 2021 9:50 am

Are the extra settings increasing samples?

panos_mts

PostThu Sep 23, 2021 11:04 am

I think Granularity controls the number of samples.

Here are some examples:

Granularity 1:
Granularity1.png
Granularity1.png (66.3 KiB) Viewed 881 times

Granularity 3:
Granularity3.png
Granularity3.png (65.95 KiB) Viewed 881 times

Granularity 50:
Granularity50.png
Granularity50.png (55.57 KiB) Viewed 881 times

Christoffer Glans

PostThu Sep 23, 2021 11:28 am

How's the pixel tracking quality compared to RSMB?

Thing is, if Resolve is getting higher quality motion blur, then there's no need to pay $120 for RSMB, but if Resolve isn't even close to RSMB, then it's better to just pay for that.

Andy Mees

PostThu Sep 23, 2021 12:03 pm

Given your personal experience of RSMB and need for the effect, Christoffer, I think your best bet is to test for yourself... and then report back to the rest of us!.

Also, price wise, it's almost certainly worth your while checking in with the RevisionFX sales and support team.... they may be able to offer you a good crossgrade or bundle deal for the Resolve version (from Premiere Pro)
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

ZRGARDNE

PostThu Sep 23, 2021 9:22 pm

I typically apply MB is post as I can't be bothered to deal with ND filters.

I didn't know this OpenFx MB existed, I just used the one in the motion tabs on Color page.

Always happy to get faster exports, I benchmarked the following options on a recent export. Source 8k raw from R5. Better motion Est, medium range, 25 blur

No MB, 5.7fps
'old MB' 3.53 fps
Open Fx, granularity 1, 3.47 fps
Open Fx, granularity 20, 3.43 fps

so seems no real speed penalty to using high granularity, at least in my test samples of 1.

I will probably switch out my power grade to this, just because.

Return to DaVinci Resolve