Color Space Transform settings BMPCC 4K

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Lyndon Heap

Color Space Transform settings BMPCC 4K

PostTue May 04, 2021 3:37 pm

Hello All,

Could someone advise me what the correct settings should be for Input Color Space and Input Gamma for a BMPCC 4k: clip shot in BRAW at 8.1 compression, 4k DCI, Constant Bitrate.

Thank You.

Lyndon

Jim Simon

Re: Color Space Transform settings BMPCC 4K

PostTue May 04, 2021 3:46 pm

I know that for RCM and ACES, that is set automatically by Resolve for RAW formats.

I don't use CST nodes, preferring RCM and ACES, but maybe it's the same?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Jason Conrad

PostTue May 04, 2021 8:55 pm

You'll need to provide more information before anyone can answer. What color management settings are you using? What's your desired output spec? Also, since you're talking about RAW, why are you using a CST? Why not just set the color space in the RAW controls? Are you trying to match another camera? That info would be helpful as well.
-MacBook Pro (14,3) i7 2.9 GHz 16 GB, Intel 630, AMD 560 x1
-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

John Paines

PostTue May 04, 2021 9:36 pm

In v16, input color space and gamma would both be BMPCC Pocket 4K Film Gen 4 (as you might expect). Assuming you have project Color preferences set to Davinci YRGB and time color space to rec. 709 2.4, then the output space/gamma would be "use timeline".

I don't know if v17 currently supports Gen5 in CSTs; if so, that would be an option as well.

I would not use the transforms in the Raw tab, as previously suggested: those settings would be left at Color Space Blackmagic Design and Gamma Blackmagic Design Film, with the CST bringing the clip into rec. 709.

Or, alternately, use Resolve Color Management, which will automatically set the input color space for the braw clips.

Lyndon Heap

PostWed May 05, 2021 9:41 pm

Thanks John, your reply gives me the information I needed.

Return to DaVinci Resolve