Inconsistent Timeline-Zoom increments on the Edit Page

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

AtillaLifeson

Inconsistent Timeline-Zoom increments on the Edit Page

PostWed May 05, 2021 8:12 am

Hello fellow users, dear BM-Team,

I find it increasingly difficult to zoom in and out of the timeline using the ALT/Option + mousewheel combo.

If you are completely zoomed out and want to zoom in on another place for instance, the initial zoom increments are so over the top that the whole timeline view keeps jumping around and thus make it visually very straining and unpleasant to work with.

I don't know if its my OS or hardware (tried another mouse as well). Also, using the setting to zoom around the playhead produces the same unpleasant zoom-behaviour. Am I the only one getting this? Or is there any possible solution to it I'm not aware of?

If it's the way Resolve is developed, I strongly suggest to either set the zoom increments to one basic value or even make it possible to set custom increment values or (if you want so) behaviours.

I have attached a short screenrecording for further clarification:

What I'm working on:

DR 17.1
Win10
Logitech MXKeys and MXMaster 3

AtillaLifeson

Re: Inconsistent Timeline-Zoom increments on the Edit Page

PostThu Jun 03, 2021 11:32 am

Quick reply to the problem mentioned:

I recently found out that whenever your Resolve Window isn't "active" (for example you are tabbed into another application like your internet browser) and you move your mouse over the Resolve Timeline despite being active in another application, the scrolling behaviour is extremely smooth and the way I would like it to behave when I'm actively working in Resolve. Meaning: consistently and buttery smooth, no incosistent incremental timeline-zoom.

Now I don't know if it's because of the mouse I'm using (Logitech MX Master 3) or if it's a bug in Resolve.
I will attach another screenrecording soon, once I have some spare time.

Jim Simon

PostThu Jun 03, 2021 6:02 pm

I don't see a problem.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

AtillaLifeson

PostFri Jun 25, 2021 12:10 pm

This is what I was talking about:

Keep in mind I didn't know how to reproduce what I was experiencing on my first screenrecording (fluid timeline zoom behaviour).

My guess is that the hardware acceleration from Firefox somehow also gets translated over to Resolves Timeline Zoom behaviour when NOT being active in Resolve but in Firefox.

It doesnt act like this when being active in any other application (at least the ones I have tested out).

I don't know about other editors but I would personally prefer the "fluid" way of timeline orientation.

Interestingly enough it actually behaves like that on my MBP 13 M1 when working with the Trackpad. Didn't test it with a mouse though.

Noerde

PostSat Jun 26, 2021 10:18 am

AtillaLifeson wrote:Interestingly enough it actually behaves like that on my MBP 13 M1 when working with the Trackpad. Didn't test it with a mouse though.

Maybe Firefox overrides your mouse's native windows scroll settings, but Resolve doesn't.

I.e., win + i -> devices -> mouse -> choose how many lines to scroll.

I have no idea if that setting affects anything, but I have it at minimum.

AtillaLifeson

PostSun Jun 27, 2021 11:37 am

Noerde wrote:Maybe Firefox overrides your mouse's native windows scroll settings, but Resolve doesn't.

I.e., win + i -> devices -> mouse -> choose how many lines to scroll.

I have no idea if that setting affects anything, but I have it at minimum.

Thanks for your reply. I also think that's the case (Firefox enabling some sort of scrolling hardware acceleration) and I also have the scrolling speed at the absolute minimum. Otherwise I find it unmanagable to scroll/navigate through the OS, any windows and browsers.

Is the timeline zoom on your machine "fluid" or "choppy" (like it's zooming in increments) when using ALT+Mousewheel?

What's actually the standard? The choppy-incremental timeline zoom or the fluid, smoothly "animated" timeline zoom?

Jakob Klaffs

PostFri Feb 11, 2022 3:29 pm

Thanks for this post, I would be very curious if there is any solution/modification to it by now, since I also struggle a lot since starting to use DR a year ago. I would be happy if the choppy and uneven increments of zoom steps performed by alt/option+wheel would be evened out. At a certain zoom level it makes a huge jump.
If even there would be a regular possibility of zooming as smooth as your video shows, with the app not in focus, that would be even better.

Thanks for any suggestion!
Resolve Studio 17 | macOS / Windows 10

MacBook Pro 16 / 2021
M1 Max | 64GB RAM

Windows Desktop
i7-5930K 3,5GHz | 32GB RAM | RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM

AtillaLifeson

PostFri Feb 11, 2022 4:30 pm

Jakob Klaffs wrote:Thanks for this post, I would be very curious if there is any solution/modification to it by now, since I also struggle a lot since starting to use DR a year ago. I would be happy if the choppy and uneven increments of zoom steps performed by alt/option+wheel would be evened out. At a certain zoom level it makes a huge jump.
If even there would be a regular possibility of zooming as smooth as your video shows, with the app not in focus, that would be even better.

Thanks for any suggestion!

Good to hear I'm not the only one experiencing this. :)

I currently switched over to macOS M1 and I'm not having this type of issue anymore. In macOS, every scrolling you do (especially in conjunction with the Logitech MX Master 3 Mouse) is fluid and smooth.

I didn't check if it's still the case on Windows machines with the most recent version of DR but I'd be definitely interested to get this solved on that OS as well since I'm using it as a backup system to work on.

Since it seems to work on macOS without any issues, and on Windows if not in focus, it could mean that DR is not properly addressing hardware acceleration or something like that for the UI.

But that's just an assumption.

Keep me posted if you find out anything!

Best regards

Jakob Klaffs

PostFri Feb 11, 2022 9:47 pm

Thanks for your reply. Good to know that it works for you with MX Master 3. I am working with the Logitech G600 mouse, which is fantastic with all its 20 or so buttons, big help for edting. I regularly switch between speed editor, regular mouse and keyboard and often I can do most things all with just the mouse, due to the extra keys. Unfortunately it is not supported properly in macOS Monterey, because G HUB is not supported in there, as it is mainly used by gamers. Anyways I made the G600 work with the great software SteerMouse.

After your post now I checked my Logitech M590, which runs through the original Options software. And: with it the option-wheel zoom works with even steps, the last step is not a jump.

This doesn't solve my problem with the G600, but it gives a bit of orientation that indeed it seems to depend a bit on the drivers, software and communication of instances.

I still wish that I find a way to achieve the same regular zoom steps with SteerMouse/G600. Or even the seamless smooth zooming that you described above, Attila.

Still any hint appreciated!
Resolve Studio 17 | macOS / Windows 10

MacBook Pro 16 / 2021
M1 Max | 64GB RAM

Windows Desktop
i7-5930K 3,5GHz | 32GB RAM | RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM

Return to DaVinci Resolve