Is the Davinci Resolve Editor Keyboard worth it?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Adam Langdon

Is the Davinci Resolve Editor Keyboard worth it?

PostThu May 06, 2021 1:59 am

I recently purchased a Resolve Micro Panel and I’m wondering if the Editor Keyboard is worth grabbing as well.
I work exclusively in Davinci Resolve as my main editor and coloring program.
Thoughts, opinions, and suggestions?
URSA Mini 4.6k & Pocket 6k Pro - SLR Magic APO Microprimes - Blazar Remus Anamorphics - Aputure Lighting

hansinla

Re: Is the Davinci Resolve Editor Keyboard worth it?

PostThu May 06, 2021 3:45 am

I would like to know as well. I'm using speed editor and I do like the quality of the build.
    MacBook Pro Apple M3 CPU - 16GB
    Mac OS 14.3
    DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4

dirk-pel

PostThu May 06, 2021 7:39 am

I have had it since december and use it every day it is a great relief when cutting.

Dirk PEL
Davinci Resolve 18.6 Studio, Micropanel, Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, 16" Macbook Pro M1 MAX 32 GB, 1TB SSD, macOS Monterey12.4, EIZO CS2420,Philips 27e1n8900 OLED, BM Decklink Mini Monitor 4K on a TH3P4 board for Mac. iPhone 14 Pro

Adam Langdon

PostThu May 06, 2021 12:27 pm

I’m referring to the big full-sized keyboard.
URSA Mini 4.6k & Pocket 6k Pro - SLR Magic APO Microprimes - Blazar Remus Anamorphics - Aputure Lighting

jallen0

PostThu May 06, 2021 1:32 pm

Adam, I have the bigger editor keyboard and I would have said before the release of the speed editor that it is 100% worth it. Now let me explain why as I have never used the speed editor and don't plan on using it.

I viewed the full size editor keyboard, that cost $1,000, as the flagship editor keyboard for Resolve. It is a quality build, has an awesome jog wheel, and in learning to use the keyboard shortcuts has been tremendously valuable. I am very comfortable with it. So why am I not 100% endorsing it today?

It's because BMD does not support the cut page shortcuts, or mapping, with the bigger keyboard. To use the cut page to its full potential you need to use the Speed Editor keyboard. I view this as not only a complete fail from a programming side, but also a betrayal to those that have paid $1,000 for their "flagship" editor keyboard. It also seems like a money grab as well. When you look at their micro and mini color corrector panels they have the same controls as the bigger board has, just less of them. Not so with the editor keyboards. So, because of the incompatibility with the cut page I would think twice about spending a $1,000 on a keyboard that really only works 100% on the edit page.

One last point to think about. You mentioned having the micro panel and did not mention the mini panel. I use the mini panel and I cannot imagine just using the micro panel. If you budget allowed I would look at returning the mini and getting the micro instead.

Hope this helps.
2019 MacPro OS 12.1, 3.2GHz 16 Core, 160GB Mem, 4TB Drive, 8TB Internal Sonnet Raid, Dual Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB
LG UF 5k, 27" Tbolt Display, 55" LG C8
Resolve Edit Keyboard, Mini Panel, US 4K Mini
Resolve Studio Ver. 17.4.3
Desktop Video 12.1

Adam Langdon

PostThu May 06, 2021 2:20 pm

No that’s very helpful.
I honestly haven’t spent much time in the CUT page, so I’m wondering if that’s necessarily a factor for me.

I am curious how to layout my workspace.
I can’t afford the larger Mini Panel for coloring, so I’ll be using the Micro.
I do have a deep desk, so hopefully that will be enough space.

Return to DaVinci Resolve