gpu memory is full try reducing the timeline resolution or

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Dimitri_B

gpu memory is full try reducing the timeline resolution or

PostThu May 06, 2021 7:12 am

Hi,

I just bought the studio version, for the VR features.
I work with 8K stereoscopic video's, in prores... hence i bought the studio version. but i now feel like it can't handle 8K.
Davinci resolve 17, crashed continuously.
first i get the error: gpu memory is full try reducing the timeline resolution or the number of correctors
when i try to do anything, like open fusion, it just freezes and crashes.

I do work with proxies...

I have a 2080 maxQ gpu and 32gigs of ram.
this setup has worked fine with premiere so far.

any suggestions ?

thank you so much for your respons.

Uli Plank

Re: gpu memory is full try reducing the timeline resolution

PostThu May 06, 2021 2:17 pm

How much VRAM do you have?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Andy Mees

PostThu May 06, 2021 4:02 pm

Its a laptop GPU, 8 GB VRAM
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/g ... ax-q.c3363

Dimitri

Premiere and Resolve are different apps. They utilise system resources by different methods / pipelines and have different minimum system requirements. Just because something works in Premiere does not automatically mean it will work in Resolve, and vice versa.

I don't have experience of 8K stereoscopic workflows in Resolve (or on any other app) but I'd hazard a guess that, for Resolve, your current 8GB GPU, 32GB RAM laptop setup is simply not good enough. For everyday (monoscopic) HD and 4K work you'd probably be fine, but for what you want to do you'll need something more powerful.

For reference, on my old Windows desktop I use a lowly 6GB Nvidia GPU for editing and grading in Resolve in HD. It's well suited to that simple task. But with only 24GB RAM, it doesn't meet Resolve's minimum RAM requirements for Fusion (on Windows), so I avoid using Fusion on that system.

Sure, your laptop exceeds that old Windows desktop specs... but that old system was built for working in HD. I wouldn't want to use it for 4K let alone 8K stereoscopic workflows!

Bottom line, my suggestion would be that if you're committed to work in Resolve then you need a stronger system for what you want to do. Or, if as you say, Premiere is working fine on that system for your workflows, then for now, perhaps continuing with that is your best solution.

Hope it helps
Andy
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

Jim Simon

PostFri May 07, 2021 1:12 pm

I am of the opinion that the memory issue is a long standing bug in Resolve with nVidia GPU's that will require a fix from BMD to actually solve once and for all.

Unfortunately, I've seen no evidence that BMD agrees with me on that.

That said, 8K stereoscopic ProRes with 8GB VRAM? I'm skeptical, even without the bug.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

mpetech

PostFri May 07, 2021 2:48 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I am of the opinion that the memory issue is a long standing bug in Resolve with nVidia GPU's that will require a fix from BMD to actually solve once and for all.

Unfortunately, I've seen no evidence that BMD agrees with me on that.

That said, 8K stereoscopic ProRes with 8GB VRAM? I'm skeptical, even without the bug.

+1 on both points.

Glenn Sakatch

PostFri May 07, 2021 3:06 pm

I don't typically comment on these posts, but I read the post title and said to myself, before opening the post ,I'll bet the poster is working with 8 k and 7 video tracks on a laptop, and can't understand why it isnt running smoothly.

Please read one of the 10thousand posts on system requirements before asking why your system is struggling.

Its getting to the point where we need a separate forum titled "why is my system so slow"

Sean Nelson

PostFri May 07, 2021 5:00 pm

Dimitri_B wrote:I work with 8K stereoscopic video's, in prores... hence i bought the studio version. but i now feel like it can't handle 8K.

I think a lot of people don't really appreciate just how much more resource intensive 8K video is from 4K or HD. 8K video is not merely twice as large as 4K or four times as large as HD - each 8K frame actually takes 16 times as much memory as a standard HD frame.

When you combine that with the fact that Resolve represents all the channel and alpha values as 32-bit floating numbers, that works out to a LOT of memory. An 8K frame contains over 32 million pixels. Each pixel consists of four primary colour and alpha values, so that's 128 million values. Each value takes four bytes, so that's half a gigabyte for a single frame of video.

When you start compositing things in Fusion, that requirement can multiply considerably depending on what kind of nodes you're using and how they're connected. It's really, really easy to run out of GPU memory if you're doing anything more than the most basic stuff with 8K video.
DR Studio 18.6.4 Build 6, Win10Pro x64 22H2/19045.3570
Asus C246 Pro Motherboard, Xeon E-2278G@3.4GHz, 64GB ECC RAM
GeForce 3060 12GB, "Studio" driver 512.15
OS,Library: 1TB NVMe SSD - Project,Cache: 1TB NVMe SSD

Return to DaVinci Resolve