Resolve can't see files Thunderbolt 3 G-Drive, 2019 Mac Pro

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

EricLalicata

Resolve can't see files Thunderbolt 3 G-Drive, 2019 Mac Pro

PostThu May 06, 2021 10:36 pm

I have been having a very strange issue lately with Resolve not reading all of the files on a Thunderbolt 3 drive when viewing through the Media Browser. Sometimes Resolve will hard crash (just disappear). Other times it will just spin forever when a folder on the drive is selected. Sometimes the hard drive will unmount completely and then Resolve crashes.

This tends to happen when the folder has a lot of large files. A folder of RED footage for example. If I try to right click and add it to the project one of the three above errors occurs. If I finder drag the folder into the bin directly, only some of the files will import. Only when starting the online/conform with an AAF or EDL do I notice that a lot of the footage is offline. But I see the offline files when viewing the footage folder in finder. If I drag one of the single files, it imports correctly and I can force-conform. If I try to drag multiple files, it crashes again.

Here is the interesting part...

If I connect the same drive using USB C -> USB A, no problems at all. I have verified this on two different Mac Pros (Rack 2019). Each with different iterations of OS and Resolve. Finally upgrading both to the same exact versions listed below.

So there seems to be an issue with Thunderbolt 3 connected drives and Davinci Resolve. I do not see this issue with Premiere Pro. One of my shows was delivered on a drive with only Thunderbolt 3 connectors. This was a huge hassle as we only noticed after starting the online. The only solution was to manually search for each offline file and drag them one by one into the media bin. Going forward, we would have to copy all the footage to another drive/NAS first. When shows have 14TB of footage on the drive that is a huge drag.

Any ideas?

Mac Pro 2019
OS 10.15.7
Resolve 17.1.1 (and earlier 16 versions too)
G-Raid Hard Drives with Thunderbolt 3

Jason Conrad

Re: Resolve can't see files Thunderbolt 3 G-Drive, 2019 Mac

PostThu May 06, 2021 10:53 pm

I haven’t seen anything like that with non-raid thunderbolt 3 drives. My friend’s promise Pegasus thunderbolt 2 beachballs while it spins up, but after maybe a minute works normally. The usbc-a thing is odd. Maybe a power supply issue to the raid? Are you sure it’s a proper T3 cable, and not a usb standard one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-MacBook Pro (14,3) i7 2.9 GHz 16 GB, Intel 630, AMD 560 x1
-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

EricLalicata

PostFri May 07, 2021 1:48 am

I should clarify that these drives are usually 2 drive Raid enclosures. Using the thunderbolt cables that come with the drives. Swapped cables and it has happened with other drives with their power supply and cables.

Marc Wielage

PostFri May 07, 2021 2:04 am

Eric, we use a bunch of G-Tech Shuttle RAIDs, but they're all TB2. Zero issues.

We saw some issues with connecting via USB3 on a hub, but that was both OS-related and a problem with the hub. If we bypassed the hub and went right into the Mac, zero problems. Tossed the hub, got a new ones, problems went away (for now). We use lots of G-Drives for backup only, then exclusively RAIDs for the projects. I try to keep current projects on the SSD RAID just for speed and reduced heat.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve