apply audio effects simultaneously on different tracks ?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

iblackmagic

apply audio effects simultaneously on different tracks ?

PostFri May 07, 2021 5:05 pm

Hi, this concerns latest version of studio on Mac Os.
Still diving into Davinci.
I'm having several audio recordings in similar settings to which i would like to batch apply certain audio effects.
I drag&dropped them all individually on a timeline, but in fairlight, even though i select them all, when i drop a VST effect, it only applies to one audio track at a time.
Is there a way to have it applied to all at once ?

Mike Warren

Re: apply audio effects simultaneously on different tracks ?

PostFri May 07, 2021 8:34 pm

From the sound of it, you want to apply effects to a bunch of files and then export them individually. If that's the case, then IMO Resolve is not the best tool for the job. Audacity is a free program that is specifically designed for audio only.

Batch processing in Audacity:
https://docs.huihoo.com/audacity/2.0.3/ ... ssing.html
https://www.howtogeek.com/57571/how-to- ... -audacity/

But if you really want to do this in Resolve, add effects to the first clip in the Fairlight page and set how you want. Then, right-click the clip and select "copy". Finally, right-click on each of the remaining clips and select "Paste Attributes". Check the box for "Plugins" and click OK.
Resolve Studio 17.4.6 - Fusion Studio 17.2.2 - Windows 10
Gigabyte GTX1080ti 11GB - AMD 1950X - 64GB 2400
Gigabyte X399 AORUS Gaming 7
Intensity Pro 4k
Presonus 192 Audio Interface
Separate M.2 SSDs for OS and Resolve Cache

Rick van den Berg

PostFri May 07, 2021 8:50 pm

or send them to a bus with the effect?

iblackmagic

PostSat May 08, 2021 8:15 am

Mike Warren wrote:But if you really want to do this in Resolve, add effects to the first clip in the Fairlight page and set how you want. Then, right-click the clip and select "copy". Finally, right-click on each of the remaining clips and select "Paste Attributes". Check the box for "Plugins" and click OK.

Hi and thanks for your reply. I know Audacity of course, but there's some audio-related plugins that simply aren't available for it...
Your suggested workflow works (even though i checked all the available attributes settings), but I'm having trouble actually exporting this. I don't manage to send each individual track to the render queue.
I tried unchecking the assignment to bus1 for the other tracks in Fairlight and on the Deliver page i chose Output track Bus 1, but the send to render queue option is greyed out.
So how do i export each individual track ?

Andy Evans

PostSun May 09, 2021 12:41 am

Pete probably the simplest way to do what you want is once you have the effects set the way you want for the clip, in the Fairlight page choose the range selector tool - the cross to the right of the arrow one - then click on the clip and it will set the range to the length of it. Right click the clip and choose 'bounce clip to file' and an options box will come up where you can choose mono or stereo, but depth, what it uses to name it and destination folder. I would suggest matching mono or stereo to whatever the original clip is. To use clip name as the bounced file name you need to set the name in the clip attributes. If the clip is still showing fl cpature bla bla etc on the timeline, in the Fairlight drop down menu is 'clip info display' make sure that is set to 'clip name'.
This will bounce the selected clip with all clip effect processing to a new file in whichever destination folder you choose.
Sound Designer/Mixer
Melbourne Australia
www.mud.net.au

iblackmagic

PostSun May 09, 2021 6:45 am

Andy Evans wrote:Andy Evans

hi, and thanks for that suggestion ! That's indeed the quickest (and dirtiest?) way to do what i want. I was surprised by the export speeds, compared to a traditional "delivery". Only thing i notice that it exported the audio file as .wav, whereas the original was in .mp3. Is there a way to specify the export format before bouncing ?

Andy Evans

PostSun May 09, 2021 6:58 am

I don't believe Resolve does any form of mp3 through this method or via the delivery page.
You are better off keeping them as wav files as mp3 is a lossy codec. If you need to make them into mp3 to make them smaller for emailing etc, there are lots of stand alone programs that will convert them, maybe try googling, but keep them at 320 kb p/sec bit rate if you can.
Sound Designer/Mixer
Melbourne Australia
www.mud.net.au

iblackmagic

PostSun May 09, 2021 11:18 am

Well, actually the Deliver page allows for exporting audio as mp4, but sure enough, i can convert .wav back to mp3 using third party apps...

Return to DaVinci Resolve