Davinci Resolve 17 very slow to load, slow to function

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Yhendo

Davinci Resolve 17 very slow to load, slow to function

PostSat May 08, 2021 9:46 am

Hi all,

I have the same problem as layed out in this thread here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=139097

Fopman wrote:I did the test in this version and started the stopwatch on my phone and started Resolve at the same time.

00:51 the first respons (startup screen) appeared. "Looking for Control Surface".
06:29 it changes to "Loading Fairlight Page". CPU is only 26-34%.
10:34 Loading Color Page, Loading Audio etc.
10:55 the "Projects" screen opens up
11:25 I select "untitled project". The CPU stays within a range of 26-40%
16:47 Resolve opened
17:00 I click to go to the "Media" page. CPU still less then 50%.
23:46 The spinning blue wheel finally stopped. After 24 minutes I can get started!
24:10 I added a short 720p MP4 file. I wanted to play it, but the sound and video falters.

It started happening after I deleted the contents of the cacheclip folder, but I'm not 100% certain the 2 are related. I've generated a log file and a system info file, both available here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/17Gi3iT ... sp=sharing

I've tried re-installing Resolve, tried un-installing Resolve followed by deleting the contents of \appdata\Roaming\BlackMagic Design folder followed by a clean install, unplugging all usb port except mouse and keyboard - no change in behavior.

Startup 'looking for control surface' takes couple of minutes, then 'Loading Fairlight' takes another couple, then after I open ANY project another couple of minutes. Then, once inside, navigating between any pages(like cut, render, media, edit) takes additional couple of minutes. Playback is slow, unusable, even scrubbing back and forth on the timeline. It feels like any action in resolve is taking 50x longer than it used to.

Just a side note, we used to have no problems with resolve 16, then migrated to 17, then this happened.

I would also like to mention that prior to this bug occurring everything was running smooth, and this machine is well capable of editing 1080p footage(i9 12core @ 4.4 Ghz + Rtx 2080ti, 64GB Ram).

We have also no admin rights and an incredibly slow IT Dept(2 week turnaround), so please, any remedies you offer please try and make sure they can be done without those rights. We can only install/uninstall resolve via the software centre, so we're also stuck on the version we use.

Many Thanks for any assistance.

Jan

Yhendo

Re: Davinci Resolve 17 very slow to load, slow to function

PostMon May 10, 2021 8:14 am

Some help would be greatly appreciated, we need this to finish a project.

Thanks!

Jim Simon

PostMon May 10, 2021 3:01 pm

The only idea I have is to do this work with an Admin user account.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Yhendo

PostWed May 12, 2021 1:01 am

Hi,

I apologize for pressing the issue, but we happen to have a deadline coming up and I was wondering if anyone has managed to have a look at the problem layed out in this thread?

I thank you for your input Jim, we have IT dept. which is able to use their admin credentials for any changes that we might have to make on this machine, but we need to know what these changes are.

Many thanks,

Jan

Yhendo

PostThu May 13, 2021 10:28 pm

May I request any updates on the subject please?

Kind regards,

Jan

Jim Simon

PostThu May 13, 2021 10:43 pm

The change I'm suggesting is that a new Admin user account be created on the machine for this work.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Yhendo

PostFri May 14, 2021 11:10 am

Jim Simon wrote:The change I'm suggesting is that a new Admin user account be created on the machine for this work.

Hi Jim,

unfortunately we don't have the ability to add an admin user account on this machine due to it being a part of a huge corporate network that has it's IT policies handled by an external company, therefore, we are not able to 'manage' our own machines and add an Admin account.

I hope you understand that Resolve used to work absolutely flawlessly on our current system with this account(which is not an admin), so the problem which we have shouldn't be related to admin rights.

Kind regards,

Jan

Jim Simon

PostFri May 14, 2021 2:21 pm

It's the only idea I have.

Sorry.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Yhendo

PostMon May 17, 2021 12:09 am

May I kindly ask if anyone had a chance to look at my case?

Thanks!

Jan

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostMon May 17, 2021 12:40 am

Hi Jan

The logs above (dated 14 April) show you're running a 17.0 beta version. Please do the following:
a. Update to Davinci Resolve 17.2. Please do back up your databases before you do so.
b. install the latest nvidia studio driver for your card. During installation please choose Custom > Clean Install.
c. restart the system and start up Resolve.

Thanks
Shrinivas

Yhendo

PostMon May 17, 2021 2:54 pm

Hi Shrinivas,

I've done as you asked, newest studio driver, clean install, and latest resolve. Results are, however, less than ideal.

The problem persist, in much the same way it has before. Here's the new logs that detail the issue:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RCzSML ... sp=sharing

Many thanks for picking up the issue!

Kind regards,

Jan

Yhendo

PostTue May 18, 2021 10:28 am

May I request any updates on the issue please?

Kind regards,

Jan

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostTue May 18, 2021 2:48 pm

There seems to be some general slowness when accessing your graphics stack - even querying for the graphics card takes longer than expected.

I'm not sure how much control you have over the machine, given your description of admin rights - but I'd check for obvious errors in the OS or hardware - open the device manager and check if the graphics card shows any errors, check that the graphics card is seated on the fastest PCI-e slot in the motherboard and that the displays are connected to the graphics card instead of the motherboard.

We've also seen a few issues with third party security/logging software - like Sentinel Agent - causing startup delays and general slowness. To rule out issues, maybe you can try launching Resolve with this software disabled - or adding an exception for it to ignore Resolve.

bakon333

PostTue May 18, 2021 11:07 pm

I'm having this exact issue. I actually reformatted because on my Win 10 Pro system, DR17 couldn't detect my Speed Editor. It gets detected fine on my 5 yr old laptop on Windows 10 Home. Figured maybe it's because I had "Insider Preview" editions so decided to format.

After a fresh install (hard drive cleared), I installed DR17.2 and the UI is unusable. I've installed all chipset drivers, clean install of studio drivers, etc. No dice. DR17 was working fine prior to the format so...this is pretty odd. Also Speed Editor still doesn't get detected (lol). Terrible.

At this point, I can't work on anything...and I even reformatted again with no success. Any ideas?
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20210518_160336.zip
log
(71.71 KiB) Downloaded 52 times

bakon333

PostWed May 19, 2021 3:20 am

So I figured it out. It was the Speed Editor. I have version 1.3. I had to factory reset via the panel app. Now all is good in the world.

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 19, 2021 3:27 am

Thanks for posting the update.

dimsum

PostWed May 19, 2021 6:57 am

Out of nowhere, I started to experience the same issue yesterday, where for the simplest clip with a match of both resolution and framerate between the clip and timeline, I was getting interrupts in the UI every 3 to 5 seconds or so in such a way that the timeline playback would drop to 0fps, stutter, and then go up to 120 fps and then finally to in my case 24 fps. I reinstalled Resolve 17.1, and then again 17.2, cleared temporary files, and almost reinstalled Windows. I also have the speed editor, with the latest firmware installed. What seemed to fix it on my end was in Options, Users, Playback settings, Performance Mode to be disabled.

Resolve_MdQFkKrAf1.png
Resolve_MdQFkKrAf1.png (44.51 KiB) Viewed 2575 times

I am not sure what the impact of having performance mode disabled in more complex timelines would be yet, though.
youtube.com/uhstudio | uhstudio.com
Win11, RTX 4 series

Yhendo

PostTue May 25, 2021 10:18 am

Apologies for taking so long to respond... well at least you get to experience the swiftness of our IT dept.

I would like to give a huge thanks to Shrinivas for cracking this one, it happened to be the Sentinel agent causing the issue, and without it on Resolve starts and runs like a charm.

So for anyone else struggling with similar issues, try running Resolve with antivirus off, it might just work!

Kind regards,

Jan

tomblchr

PostSun Nov 14, 2021 9:48 pm

In case this helps anyone using Windows... remove any disconnected network drives.

For me, Resolve was taking hours to load. When starting Resolve the splash screen would display then seemingly stop at "Loading Project Settings". After days of reinstalling and troubleshooting I left Resolve starting up overnight and by the morning it was ready to use. Not a sustainable way of operating.

At some point the thought occurred to me to remove a VPN dependent network drive and try starting Resolve. Sure enough, as soon as the disconnected network drive was gone Resolve started normally. It turns out if network drives are connected then Resolve will load normally (for me).

Return to DaVinci Resolve