Ripple Delete in the Cut page not (always?) working

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

pbuedi

Ripple Delete in the Cut page not (always?) working

PostSat May 08, 2021 1:59 pm

Hi there,

I am going through the DVR 16 Beginners Guide (on DVR Studio 17.1.1 Build 9) and I am currently on Page 46 (Smooth Cut) and I just found that in that particular situation Ripple Delete is not working for me in the Cut page. It does when I switch to the Edit page, do the delete and come back to the cut page though.

To set this up, the guide told me to do two splits on the timeline to cut out a "uhm" from one of the cooks. This creates a new clip on the timeline just consisting of the "uhm". You either
  • Select that Clip with the Mouse and press DEL on your Keyboard
  • Select that Clip with the Mouse and press Backspace on your Keyboard
  • Set the clip under the timeline marker with the Speed Editor and press the RIPL DEL Key

On all 3 variants, it just punches a hole in the Timeline when on the Cut page.
If I switch to the Edit page, it does the ripple delete, as expected.

Is there a general settings I am missing or is this a bug?

Cheers!

bclontz

Re: Ripple Delete in the Cut page not (always?) working

PostSat May 08, 2021 10:17 pm

On the cut page, only track 1 does ripple edits. That might be the issue?

pbuedi

PostSun May 09, 2021 7:16 am

Yes, I am aware of that. That is what they teached me also in the Lessons. But in that Lesson you explicitly work on Track 1 and they want you to do the Ripple Delete. I will try to attach 2 pictures, because I was able to reproduce the problem just now again.

Before the ripple delete attempt:
cut_ripple_delete_bug_1.png
Before ripple delete attempt
cut_ripple_delete_bug_1.png (953.5 KiB) Viewed 4398 times

After the ripple delete attempt:
cut_ripple_delete_bug_2.png
After ripple delete attempt
cut_ripple_delete_bug_2.png (996.41 KiB) Viewed 4398 times

It is worth noting that I did the same tutorial a while ago with 17.0 free and hat the same issue. Now with 17.1.1 Studio and the Speed Editor I created a new project and got the exact same problem. I am sure this is reproducable by everybody else on that particular segment then.

I think I now found the root of the problem and I am sure this is a bug.

Earlier in the Lessons they tell you to lock that separate Audio track you are adding for the Background music, so this one does not get cut into pieces. Ripple Delete on the Track 1 is not working as long as the Audio track is underlying. If I go past that Audio Track (Screenshot #3), the ripple delete starts to work again. This problem is on the Cut page and not on the Edit page. So pretty sure a bug only on the Edit page. I hope someone from BMD picks this up and this gets a fix.

Here is where the ripple delete starts working again:
cut_ripple_delete_bug_3.png
After the locked Audio track ripple delete works again
cut_ripple_delete_bug_3.png (900.61 KiB) Viewed 4398 times

Piojan

PostSun Sep 05, 2021 11:11 am

Have You ever solved the issue? I am having similar problems.

pbuedi

PostFri Sep 10, 2021 5:39 am

I did not redo the tutorial in 17.3.1 (this is the current one, right?), so I can not say for sure. I did quite a few projects since then, but barely ever have locked audio tracks like in the tutorial.

But if you are on the latest version and encounter the same issue I think it is safe to say that it is not fixed yet (I did not spot anything in the release notes of the last few versions either).

Jim Simon

PostSat Sep 11, 2021 4:45 pm

I just recently went through the Cut page section of the version 17 Beginner's Guide.

Resolve worked as expected.

Ripple Delete intentionally behaves differently on CUT and EDIT.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Cupless

PostSun Oct 24, 2021 11:33 pm

Same bug here in the Cut page. Have to perform Ripple Delete edits with locked audio in the Edit page.
Lian Li Lancool 3, ASUS ProArt Z690, I7 13700K, Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II, 128GB PC5600 DDR5, RTX 4080, (2) Samsung M2 1TB 980 Pro, (2) Samsung M2 2TB 970 Pro, (4) Seagate 750GB RAID 0 SATA, LogicKeyboard Astra 2, Avid Artist Color, Win 11 Pro

AbandonMute

PostSun Jun 12, 2022 9:12 am

Just came across this issue and commenting to confirm this is still an issue. Well, if it's not a bug, it should perhaps be a feature request to allow locked audio (ie for music videos or sequences) and still have ripple delete work on V1. Currently editing some B-roll to a soundtrack using the Cut page (IMO the IDEAL use for the Cut page) doesn't work. Unless I'm missing something.
Last edited by AbandonMute on Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Simon

PostMon Jun 13, 2022 2:45 pm

This is just how the Cut page works, Jon. You're better off using Edit.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Joe Shapiro

PostMon Jun 13, 2022 4:14 pm

Sounds like another case for the “why does it work that way” question. There may be a perfectly good reason. If so it should be documented so people have the chance to expect it and the opportunity to understand it.

If the only reason is “because it does” then it’s a pretty good candidate for changing that behavior to match the Edit page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

ShaheedMalik

PostMon Jun 13, 2022 4:47 pm

Joe Shapiro wrote:Sounds like another case for the “why does it work that way” question. There may be a perfectly good reason. If so it should be documented so people have the chance to expect it and the opportunity to understand it.

If the only reason is “because it does” then it’s a pretty good candidate for changing that behavior to match the Edit page.

It works that way for a Television environment. It's "tape". Track one is the Program Track. All other tracks are the B Roll Track.

Joe Shapiro

PostMon Jun 13, 2022 4:56 pm

Interesting. I’d like to better understand that at some point.

But more importantly - is the cut page intended for a particular TV-centric workflow? If so is this documented? I confess to not having read the Cut page part of the manual.

Would a“TV-mode” setting that turned on/off this and other behaviors in both the Edit and Cut pages be a helpful enhancement?

Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

AbandonMute

PostTue Jun 14, 2022 2:12 pm

Jim Simon wrote:This is just how the Cut page works, Jon. You're better off using Edit.

But the Cut page works perfectly - until you've got locked audio at which point there's no ripple on V1. I am open to understanding why that would make sense, but at the moment I don't. However I can offer my perspective which is that when editing music videos and montages, having ripple cease when you've got a soundtrack is a shame.

Genuinely keen to hear why the current behaviour makes sense, if it does.

daveblake

PostThu Aug 04, 2022 7:52 am

Workaround Solution: If you explicitly mark an in and out point on the timeline that covers the clip that you want to delete, and press ripple delete, it will work in the cut page, even if you have an audio track underneath.

I saw this working in this video
, where Darren has this exact scenario, and I'm like,what, how come his ripple deletes?

I tried it, and it works for me!

Sandro Circi

PostThu Oct 06, 2022 9:53 pm

daveblake wrote:Workaround Solution: If you explicitly mark an in and out point on the timeline that covers the clip that you want to delete, and press ripple delete, it will work in the cut page, even if you have an audio track underneath.

I saw this working in this video
, where Darren has this exact scenario, and I'm like,what, how come his ripple deletes?

I tried it, and it works for me!

Are you talking about 21:20?
Yes I kinda find it bugged not being able to ripple delete V1 if I have both A1 and A2 but A2 is locked. It's like the basic edit for every indi documentary or quick interview at trade shows, were I have an intro, couple of B-rolls and than the interview itself (all on the V1) while I have the main speach on A1 and a small background music on A2.

Once I add something locked to A2 I alwas must use In's and Out's to mark what I need to ripple delete in V1. It's not a problem, but always frustrating to remember to change the way you work prior and after adding A2, if you know what I mean.

UPDATE: One more thing that I didn't notice erlier is that if you have V1 and V2 on the Cut page they appear only as track 1 and 2. But if I, on the edit page, add something to A2 then on the Cut page it appears as A1. I might be wrong but to me this looks more like a bug than a feature...
Sandros94
Davinci Resolve Studio
Personal Cameras: Nikon Z9, P4K, GH5
Main Rig: Win11 Pro, Ryzen 7 5800X, 64GB, GTX1660Ti
Second Rig: Win10 Pro, i7 4790k, 32GB, GTX1050Ti
Outdoor pc: HP Pavilion (14-ce0029nl), i5 8250U, 8GB, UHD620

RedoubtFlame

PostTue Apr 02, 2024 1:44 pm

I came across this post since I had the same problem. I discovered that there is a small toggle button in the Cut page on the left hand side that turns on/off ripple delete. When I toggled it back on the functionality returned. I think I must have accidentally clicked on it at some point to turn it off. Hope this helps to resolve the issue for others.
Attachments
Ripple_on-DavinciResolve.png
Ripple_on-DavinciResolve.png (19.93 KiB) Viewed 164 times

Return to DaVinci Resolve