Learned the basics of DaVinci , What next ?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Sherief

Learned the basics of DaVinci , What next ?

PostSat May 08, 2021 7:32 pm

Hello guys :D ,

:arrow: Well , I've just took my first step of learning DaVinci resolve's most basics in each page. I've taken their online exam and thankfully passed. Now I'm wandering & wondering, What's next to do ? I can't stop thinking about just practicing what I've already learned enough to amp up my skills , and increase my subconscious sufficiency. Do you guys know any source of projects that I should head onto next ? What will you do in my place ?

Looking forward to your advices,
Cheers

Jim Simon

Re: Learned the basics of DaVinci , What next ?

PostMon May 10, 2021 4:04 pm

For me, the point of doing the Beginner's Guide was that I had projects to edit and I wanted the work to go smooth.

You don't have any such work?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Wouter Bouwens

PostMon May 10, 2021 5:21 pm

Sherief wrote:Hello guys :D ,

:arrow: Well , I've just took my first step of learning DaVinci resolve's most basics in each page. I've taken their online exam and thankfully passed. Now I'm wandering & wondering, What's next to do ? I can't stop thinking about just practicing what I've already learned enough to amp up my skills , and increase my subconscious sufficiency. Do you guys know any source of projects that I should head onto next ? What will you do in my place ?

Cheers

I can only tell you what I would do in my personel situation.
Two things, colorgrading and audio.

Colorgrading still is Resolves best function, and still is so difficult to do well.

Audio because a video/movie with bad audio is just, well, bad, and I really do not enjoy dealing with it. But it is soooo important. Sometimes you find a clip on youtube that seems interesting, and you play it. Then the audio is so bad, you click it away ...
CPU: Intel Core I9 10850K
GPU: MSI Suprim X Geforce 3080
Motherboard: MSI Z590-A Pro
RAM: 32 GB Gskil Ripjaws 3600
SSD: Samsung EVO 970 M.2 NVME 1TB

Charles Bennett

PostMon May 10, 2021 9:52 pm

Don't forget, audio is 50% of the viewing experience. A good soundtrack will bolster a less than perfect video. On the other hand, a mediocre soundtrack will drag a good video down with it. Unfortunately YouTube is full of great videos with lousy soundtracks.
Yes, there are a lot of YT videos with both bad video and audio, but that's another story. ;)
Resolve Studio 18.6.6 build 7
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Frank Engel

PostTue May 11, 2021 9:31 am

If you are looking for practice projects: https://editstock.com

If you are looking for further training to expand your skills, consider pushing on with the additional certifications BMD offers?

Wouter Bouwens

PostWed May 12, 2021 10:00 am

Just a little thing, but you might want to put some time into learning the keyboard shortcuts. Using J, K and L to play, stop, reverse, or play faster for example, or use shift F12 to append at end, using q to switch between source and timeline, will speed up editing a lot. Not having to switch from keyboard to mouse all the time really makes a lot of difference.

Sherief

PostWed May 12, 2021 10:50 am

Jim Simon wrote:For me, the point of doing the Beginner's Guide was that I had projects to edit and I wanted the work to go smooth.

You don't have any such work?

Unfortunately, no. I even had to download some random youtube videos in order to put them on my timeline and just practice my trimming ,ripple delete, etc.. but it got bored out quickly, since there was no outcome to look forward to.

Sherief

PostWed May 12, 2021 11:01 am

Wouter Bouwens wrote:
Sherief wrote:Hello guys :D ,

Cheers

I can only tell you what I would do in my personel situation.
Two things, colorgrading and audio.

Colorgrading still is Resolves best function, and still is so difficult to do well.

Audio because a video/movie with bad audio is just, well, bad, and I really do not enjoy dealing with it. But it is so important. Sometimes you find a clip on youtube that seems interesting, and you play it. Then the audio is so bad, you click it away ...

I'm very aware of what you're saying, especially the audio part. I even became more aware of how a lot of media content has just gone from 8/10 to 5/10 due to just poor audio quality or out of sync dialogue, or just a rubbish music soundtrack that doesn't fit the story. I've actually started to learn Color grading from scratch using the company's color correction book, But I'm starting to get a little bit anxious early on, It's not as much fun for me as editing , & trimming. I would enjoy a good combination of applying some grading on an image, but the learning mechanism is just too tiring. Maybe, it's just the beginning ,until we get to that juicy part where we have our project and do all the creativity by ourselves, so Until then.. I'm going to hold tight during this learning process.

Sherief

PostWed May 12, 2021 11:03 am

Frank Engel wrote:If you are looking for practice projects: https://editstock.com

If you are looking for further training to expand your skills, consider pushing on with the additional certifications BMD offers?

One of the things I was looking forward to , is a website like this. So thank you so much for that. Don't forget, My inbox is open for more recommendations. :D :D

Sherief

PostWed May 12, 2021 11:07 am

Charles Bennett wrote:Don't forget, audio is 50% of the viewing experience. A good soundtrack will bolster a less than perfect video. On the other hand, a mediocre soundtrack will drag a good video down with it. Unfortunately YouTube is full of great videos with lousy soundtracks.
Yes, there are a lot of YT videos with both bad video and audio, but that's another story. ;)

I always feel like it's more than 50%, more like 70%, Especially when the audio has like some SFX that transfers you to a whole new dimension, What do you think ? I mean to put it out on a test, I had one of the trailers downloaded the last week, It was really amazing. But just for the sake of the test, I decided to hit the mute bottom..the result was obvious, I didn't get 1/10 the hit of that commercial that I took when the audio was on.. Even tho it was visually very appealing, and very well put on.

Sherief

PostWed May 12, 2021 11:10 am

Wouter Bouwens wrote:Just a little thing, but you might want to put some time into learning the keyboard shortcuts. Using J, K and L to play, stop, reverse, or play faster for example, or use shift F12 to append at end, using q to switch between source and timeline, will speed up editing a lot. Not having to switch from keyboard to mouse all the time really makes a lot of difference.

It made a day & night difference for me, so yeah I'm trying to tone up that drill.

Jim Simon

PostWed May 12, 2021 1:55 pm

Sherief wrote:You don't have any such work?

Unfortunately, no.
Do you have a camera? Friends? Imagination?

If you don't have any paid work to do, be creative. Make your own. ;)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Sherief

PostWed May 12, 2021 2:44 pm

Jim Simon wrote:
Sherief wrote:You don't have any such work?

Unfortunately, no.
Do you have a camera? Friends? Imagination?

If you don't have any paid work to do, be creative. Make your own. ;)

I'll probably be having some raw canon shots by next month, one of my friends is making a music video with this. I'll make sure to toy with this footage a little bit.

Jim Simon

PostWed May 12, 2021 2:48 pm

There you go, that's perfect.

One tip: If there are any "performance" shots in the video, people actually singing or playing along to the song, have you friend feed the on-set audio playback into all cameras at the same time. Having that audio in your shots will make sync sooooo much easier.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

Sherief

PostWed May 12, 2021 3:04 pm

Jim Simon wrote:There you go, that's perfect.

One tip: If there are any "performance" shots in the video, people actually singing or playing along to the song, have you friend feed the on-set audio playback into all cameras at the same time. Having that audio in your shots will make sync sooooo much easier.

I will , thanks for the advice.

Charles Bennett

PostWed May 12, 2021 9:30 pm

Going back to the question of soundtracks, the two main objections I have regarding audio on so many YT videos is wind noise and totally inappropriate music at too high a level.
So many have wind noise which triggers the automatic gain control lowering the volume of the sound you want to hear to an inaudible level.
Choosing music is something you have to think about. These are some of the criteria I apply.
1. Does it fit the mood and content of the visuals?
2. Does its tempo fit the rhythm of the edit, and if it has one, the pacing of the voice over?
3. Is the instrumentation in keeping with the time period of what is in the visuals?
4. Does a sequence need music in the first place?
5. Do I actually like the piece of music?

I can say that in the decades that I have been scoring using Production music, I've not had a single complaint as to the choices I've made. ;)
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (546.01 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Sherief

PostThu May 13, 2021 3:52 am

Charles Bennett wrote:Going back to the question of soundtracks, the two main objections I have regarding audio on so many YT videos is wind noise and totally inappropriate music at too high a level.
So many have wind noise which triggers the automatic gain control lowering the volume of the sound you want to hear to an inaudible level.
Choosing music is something you have to think about. These are some of the criteria I apply.
1. Does it fit the mood and content of the visuals?
2. Does its tempo fit the rhythm of the edit, and if it has one, the pacing of the voice over?
3. Is the instrumentation in keeping with the time period of what is in the visuals?
4. Does a sequence need music in the first place?
5. Do I actually like the piece of music?

I can say that in the decades that I have been scoring using Production music, I've not had a single complaint as to the choices I've made. ;)

Sounds like a very wise approach, very good questions. I would love to see..or maybe "hear" this time some of your work.

Charles Bennett

PostThu May 13, 2021 10:58 am

I can't share any of the commercial projects because of copyright, but you could have a look at the videos on my YouTube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF2WRgI-aMHjOttp-7TdQBQ

Wouter Bouwens

PostThu May 13, 2021 1:32 pm

Charles Bennett wrote:I can't share any of the commercial projects because of copyright, but you could have a look at the videos on my YouTube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF2WRgI-aMHjOttp-7TdQBQ

I watched a video, and ofcourse was focussed on the sound. It sounds so good you almost think you added the trainsounds in post? If you really recorded the sound live, it sound pretty amazing.

Charles Bennett

PostThu May 13, 2021 2:44 pm

Yes, all the sounds are live and not added afterwards. All the sync audio is recorded on a Zoom H2n in M/S stereo. The camera receives the same audio from the line out on the H2n and is used for syncing later. It's also handy if I forgot to press record on the H2n. :D
It always pays to record audio properly in the first place before you get to post.
I do all my sound work in Pro Tools, not because there's anything wrong with Fairlight, it's just that I have used PT since 1994 and have my own rig.
Attachments
Camera Rig1b.JPG
CAMERA RIG WITHOUT THE DEADCAT ON THE H2n
Camera Rig1b.JPG (597.42 KiB) Viewed 614 times
05b.jpg
MY PRO TOOLS SETUP
05b.jpg (481.64 KiB) Viewed 614 times

Return to DaVinci Resolve