Help with "create additional video output"

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

SandroSchreiber

Help with "create additional video output"

PostSun May 09, 2021 8:17 am

Hi there,

I need to export several individual shots as a DPX sequence for VFX. Since the VFX are sound critical, I want to export a wav or mp4 alongside. I thought the option "create additional video output" on the deliver page would be a good tool for this. However, I have two problems:
- The format options for the additional output are extremely limited. I can't change the resolution or bitrate.
- As soon as I try to render a job with additional output, Resolve crashes.

In the manual on page 3447 the function is not described in detail. Here in the forum I found a post from 2019, whose author's Resolve also crashes. Unfortunately, he never received a reply.

Does anyone use this feature successfully? Am I doing something wrong?

Best regards
Sandro
Resolve Studio 18.6.4 | Resolve Mini Panel | Win11 22H2
GeForce RTX4090 (551.61 studio driver) | DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K, Desktop Video 12.8.1

Jim Simon

Re: Help with "create additional video output"

PostSun May 09, 2021 1:07 pm

You can just use the same In/Out points and and change the Preset to Audio Only.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Glenn Sakatch

PostSun May 09, 2021 3:56 pm

When we do vfx for a effects house, we always do two passes.

1 was the reference shot, with timecode burn and audio.
2 was the raw dpx image sequence of the clips.

In Resolve i would send each section to the queue as dpx sequences, and then go through again and send them as mp4s with a timecode preset turned on.

Then hit render.

SandroSchreiber

PostMon May 10, 2021 7:34 am

Glenn Sakatch wrote:When we do vfx for a effects house, we always do two passes.

1 was the reference shot, with timecode burn and audio.
2 was the raw dpx image sequence of the clips.

In Resolve i would send each section to the queue as dpx sequences, and then go through again and send them as mp4s with a timecode preset turned on.

Then hit render.

Yeah that's what I did. Thanks for the response.
But by using the "additional video output", my hope was you could accommodate both passes in a single preset. Otherwise this function is kind of useless, isn't it?

Jim Simon wrote:You can just use the same In/Out points and and change the Preset to Audio Only.

Unfortunately this isn't as fast as described because DPX doesn't have an audio output and therefore the audio checkbox isn't available unless I change the video codec.

I was just hoping I could cut the render setup time in half with this feature. I'm working at a project where almost every shot is a VFX shot and they go out to different people. I still think I might be overlooking something :lol:
Resolve Studio 18.6.4 | Resolve Mini Panel | Win11 22H2
GeForce RTX4090 (551.61 studio driver) | DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K, Desktop Video 12.8.1

Jim Simon

PostMon May 10, 2021 3:04 pm

No, I'm suggesting using the Audio Only Preset, video will be disabled.

Set your In/Out points. Queue up the Video export. Change to Audio Only, queue that up. Start the render.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve