Resolve Multicam Offline. Cant Relink to Footage

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

allinthemind2021

Resolve Multicam Offline. Cant Relink to Footage

PostTue May 11, 2021 1:39 am

Cutting a music video... I created a Multicam clip today syncing about 20 clips using sync by "Sound". After syncing to the raw camera audio on all the clips, I "opened the Multicam in timeline" to manually add and sync some additional clips by eye and to make sure everything was synced well to the music track. after about an hour and a half I got everything perfectly synced, closed the timeline and was able to load the Multicam clip into the browser to view. Looked good.

I walked away from my computer, came back an hour later. I loaded the Multicam clip into the browser and all of the angles in the Multicam now say "media offline". When I "open the multicam clip in timeline" all of the clips are now offline.
I immediately tried to relink the media but the option to relink is not in the right click drop down menu. I tried the "find in media pool" shortcut on the clips and it did nothing. I manually located the full length original clips in the media pool and they are not offline. so what the hell? if they're not offline why are they offline in the Multicam clip timeline?

I restarted resolve even tried rebooting and the problem persists. I really really don't want to have to go through and resync a bunch of this stuff by eye again. Does anybody have an idea of what the hell is happening?
one thing I noticed is that the clips in the Multicam timeline behave like compound clips now. like the right click menu is for a compound clip except theirs no option to "decompose in place" please help

Jim Simon

Re: Resolve Multicam Offline. Cant Relink to Footage

PostWed May 12, 2021 3:17 pm

Both Multicam and Compound clips can be thought of as sort of a picture frame, with the original clips being the pictures in that frame. So there is some similarity there.

With Multicam, the operation is called Flatten.

I have no ideas about the offline thing, though.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

allinthemind2021

Re: Resolve Multicam Offline. Cant Relink to Footage

PostThu May 13, 2021 10:09 pm

I figured out what caused it. the offline bug occurred because I changed the frame rate in clip attributes of all the clips inside the Multicam timeline from 24fps to 25 fps. I did this because the footage was off sync with the music track and changing to 25 got it in sync but doing this somehow broke the clip's connection to their original media. the clips in the multi clip timeline are now orphaned with no way back to the source..The only way to back was to change all the clips in media pool back to 24 fps and start over creating a Multicam clip and resyncing. Sucks. This was a weird wormhole I went down. Maybe someday this will help someone in the same odd situation .

Return to DaVinci Resolve