Weirdest Glitch Due to Fusion?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

RareRabbit

Weirdest Glitch Due to Fusion?

PostWed May 12, 2021 11:39 pm

I've encountered the strangest glitch in Resolve which seems to be connected to working with Fusion nodes.

When I have a number of nodes connected in a clip I'm doing a Fusion build in, and go back to the normal edit mode, that Fusion clip keeps dropping frames. In the Fusion tab everything was fine, but in the preview in edit, and when the video is rendered, there are missing frames.

I'm not super experienced in Fusion so I can't tell if this is because I'm messing something up in the nodes or if it's because of an error with Fusion.

My workflow looks something like:

GreenScreenFootage---nodes for color correction, resizing, etc.--- merge --- output

Background---nodes for color correction, resizing, etc.--- merge --- output

I tried to post a link to a video but I guess I have to wait for permission to do that.

Anyway, I'd love feedback, even if it's just "gather some sort of specific information" lol.

Thanks in advance!

Hendrik Proosa

Re: Weirdest Glitch Due to Fusion?

PostThu May 13, 2021 7:41 am

Frames are missing means it drops some frames and “jumps”? Or are they corrupt/glitchy? Sounds like frame rate mismatch. Fusion as a compositing software works on frames, it does not care about real time. Edit page on the otherhand tries to stuff clips based on running time. Does your source clip framerate differ from timeline framerate and does the original clip without fusion comp play and render without these dropped frames?
I do stuff

Jim Simon

PostThu May 13, 2021 2:20 pm

My first thought is you just need to Cache the Fusion comp on the Edit page.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

RareRabbit

PostFri May 14, 2021 9:47 pm

Thanks for the responses!

The comp rendering doesn't seem to be a problem, it appears to be more along the lines of a mismatch with the stock footage I've been practicing with? I corrected the frame rates for the footage but the issue persists?

Looks like I can link a video now, so here goes:

Jason Conrad

PostFri May 14, 2021 10:16 pm

clear your cache and re-generate or disable it.
-MacBook Pro (14,3) i7 2.9 GHz 16 GB, Intel 630, AMD 560 x1
-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

RareRabbit

PostSun May 16, 2021 4:40 pm

Jason Conrad wrote:clear your cache and re-generate or disable it.

Yes! That seems to mostly do it. Still glitches occasionally but that did seem to "clear" up the issue. This newbie thanks you!

And thanks, everyone, for offering solutions. :)

I have the feeling that I'm doing something wrong with how complicated I'm making the Fusion shot and my inexperience in that regard is what's causing the issue, but it's nice to have a workaround.

Return to DaVinci Resolve