Timecode skewed after rendering interlaced individual clips

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Dodge_C

Timecode skewed after rendering interlaced individual clips

PostThu May 13, 2021 1:18 am

Whenever I have 29.97 interlaced footage, 29.97DF, in either a 29.97DF timeline or a 59.94DF with Interlace Processing Enabled. The timeline and everything works great, but as soon as I go to export in 1080i via DNxHD, the start timecode on the exported file changes by a range of 11 frames to 4 frames.

After a few hours of testing I think I have found the issue, but I'm not sure how to fix it. Whenever I export any progressive media with a drop frame rate the exporter respects the timecode and passes it along as is with no issue, even if I render the clip out in progressive or interlace.

However, when I render out an interlace clip with drop frame back to interlace with drop frame rate I get a skewed start timecode, this doesn't happen if render the interlace clip as progressive, it just changes the clip to 59.94DF 1080P.

I also noticed if I change the clip attributes of the original clip in the media pool and uncheck use drop frame rate, the start timecode drops down by the same amount of frames as the interlaced clip being exported in interlace again.

I believe something in the render-er is not properly passing along or misinterpreting the proper timecode of drop frame interlace footage. I also believe this is a bug with the delivery page in 17 since this is not an issue with Resolve 16. I've tested both 17.1 and 17.2, the issue persists in both of these versions of Resolve.

Does anyone else have this issue or possibly know a work around?

I can replicate the issue on Resolve 17.1 and 17.2, on multiple windows 10 machines.

Yoram Tal

Re: Timecode skewed after rendering interlaced individual cl

PostWed May 26, 2021 12:35 am

I am having the same issue and have been pulling my hair on this... I might need to downgrade to 16 for my next show. That is a huge issue since my other shows are done on 17 and I am on remote server database...RRR please fix!
Tal
Online Editor and Colorist From LA
MAC Pro Death Star 8 core 32gig AMD D700

Return to DaVinci Resolve