Fairlight 3.1 Audio SetUp ?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

RealSting

PostThu May 13, 2021 10:08 am

I'm currently building a 5.1 system for Fairlight. Currently I only have the two studio monitors and a Sub (LFE). So, for now, I will only be using the 3 speaker set up. So my question: How do I configure Fairlight to recognise there is a Sub Channel so that I can monitor and mix in 3.1. (Using the Left-Sub-Right).

I've seen that in the prefs (Video and Audio I/O) there is the Monitor Set Format which as a pull down list - 'LCR' which is (I guess) 3.1. But the the 'C' (I believe is Centre) needs to be the LFE .. there is no Left-Sub-Right configuration?!

Cheers.
Late 2013 (Trashcan) MacPro
8 Core/32GB RAM/D700 GPU/1GB System SSD HDD
8 TB G-TECH RAID 0 Thunderbolt Ext. HDD (Media drive)
Focusrite 2i2 AI
27” Apple Retinal Display
Tangent Ripple Colour Surface
OSX Catalina (latest version) - Resolve Studio 17 beta

Reynaud Venter

Re: Fairlight 3.1 Audio SetUp ?

PostThu May 13, 2021 10:16 am

Use the "2.1" Monitor Set format in Preferences > System > Video and Audio I/O > Speaker Setup since you are using a LR-LFE configuration.

Andy Evans

PostThu May 13, 2021 10:20 am

There really is no such thing as 3.1
There is 2.1, which is stereo speakers with a sub, and a crossover setting the frequency point where the stereo mix is sent to the speakers above the crossover, and the sub below the crossover.
The crossover point can be handled by a monitor controller, amp, or some active subs have crossover control and a speaker feed out of them, so you sen it all to the sub then out of the sub to the left and right speakers.
Just mix in stereo till you get all your 6 speakers setup
Sound Designer/Mixer
Melbourne Australia
www.mud.net.au

Jim Simon

PostThu May 13, 2021 2:14 pm

I would probably do this by sending audio out via HDMI into a receiver, let it manage the sub.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Mattias Murhagen

PostThu May 13, 2021 2:46 pm

I agree with Andy, mix in stereo for now.

If you want to use the sub then see if it has a built-in crossover and use that instead. In that case you'd go stereo out from Resolve/Fairlight into your sub, and then out from the sub (after its internal crossover) to your main speakers. That way you have bass management and (possibly) a full-range signal in your monitor chain, and you can deliver plain old stereo.

Nobody delivers L/R/LFE as far as I know.

RealSting

PostSat May 22, 2021 11:05 am

Mattias Murhagen wrote:I agree with Andy, mix in stereo for now.

If you want to use the sub then see if it has a built-in crossover and use that instead. In that case you'd go stereo out from Resolve/Fairlight into your sub, and then out from the sub (after its internal crossover) to your main speakers. That way you have bass management and (possibly) a full-range signal in your monitor chain, and you can deliver plain old stereo.

Nobody delivers L/R/LFE as far as I know.
Thanks to all those that have replied, your comments are very useful.

Matthias: I’m using (or shortly will be) the Yamaha HS8S as my sub and daisy chaining out from there to 2 Yamaha HS7’s. If the HS8S daisy chains out, then I’m presuming there is a crossover built-in?

3.1 is a term I’ve used because some stereo setups don’t monitor the LFE with a separate speaker. Walter Murch discusses 3.1 (probably where I picked up this little-used term?!) on a video I once saw many years ago using a similar set up to what I’m trying to describe above.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focusrite 2i2 AI

Charles Bennett

PostSat May 22, 2021 2:03 pm

Yes, that sub has a crossover. You connect your left and right speakers to the XLR outputs.
HS8S.JPG
HS8S.JPG (93.49 KiB) Viewed 721 times

A stereo system without a sub is designated 2.0. A 3.1 system has left, centre, and right speakers with a separate sub either fed discretely or via a monitor controller.
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

RealSting

PostSat May 22, 2021 4:54 pm

Charles Bennett wrote:Yes, that sub has a crossover. You connect your left and right speakers to the XLR outputs.
HS8S.JPG

A stereo system without a sub is designated 2.0. A 3.1 system has left, centre, and right speakers with a separate sub either fed discretely or via a monitor controller.
Thanks Charles, had a feeling the HS8S did!

Yes, I’ve slightly confused this term 3.1 in my post. I realised Resolve sees 3.1 as L,C,R and I was using 3.1 to emphasise the point I was using a sub and not just L and R. (Walter Murch probably did the same in that video I mentioned!). It was my lazy use of the term that was confusing, sorry!

Thanks to everyone.

Focusrite 2i2 AI

Mattias Murhagen

PostSat May 22, 2021 10:34 pm

RealSting wrote:3.1 is a term I’ve used because some stereo setups don’t monitor the LFE with a separate speaker. Walter Murch discusses 3.1 (probably where I picked up this little-used term?!) on a video I once saw many years ago using a similar set up to what I’m trying to describe above.

I would think that Walter was talking about 3.1 as L/C/R/LFE, or if he didn't it was a while back.

Any link to the video?

RealSting

PostSun May 23, 2021 12:07 am

Mattias Murhagen wrote:
RealSting wrote:3.1 is a term I’ve used because some stereo setups don’t monitor the LFE with a separate speaker. Walter Murch discusses 3.1 (probably where I picked up this little-used term?!) on a video I once saw many years ago using a similar set up to what I’m trying to describe above.

I would think that Walter was talking about 3.1 as L/C/R/LFE, or if he didn't it was a while back.

Any link to the video?
Quite possibly? But I shall once/if I can find the video.. I’m certain it was on YouTube and I seem to remember he was discussing how he likes to stand during editing and the fact he uses a draughtsman’s working board as an edit desk etc..

Focusrite 2i2 AI

Return to DaVinci Resolve