4K Gameplay Rendering - Movement Seems Off

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Lorne.T

4K Gameplay Rendering - Movement Seems Off

PostThu May 13, 2021 9:18 pm

I'm using Resolve to edit and render 4K 60 PS5 gameplay via OBS. The file size is pretty big and I'm rendering at about 80000KBS.

I'm using an M1 Mac mini. It's fine general editing, but if I add a transition it's a bit sluggish.

My videos look great when rendered, but there's something slightly off about the movement. I blamed it on OBS at first, but I think my original OBS recording seems better.

It's not jerky, but less smooth than it should be.

Is there anything I could tweak to fix it?

Uli Plank

Re: 4K Gameplay Rendering - Movement Seems Off

PostFri May 14, 2021 4:54 am

Sluggish is normal, the current M1 machines are entry-level.
Did you play and record on the same machine? You may have recorded in variable frame rates (VFR) then (check with MediaInfo). If so, you need to convert to constant frame rate, use a hardware recorder (much better) or use a simple amateur editor. Pro NLEs like Resolve can't handle VFR very well.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Mads Johansen

PostFri May 14, 2021 6:09 am

We're going to need samples of your footage before and after Resolve, to rule out resolve itself, and you need to show the project settings, to rule out a setting problem.
Davinci Resolve Studio 19B Build 20, Windows 11, Nvidia 3060 TI, 552.22 Studio

peterjackson

PostFri May 14, 2021 6:27 am

The difference between VFR and CBR is more narrow than many may think. Within containers each frame has a duration. Often expressed as fraction of a second. So even within standard framerates such 29.97 you may and will find a patterns of slightly alternating frame durations to match those framerates each second. So even what many call CFR files is technically already VFR.

What Mediainfo displays is a GUESS based on counting frames durations.

It gives you exactly nothing to run these files through any converter such as handbreak, which really only runs ffmpeg with -vsync flag.

Set clip attributes to match timeline FPS and Resolve will just clamp frame by frame to the timeline. This is in most cases much better than nearest interpolation that handbreak may do.

What could cause issues is audio. As Resolve seems to try to keep it in sync for each frame. If that's an issue bring audio seperatly into Resolve.
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

peterjackson

PostFri May 14, 2021 6:33 am

Uli Plank wrote:If so, you need to convert to constant frame rate

This is really backwards as this will cause duplicate frames to be created and others dropped making things more jerky. Set clip attributes to timeline fps is pretty much the best thing to deal with slightly VFR footage... which technically is EXACTLY the same as what happens with many files you'd consider proper CFR.

You can use ffprobe to check, if curious.
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

Uli Plank

PostFri May 14, 2021 1:33 pm

Nothing wrong with trying that option. Please report back, it may help others. There are quite a few who have reported issues with OBS and also Shadowplay footage in DR.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve