17.2 Fairlight config presets folder name change

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Andy Evans

17.2 Fairlight config presets folder name change

PostThu May 13, 2021 10:13 pm

EDIT - This is not a bug, just an issue wiht using fixed bus mapping versus flex bus...read below if interested.

On Windows 10, the update to 17.2 on my system the name of the folder the Fairlight config user presets are saved in has changed, from CONSOLE_FLEXI to just CONSOLE. So when I opened up the new version, none of the config presets I had previously saved were there, the menu was empty. The update doesn't overwrite or remove the CONSOLE_FLEXI folder, it's still there and a new folder called CONSOLE is created. The simple fix is to copy all presets from the previous folder to the new one and they all work in the updated DVR. I don't know if this is specific to my system or all Windows users, but thought I'd mention it in case someone else has the same issue.
The path to find the two folders is :
main system drive/user/app data/roaming/black magic design/davinci resolve/preferences/fairlight/presets/
Last edited by Andy Evans on Fri May 14, 2021 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sound Designer/Mixer
Melbourne Australia
www.mud.net.au

Reynaud Venter

Re: 17.2 Fairlight config presets folder name change

PostFri May 14, 2021 6:40 am

With Resolve 17.0 there should be two "Console" folders in the Presets folder since the two preset types are not interchangeable due to the internal structure of each Bussing mode (i.e. Fixed and Flexi Bus modes) and are therefore stored in different locations.

There should be a Presets folder dedicated to Projects set to use Fixed Bus mode ("Console") and one for Flexi Bus Projects ("Console_Flexi").

Andy Evans

PostFri May 14, 2021 6:57 am

Hi Reynaud, likely I only created a flexi bus preset, hence why I had no console folder, but the thing is after I updated to 17.2, I had no option to create a new timeline from a Fairlight preset. On 17.1 I did, so it's like 17.2 is not seeing the console_flexi folder with no timeline created and just a blank project.
Sound Designer/Mixer
Melbourne Australia
www.mud.net.au

Reynaud Venter

PostFri May 14, 2021 7:05 am

The Project default is Flexi Bus mode and with a blank Project within the "Create New Timeline" window, the "Use Fairlight Preset" option will expose presets stored in the "Console_Flexi" folder.
Is this what you say is not the case on your system with 17.2?

If the Project has the "Use Fixed Bus Mapping" option enabled in:
Project Preferences > Fairlight > Audio Busing Mode

With a blank Project within the "Create New Timeline" window, the "Use Fairlight Preset" option will expose presets stored in the "Console" folder. Is this aspect functional on your system?
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Andy Evans

PostFri May 14, 2021 7:24 am

It may have somehow defaulted to use fixed bus mapping when I ran the update for the first time..?
I've deleted the copy of the preset I copied over to the 'console' folder and made sure fixed mapping is unchecked and it is all working as expected now, so who knows...a small glitch maybe? I didn't switch to fixed mapping, but when I created a new project for the first time after the update, no saved presets were showing, but it's all working now. Thanks.
Sound Designer/Mixer
Melbourne Australia
www.mud.net.au

Andy Evans

PostFri May 14, 2021 7:30 am

I'm glad you brought this up, because at home I use flex bussing the whole time, but at the studio they use fixed bussing, which explains why they have the little squares with the bus numbers instead of the assigns that I have. I was wondering what was going on there...
Sound Designer/Mixer
Melbourne Australia
www.mud.net.au

Return to DaVinci Resolve