17.2 Bug on ProTools AAf export

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Renato

17.2 Bug on ProTools AAf export

PostFri May 14, 2021 11:44 am

Hi guys,

Congratulations on a great release. So many good things.

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a bug, but AAFs of synced clips coming from v17.2 no longer open up in Protools with the original audio file name. They carry the name of the synced clip, and therefore can't be relinked to the original audio files with the "Field recorder guide" workflow.
Has anyone else seen this? Is there something that I'm missing?

I'd been testing this workflow lately with v17 and it seemed usable. Ixml data was not carried, but the original file name was and I was able to relink to the original audio. Is anyone succesfully using this workflow in long form/complex projects? I can't find all that much info in the forums. I've seen a bunch of threads about this workflow, but since it's getting attention from the devs in recent releases I thought I'd open an updated thread.

Cheers & thanks for all the hard work.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: 17.2 Bug on ProTools AAf export

PostMon May 17, 2021 3:20 am

Check in the view menu if you have 'show synced audio file name' and check that you can see it in the fairlight page. if not, do that and check the export again.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Renato

PostMon May 17, 2021 5:16 pm

Hi Peter,

thanks for your answer. I checked "show synced audio file name" and saw the original audio file name in the edit page and in Fairlight, but the problem persists. I've been going back and forth between v17.2/v17 and Mac/PC, and I'm getting some weird results. I'll try to give you as much info as I can:

PC is home built:

B550 vision D Gigabyte board
128 gb RAM
Ryzen 3900X
Vega 64 8gb
Windows 10 Pro 20H2

Mac is a 2018 Mac mini, 6 core i7, 64 gb RAM, Vega 64 egpu. Catalina 10.15.5.

Footage is from an old project shot in R3D (2017). Audio is 6 channel BWF and has what looks like standard iXML data. I don´t know what recorder it comes from, but if it's important I can try to find out.

First I exported v17 AAFs from both machines, using different combinations of settings. The file name did get through. However, upon closer inspection today I noticed that the timecode is carried from the video file and not from the audio file. Jam sync is rarely spot on (in my case there's a 2 frame difference), so when I relink to the original wav files they are no longer in sync.

I upgraded both machines to v17.2 and also exported with different combinations of settings. The original file name never got through to Protools. Inside Protools the audio files carried the name from the camera file, but the actual audio files generated by resolve were properly named:

Screenshot 2021-05-17 at 18.59.30.png
Screenshot 2021-05-17 at 18.59.30.png (27.01 KiB) Viewed 906 times

I started going back and forth installing/uninstalling versions 17 & 17.2. At some point something weird happened, and this showed up in Protools: The string _14_ (for scene 14) has somehow become _*2014_ inside Protools.

Screenshot 2021-05-17 at 18.41.55.png
Screenshot 2021-05-17 at 18.41.55.png (27.6 KiB) Viewed 906 times

Screenshot 2021-05-17 at 18.52.59.png
Screenshot 2021-05-17 at 18.52.59.png (43.94 KiB) Viewed 906 times

Upon going back to v17 I was now unable to export AAFs that carried the audio file name. I was using the same project for all these tests, so maybe that's related to the funkiness, because I did see some inconsistent behaviour.

Eventually I reinstalled v17, I created a new project and I was now able to get the original file name into Protools. Then I reinstalled v17.2 and also created a new project, but I still ended up with the video file name in Protools. These last tests I just performed with the PC, as I have somehow locked myself out from Resolve Studio in the Mac (I get an activation error).

I know I'm not the only one waiting for Protools AAF export to be solid in order to jump onboard. This is a great piece of software. Many thanks for all your efforts. I hope this long post will be useful.

Cheers.

Renato.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue May 18, 2021 10:38 am

Quite. thanks.
We have fixed a number of the protools export issues but this seems to one to yet get too.
if possible, can you do a project archive, and then also inc the AAFs resolve generated, put them on dropbox and PM me a link that I can pass to someone to verify here.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

cyrilSbdZ

PostTue May 18, 2021 11:37 am

Hi,
It seems to me that if resolve detects a space in the file name when exporting AAF, it replaces the space with "%20"
So CYL280617_ 14pu will become CYL280617_%2014pu

lpaillo

PostTue May 18, 2021 12:51 pm

Hi there ! I have the same issue. I don't find a way to export AAF with source audio file name. Davinci change the name of audio file (thay have the name of the video file). In my timeline, I can see the original file name. Any solution please ?

Thanks !

Renato

PostTue May 18, 2021 6:42 pm

Hi Peter,

I just sent you a link with the project & AAF file.

I can confirm that Cyril is right. The problem is the space in the file name. I duplicated the file, removed the space and the file name showed up correctly in Protools.

Rohit Singhal

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 19, 2021 7:30 am

Hi Renato,

You mentioned the 'space' in the name being replaced with '%20' only happened when you went btw 17.0 and 17.2 quite a few times?
Is it possible for you to make a fresh project with 17.2 that shows this issue and send us?
Rohit Singhal
DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Renato

PostWed May 19, 2021 9:42 am

Hi Rohit,

the project that I uploaded is a fresh project that I created yesterday on v17.2, I think. But I'll make a new one this afternoon to be 100% certain. However, the "%20" issue is not related to going back and forth between versions. I can only see this issue exporting from v17, since every AAF that I have exported from v17.2 brings the video file name (and video file TC) into Protools, not the audio file name.

I mentioned going back & forth with the same project because at one point I was unable to get the audio file name out of version 17 also. Eventually I uninstalled and hunted down all traces of Resolve before reinstalling v17 and making a new project. Then it worked. I think that it's the new project that did the trick, and not the uninstall.

I will see if I can reproduce this issue this afternoon and get back to you.

Cheers.

Renato.

Renato

PostWed May 19, 2021 2:51 pm

Hi Rohit,

I created two new projects, one on 17.2 build 11 and one on 17.0 build 39. Both projects have the same media (picture + audio file with and without a space in the name). I have sent you a PM with the link.

Here’s what I found:

-I cannot export an AAF from 17.2 that will bring audio file names into Protools.

-I can get the audio file name into Protools from v17, but not the audio TC (only video TC)

-There is no issue regarding opening/closing a project repeatedly in v17 & v17.2. I tried this with a third version of the project and didn’t notice any problems in the AAF after going back & forth four times. I must have inadvertently unchecked “show synced audio file names” at some point in time.

Thanks for looking into this.

Renato.

Renato

PostWed May 19, 2021 2:57 pm

I forgot to add, the issue with "%20" shows up every time.

Return to DaVinci Resolve