Looking for tutorial

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

SRoyCh

Looking for tutorial

PostFri May 14, 2021 3:02 pm

Hello friends

This is my first post on this forum and I hope I have chosen the right sub-section to post my query. If not, moderators are kindly requested to move it to the appropriate sub-section. Apologies in advance for the inconvinience.

I have just downloaded and installed DaVinci Resolve 17.2. Thanks to the developers for this excellent software and for providing it free to purely non-commercial users like myself.

In a nutshell, I would like to do the following:

I shoot a lot of videos on travel (using my mobile and DSLR) and I would like to edit those in DaVinci Resolve. I would like to add creative commons licensed music, voiceovers, introduction and titles to those videos.

Being new here, I am not sure whether I am allowed to put links to my YT channel in the post, so I am not sharing the same. Previously, I used the editor provided by YouTube to edit my videos, but I am grossly dissatisfied with the result. I do all these on a completely non-commercial basis, and I intend to keep it that way.

I am looking for some free tutorials to help me to learn this beautiful piece of software. I want to learn what workflow I should follow and the tools I should use to obtain the intended end result.

There are quite a few tutorials available on the Blackmagic official website, but I am not sure whether those would be right for me, considering that I am rather new to all these. Though I am ready to learn seriously to become a 'very serious amateur'.

It would be really helpful if experienced members could point me in the right direction.

Thank you.

Charles Bennett

Re: Looking for tutorial

PostFri May 14, 2021 4:29 pm

Blackmagic's own free training videos and books are an ideal way to start.
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/products/davinciresolve/training
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

SRoyCh

PostFri May 14, 2021 4:37 pm

Charles Bennett wrote:Blackmagic's own free training videos and books are an ideal way to start.

Thank you for your reply.

I have referred to that page in my original post. Should I follow the order in which the videos appear on that page? There are 9 videos and 5 training book modules. I am not really sure the order in which I should use those resources. Is it necessary to continue both the video tutorials and books simultaneously?

Thanks again.

Sean Nelson

PostFri May 14, 2021 5:18 pm

Charles Bennett wrote:Blackmagic's own free training videos and books are an ideal way to start.
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/products/davinciresolve/training

Enthusiastic thumbs up! I highly recommend not just watching the video, but actually downloading the related files (available from the same web page) so that you can follow along on your own computer. There's simply no better way to learn.
DR Studio 18.6.4 Build 6, Win10Pro x64 22H2/19045.3570
Asus C246 Pro Motherboard, Xeon E-2278G@3.4GHz, 64GB ECC RAM
GeForce 3060 12GB, "Studio" driver 512.15
OS,Library: 1TB NVMe SSD - Project,Cache: 1TB NVMe SSD

Jim Simon

PostFri May 14, 2021 5:20 pm

The Beginner's Guide from the training web site is the best place to start, I think.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

SRoyCh

PostFri May 14, 2021 7:10 pm

Thank you, @Sean Nelson and @Jim Simon.

Jim Simon wrote:The Beginner's Guide from the training website is the best place to start, I think.

Is it the same one as pointed out by @Charles Bennett in his previous reply?

Sean Nelson

PostSat May 15, 2021 5:31 am

SRoyCh wrote:Is it the same one as pointed out by @Charles Bennett in his previous reply?

It is. Depending on your learning style you could start out with the "Intro to Editing" video or the "Beginner's Guide" book.
DR Studio 18.6.4 Build 6, Win10Pro x64 22H2/19045.3570
Asus C246 Pro Motherboard, Xeon E-2278G@3.4GHz, 64GB ECC RAM
GeForce 3060 12GB, "Studio" driver 512.15
OS,Library: 1TB NVMe SSD - Project,Cache: 1TB NVMe SSD

SRoyCh

PostSat May 15, 2021 6:29 am

Sean Nelson wrote:
SRoyCh wrote:Is it the same one as pointed out by @Charles Bennett in his previous reply?

It is. Depending on your learning style you could start out with the "Intro to Editing" video or the "Beginner's Guide" book.

Thank you for confirming. I am planning to start both video lectures and books simultaneously. I hope I am on the right track.

Jim Simon

PostSat May 15, 2021 9:05 pm

My opinion is that the videos are a good overview for folks looking to switch to Resolve, but once you decide to start using Resolve, the books are the better resource. They go into more detail.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

SRoyCh

PostMon May 17, 2021 2:58 pm

Jim Simon wrote:My opinion is that the videos are a good overview for folks looking to switch to Resolve, but once you decide to start using Resolve, the books are the better resource. They go into more detail.

Thank you so much for the clarification. These seemingly small clarifications mean a lot for a starter like myself.

Return to DaVinci Resolve