Issues with Resolve 17.2

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

josh98

Issues with Resolve 17.2

PostFri May 14, 2021 3:41 pm

Good Morning,

So this is an issue I also had last year with Resolve 16, once a year I edit a bunch of video clips ranging from 20 minutes to an 1 hour of 1080p 60 to 30fps video. Then they all go to a larger video that is around 3 hours long. It all starts out fine, skimming through the video is pretty smooth, playback from the preview is nice, audio stream is good. Not that many effects, some fade transitions, using the 3D qualifier to get rid of the green screen. All looks good not issues, CPU and GPU temps are nice as well. Work on a few clips for 5 hours, stop. Next day the video playback is choppy, all of resolve is slower, switching modes in the editor is slower, and it's very annoying to work with. GPU rendering is on, on CUDA since I have an NVIDIA card, tried deleting all the cache, setting the rendering cache, uninstalling and reinstalling Resolve. Nothing, My GPU drivers are up to date, my chipset drivers are good all up to date. This happened last year and I decided to edit as is even though it was a pain, I don't wanna do that this year since it will be a bigger pain this time.

my specs
R7 2700X OC @ 4.2GHz
RTX 2080 Super 8GB
32GB G-Skill RAM clocked @3200
C Drive WD Black 500GB NVME, also where Resolve is installed and projects reside in
Drive where I keep my media is a 2TB Seagate HDD

any further information needed I can provide

Roamer105

Re: Issues with Resolve 17.2

PostFri May 14, 2021 5:45 pm

I noticed the same issue on my system. Double-checked everything including updating the driver for my 12GB Titan xp - no dice. I have a project that I worked on with 17.1.1. It is 5.4K HLG video. It all worked fine on that version, all editing and grading OK. I don't use proxy and do all editing/grading with full quality playback.

With 17.2 none of this works anymore. I get GPU memory full without even touching anything once the project loaded. Playback is nearly impossible as it plays about 1 second and then stalls, plays a second again and then stalls. Selecting a clip takes upwards to 10 seconds for the viewer to change to the new clip. Completely useless. I am back on the older version and suffer a slower startup.

Hunter Schultz

PostSat May 15, 2021 11:00 am

You're not the only ones with the issues.

I rolled back to 17.0, clean install of Studio driver, optimized for DR, and same issues with playback. Even when rendering, DR will pause and then catch up. Rinse and repeat until finished.
DR Studio 17.2
Ryzen 3600
ASUS X570 Tuf Gaming
MSI GTX 1070 8 GB / Studio Driver
32 GB 3200 Ram

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostMon May 17, 2021 1:32 am

Juan, Beat

Please refer to my response here for Hunter to chek for potential graphics setup issues.

Please provide a shareable link containing a log archive (ZIP), a Windows NFO file, and an example project export (DRP) file for us to take a look at. Please use this post as a step by step reference.

Thanks
Shrinivas

Roger Singh

PostMon May 31, 2021 2:24 am

I'm having issues with Resolve 17.2 on a Windows Desktop.

For the first few minutes, it plays back fine, but soon after in the color page, each clip takes a slight a pause before continuing to the next clip. After a little while after that, it seems to take a long time to do any tasks in the color page, and like copy and pasting a color grade. It gets very distracting. If I switch to the edit page, the same timeline plays back smoothly. I have this happening with both a R3D timeline and a 1080p Prores Timeline.

To fix this problem, I restart Resolve, but the same behavior starts showing again soon after.

Here's my log file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11YFpuq ... sp=sharing

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jun 02, 2021 12:21 am

This was happening with this project: WeddLounge EP1 ?

If so, can you send a project export .drp of that project?

Also send a Windows System Information .NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to DaVinci Resolve