Speed Editor Playback Speed & missing keys

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

gabe67

Speed Editor Playback Speed & missing keys

PostSat May 15, 2021 9:44 am

I can't find a way to use the Speed Editor Keyboard to double my playback speed (equivalent to double-press L). I can't believe this function is not integrated. It's sort of essential.. Especially when talking about - well.. editing speed. I see how the SHTL wheel has this functionality but it's not really what I would call "ease of use". Double tap play should do the trick.

Another thing that I think is essential: Go To In & Go To Out.

For me this editor doesn't replace mouse and regular keyboard in any type of situation. But it came free with my activation, so I am not complaining :)
Davinci Resolve Studio 18.5, MacOS Ventura, Macbook Pro M1 Max

pbuedi

Re: Speed Editor Playback Speed & missing keys

PostMon May 17, 2021 2:29 pm

Exactly what I thought when I worked with it!
Those 3 features would be very welcome.

Double speed playback could be possible by double pressing Space bar maybe... or it could be a function for the button feature of the jog wheel.

Going to in / out might be possible via press+hold on the in / out keys maybe?

I really would like to see more functions added to the speed editor, or open its key configuration up in the Resolve Settings, so you can add some functions to keys you do not use.

AHSalerno

PostWed May 19, 2021 3:12 am

Completely agree! Its disappointing that the Speed Editor is so confined to the Cut page. And I get it, as far as the appeal and usefulness of the Cut page... for certain editing scenarios. But to have a control surface only fully functional in just a portion of the software is a missed opportunity.

That being said, out of curiosity, I went back to my Contour Shuttle V2 and while the editable functionality of that device can't be beat, the build quality of the Speed Editor and that sweet, sweet jog wheel are in a class of their own, far outpacing the Shuttle V2.

But, yeah... all those CAM buttons make me sad when I'm in the Edit page, which is most of the time (being in the Edit page, not being sad. Then again.. ). Blackmagic really should open this thing up to the whole suite. Let us resize the windows, or hit the Timeline button multiple times to shuffle through open timelines and compound clips.

Still, it's nice there's some descent crossover, like with the Trims, Roll, Append, Ripple Overwrite, etc. Though, honestly, I'm so trained with keyboard shortcuts, I don't see the need to get used to a new control surface when the keyboard is still the fastest gun in the West.

gabe67

PostSun May 23, 2021 3:04 pm

Exactly. I think the speed editor should focus on adding functions instead of trying to replace them. I don't see myself just using the speed editor and no keyboard even for making first selects.
Davinci Resolve Studio 18.5, MacOS Ventura, Macbook Pro M1 Max

Sid Jervis

PostMon May 24, 2021 4:07 am

For me (new to DR) I really appreciate the cut page.
The speed editor is really useful, less keystrokes to remember, buttons in place of some common keyboard shortcuts is a plus and I do find that it is fast.

My higher speed play option is: The fast review button on screen, it offers accelerated playback through source tape or through the timeline. Long clips play faster, short clips play a bit closer to real time. It's not x2, but I think that in some cases (long rushes) it is faster.

I'd agree that reprogrammable keys would be a plus, I don't often use nine cameras.

Return to DaVinci Resolve