How do I consolidate the same clip within bins

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Stephen Buckley

How do I consolidate the same clip within bins

PostSat May 15, 2021 6:14 pm

The situation:
I have two drives that have the same master footage.

Without going into the messy details about why I'm working with two sources with the same footage, I've managed to pull some of the same footage from both drives as this edit has gone on.

Example: I have ClipA on an E: drive and elsewhere in the edit I may also be using an identical ClipA from the P: drive.

I finally now decided to consolidate all the footage to one drive using the right-click on a bin's Change Source Folder... command to all the clips on the E: drive.

That seemed to work fine, however, now in the bin I still have two copies or a pair of the same clips with the same File Path.

So, in my bin I have ClipA still on the P: drive and just below that entry an identical ClipA from a P: drive (original from the E: drive).

I guess I was hoping that it would then consolidate to a single ClipA entry.

Since this isn't the case, is there a recommended way to achieve this?
Davinci Resolve Studio 18 - Windows 10 Pro - DELL 7910 Intel Xeon E5v3 @ 2.60GHz 12-core Tower Workstation with 96GB ram - GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 TI - 1300w PSU

Stephen Buckley

Re: How do I consolidate the same clip within bins

PostSun May 16, 2021 11:22 pm

Update:

Still haven't found a solution, but I've noticed that, at least with this project, editing or doing anything is impossible, there is a point where the program just seizes up without any error. I can only presume that it is because of the duplicate entries.

I can do a force quit and then restart to attempt to further edit.

I actually attempted to delete one of the duplicate files in the bin, so that those clips on the timeline would appear as a red clip or Offline Media. However, right-clicking to Find Media in Media Pool doesn't seem to do anything, even though there is a clip in there with the same filename and file path.

Any ideas?
Davinci Resolve Studio 18 - Windows 10 Pro - DELL 7910 Intel Xeon E5v3 @ 2.60GHz 12-core Tower Workstation with 96GB ram - GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 TI - 1300w PSU

Stephen Buckley

PostWed May 19, 2021 1:54 am

Success...

Apparently, it isn't a fluke to have an identical clip instance in a bin. So what I had to do was manually disable the Conform Lock Enabled on all the clips on the timeline that was of a specific instance of a file. It so happened that all the secondary instances of a clip had low Usage. Doable...tedious, but doable.

Once I've disabled the Conform Lock Enabled, I deleted all the instances in the bin. This caused all the files I disabled to appear red on the timeline (media offline). Then I did File -> Reconform From Bins with the Filename checked.

Then restarted Davinci. The reason for this, at least for me, as if during all these steps above, I attempted to play the timeline, especially after moving to another timeline, there would be a point where the program would just seize up and eventually prompting to want to quit and restart or wait.

Stephen Buckley

PostWed May 19, 2021 1:59 am

I just realized to speed up the process I outlined in the previous post was to simply delete one of the instances in the bin. This would reveal the clips on the timeline you would need to disable the Conform Lock Enabled. You can select all the red clips and then disable the lock all in one go (per timeline). Then Reconform From Bins.

I didn't think about it at the time, because I was figuring it out as I was going.

Stephen Buckley

PostWed May 19, 2021 9:57 pm

Now the problem is...

Okay, everything I posted above is still valid. I can view and play back all the smaller timelines no problem. Now the problem is if I were to playback on the Master timeline (which contains all the other timelines or scenes), Davinci will appear to seize up or freeze. I can still click around, save go to other timelines, but the playhead will no longer move forward when attempting to play. Nor will the program monitor update if I click to other areas of any timeline.

So, basically I cannot really do anything now. I've updated my nVidia card drivers and hadn't any luck either.

Please advise!

Stephen Buckley

Re: How do I consolidate the same clip within bins - SOLVED

PostTue May 25, 2021 12:51 am

A single corrupted media file will cause havoc to the entire project. Or at least in my case, it did. Once I replaced the corrupted file, the master timeline no longer seizes up.

Return to DaVinci Resolve