17.2 Conform from Bin ignoring TC

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Paul Curtis

17.2 Conform from Bin ignoring TC

PostSat May 15, 2021 7:14 pm

Not sure this is a 17.2 issue but thought to mention just in case.

So AAF from Premiere and have a file which is a QT movie animation, so no specific timecode, starts at 0. Quite a few of these and Resolve won't link them, but does retain the clip name and i can see the in and out point correct if i double click on the red media missing clip.

So select them and conform from bin via name and i can get Resolve to see the matching file and swap them BUT it totally ignores the In and Out points and resets each clip to the start.

What am i doing wrong?! There are lots of these and i don't fancy manually setting the in/out

help!
Paul

Mark Foster

Re: 17.2 Conform from Bin ignoring TC

PostSat May 15, 2021 8:31 pm

if there is no timecodetrack in the video it will be ignored
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

Uli Plank

PostSun May 16, 2021 2:11 am

You can insert TC with tools like EditReady or Kyno (and probably many others).
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Roen Davis

PostSun May 16, 2021 4:16 am

You can use Clip Attributes to set the timecode manually...
I usually run Premiere and Resolve side-by-side so I can sleuth these problems.
You don’t even need the Premiere media linked, just interrogate the details/properties/code info...
to the deaf person the dancer appears mad

Marc Wielage

PostSun May 16, 2021 4:19 am

Note that QuickTime Animation is a really old codec not widely supported. I think you're a lot better off either going with DPX (if you have to have uncompressed) or something like ProRes 444XQ if you can live with a "visually lossless" format. Both ProRes and DPX can store timecode numbers and reconform very easily.
Last edited by Marc Wielage on Sun May 16, 2021 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Paul Curtis

PostSun May 16, 2021 9:37 am

Thanks for all the comments.

The movies being used are usually ProRes, in some cases from AE and sometimes they are from mobile phones (mp4).

In Premiere the TC runs from 0, which i take t mean there's no native TC in them. The Editor has cut these files up and arranged them. All good.

In Resolve i get the edit and i can see the in and out points before they are conformed. So double clicking shows me the missing clip with an In and Out selected which means Resolve knows that X clip has an in and out and a set length overall. But as soon as i conform to the correct actual media clip then those In and Out are ignored and each one of the edits starts from 0 for each edit. I know i can go in one by one and reset them to the correct points but that's a huge amount of work in this case.

To my mind, the conform should really just work here, Resolve has all the data it needs. The source clips In and Out are zero based and the source file is zero based.

I will look into TC Tracks and see if adding to these clips will allow the conform to work but the way it currently is makes no sense to me.

The clip attributes show TC from 0:00:00:00

But these tips give me some more to look at today, very much appreciate it.

Kindest
Paul

Marc Wielage

PostSun May 16, 2021 11:03 am

Paul Curtis wrote:In Premiere the TC runs from 0, which i take t mean there's no native TC in them. The Editor has cut these files up and arranged them. All good.

No, it's not good if there's no embedded timecode in the file. If you tried to bring this session into FCPX or Avid or any other editing program, it'll stumble. For situations like these, you need to transcode early in the process and give the clips "real" timecode and unique filenames. That's a workflow rule that goes back a long time.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Paul Curtis

PostMon May 17, 2021 9:13 am

So to everyone, so a solution was to rewrap the necessary files with TC as suggested.

I still think that Resolve could just do the right thing - by default and assume in and out points would be zero based from the file. Would save a chunk of conform issues for lots of people.

But really appreciate the heads up.

Thanks
Paul

Mark Foster

PostMon May 17, 2021 9:43 am

Paul Curtis wrote:So to everyone, so a solution was to rewrap the necessary files with TC as suggested.

I still think that Resolve could just do the right thing - by default and assume in and out points would be zero based from the file. Would save a chunk of conform issues for lots of people.

But really appreciate the heads up.

Thanks
Paul

first of all, good that it works now.

as for the other thing:
like all professional editing programs, resolve is timecode-oriented, and that won't change.

that's why various hardware like some dslr and mirrorless cameras are not considered professional,
but only consumer hardware, if they don't offer various options like timecode, peaking and false color.

and software that fails to write a timecode track into the video file is no different.

cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

Return to DaVinci Resolve