Huge Gamma shift on output in 17.2

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ericschefter

Huge Gamma shift on output in 17.2

PostSun May 16, 2021 7:33 am

Hi all,

Has something changed under the hood regarding color space and gamma in 17.2?
Suddenly I have a huge shift in contrast and saturation in renders using the same settings I used in 16, but only in new projects, the old ones render correctly.
(Color Science: Davinci YRGB, Timeline color space: 709-A, Use Mac display color profile for viewers: ON)
(Data Levels: AUTO, Color Space Tag: Same as Project, Gamma Tag: Same as Project).
The image is hugely over saturated and much darker.
I can't figure out what I am doing differently...

Anybody else encountered this?

Thanks,

Eric
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019), 3,7 GHz Intel Core i5, 40 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB

Jim Simon

Re: Huge Gamma shift on output in 17.2

PostSun May 16, 2021 1:54 pm

Not seeing this with my own exports.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

ericschefter

PostSun May 16, 2021 8:34 pm

Figured it out! I was working in a project with Proxy Media, but hadn't turned on use proxy media in the render settings. When I do, everything looks fine.
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019), 3,7 GHz Intel Core i5, 40 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB

robertolding

PostFri Nov 12, 2021 5:27 pm

ericschefter wrote:Figured it out! I was working in a project with Proxy Media, but hadn't turned on use proxy media in the render settings. When I do, everything looks fine.

I so glad I found your post! I came back to a project I initially started months ago. I'd forgotten that I'd made proxies from Cinema DNG files for another editor. Our client came back this week and wanted a new cut and the project landed in my lap. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why I was having such giant swings in the gamma and color on output.
Robert Olding

Return to DaVinci Resolve