Programmable keyboard?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Wouter Bouwens

Programmable keyboard?

PostSun May 16, 2021 8:15 am

Is it possible to use a progammable keyboard with resolve? I mean a keyboard that has those g1, g2 etc extra keys on it. If I could programm those keys to some shortcuts like ctrl F12, ctrl 2, etc, that would be nice.

Wouter
CPU: Intel Core I9 10850K
GPU: MSI Suprim X Geforce 3080
Motherboard: MSI Z590-A Pro
RAM: 32 GB Gskil Ripjaws 3600
SSD: Samsung EVO 970 M.2 NVME 1TB

Wouter Bouwens

Re: Programmable keyboard?

PostMon May 17, 2021 7:29 am

Nobody ever tried this?

kobayashi

PostMon May 17, 2021 7:57 am

Hi,
I think that as long as the programmable keys send key combos, might work fine

I have no experience with commercial keyboards with macro keys, since I use Linux and often those require an app that run only in windows to program it.

But I have a 16 keys macro keypad with programmble firmware, set up to send key combos of the most used commands, and works fine for me.
Also, I have a streamdeck (there is an unofficial control app for Linux) and can be configured to do the same, with nice custom icons. Although it might not withstand the "abuse" that a keyboard or keypad with mechanical switches will.

Please bear in mind that I'm not a Pro.

Wouter Bouwens

PostMon May 17, 2021 8:59 am

kobayashi wrote:Hi,
I think that as long as the programmable keys send key combos, might work fine

I have no experience with commercial keyboards with macro keys, since I use Linux and often those require an app that run only in windows to program it.

But I have a 16 keys macro keypad with programmble firmware, set up to send key combos of the most used commands, and works fine for me.
Also, I have a streamdeck (there is an unofficial control app for Linux) and can be configured to do the same, with nice custom icons. Although it might not withstand the "abuse" that a keyboard or keypad with mechanical switches will.

Please bear in mind that I'm not a Pro.

Thanks for answering :)

Which macro keypad do you use?

Max Paperno

PostMon May 17, 2021 9:07 am

Wouter Bouwens wrote:Is it possible to use a progammable keyboard with resolve?

Sure, why not? I use a Logitech G11 for example, with 18 "G" keys. The G13 keypad seems to also be popular.

I found some G13 profiles online, which are useful for any Logitech keyboard (and their "Gaming Software" setup client). The annoying part is defining all the Resolve commands as macros, so these profiles help with that, at least as a starting point.
The most comprehensive set I found is linked in this article[1] where you have to scroll way down to about the middle of the page where he talks about the G13, and has this link[2] to download some profiles. (He also has a whole article[3] about using G13 for video editing in various NLEs).

Here[4] is my "work-in-progress profile" for the G11, based on the profiles linked above.

HTH,
-Max

(apparently I'm "not allowed" to post URLs... or attachments :roll: )
[1] jonnyelwyn.co.uk/film-video-editing-tools-for-editors/affordable-colour-grading-control-surfaces/
[2] jonnyelwyn.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Will-Tejeda-G13-for-Resolve-12.zip
[3] jonnyelwyn.co.uk/film-video-editing-tools-for-editors/video-editing-with-logitech-g-13-keyboard/
[4] max.wdg.us/av/Resolve/G11%20DaVinci%20Resolve%20Profile.xml

webdion

PostMon May 17, 2021 9:14 am

Wouter Bouwens wrote:Is it possible to use a progammable keyboard with resolve? I mean a keyboard that has those g1, g2 etc extra keys on it. If I could programm those keys to some shortcuts like ctrl F12, ctrl 2, etc, that would be nice.

Wouter

The best keyboard for davinchi is STREAM DECK, I have 32 keys, you can program them yourself, or buy icon packs and keyboard shortcuts https://www.sideshowfx.net/davinci-reso ... iles-sd-xl
I love this keyboard,i also have a Speed Editor and Mini Panel Davinci
➤ DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5
➤ Apple M1 Ultra with 20-core CPU, 64-core GPU, 32-core Neural Engine
128GB unified memory
8TB SSD storage
➤ Davinci Mini Panel
➤ Davinci Speed Editor
➤ Stream Deck XL

kobayashi

PostMon May 17, 2021 10:15 am

Wouter Bouwens wrote:
Thanks for answering :)

Which macro keypad do you use?

I use a sweet16 from 1up keyboards.
Its a kit, you need to assemble and solder yourself, but is pretty easy.
It uses an open source firmware, QMK, from the mechanical keyboard enthusiast scene. There is an online configurator that you use to generate your configuration and get the hex firmware file.
For me, works great.
Cheap (30$ complete with case, keys, re-legendable keycaps...), plug and play, platform agnostic and durable.
Caveats: not reconfigurable on the fly, and without hacking the microcontroller code you can only send simple key combos, eg: ctrl+alt+L, shift+G, single keys....

There are also other alternatives, but usually require an app to configure or are very expensive for what they are. I'd get the speed editor then, its not usable with other software but is a nice piece of kit.

I love to use also my streamdeck, but seems a bit more delicate (and expensive) and the feel of mechanical switches is way better for me: so I use the macro pad for the most used commands in the edit page and the streamdeck for the less used commands, or with key combo difficult to remember.

Wouter Bouwens

PostMon May 17, 2021 11:07 am

Thank you all for the replies, I have some things to ponder now.

g3ntile

PostThu Jun 10, 2021 1:33 pm

I use regular gaming half-keyboards and numeric keypads.
I bind keys to macro combinations using a free app for mac called Karabiner.
It allows you to even bind the same key (say, the letter L) on different keyboards to different key combinations, and fire different combos depending on the application receiving them. It's involved, because you must build some not-so-friendly json files, and have an elephant memory, or label your keys with custom stickers like me.
It takes a lot of time but is very efficient once done.
Anyway, I ordered a 32 keys streamdeck, I'm waiting for ot to arrive, I guess it's more practical than writing the macros and printing stickers like crazy.
I think both complement nicely the more dedicated (and expensive) options like speed editor, or the editing keyboard because of it's flexibility.
I'm on mac, but I bet there's something similar for windows or linux.
KeyboardScreen Shot 2021-06-10 at 10.26.47.jpg
KeyboardScreen Shot 2021-06-10 at 10.26.47.jpg (361.52 KiB) Viewed 1241 times

Return to DaVinci Resolve