License problem after downgrading from 17.2 to 17.1.1

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

franksemi

License problem after downgrading from 17.2 to 17.1.1

PostSun May 16, 2021 3:16 pm

Help, I cant use my DaVinci Resolve Studio anymore. I just bought my Blackmagic camera around three months ago and I have been using DaVinci Resolve Studio several times a week so far no problems.

I'm running Mac OS Big Sur 11.3 on M1 full specs. Started with DaVinci Resolve Studio 16 for a couple of weeks until the 17 beta with M1 support came out. Then updated to DaVinci Resolve Studio 17 with M1 support as soon as it was available. Then I updated to DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.1.1 with M1 and that was running fine too. But then it keep bugging me to update to 17.2, but I couldn't see any information that it was M1 supported. Anyway I thought it may be a mistake and just info missing on the site and all version would have M1 support from now, so I downloaded it and installed it. But it didn't work. Video was blank and in Preferences / System / GPU configuration I could not even see a device anymore. So I installed the DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.1.1 again, but now it says that I need to buy DaVinci Resolve Studio (see screenshot). I'm not even given the chance to re-enter my License Key.

I have the License Key for DaVinci Resolve Studio 16 that came with the camera so that should be fine i'm guessing!? How else would it have been running fine with DaVinci Resolve Studio up to 17.1.1.

Note.
I had two Mac's, an almost three year old Mac Book Pro that died more or less some time ago, and I tried to relive it yesterday by installing the OS again, and when installing DaVinci Resolve Studio17.2 it asked to re-entering License Key and so I did. Then it told me that "Licenses was cleared" cuz I used more than two. But I only used two computers at all time. Anyway I can't use that computer anymore cuz something it wrong with the hardware stability and it's not worth fixing. That's why I bought the Mac Mini M1, witch I must say have been running surprisingly good with DaVinci. Render/export times are 3 - 5 times as fast as the Mac Book Pro and interface is smooth with 4k timeline when configured correctly. Only killer on export time is noise reduction and various effects but's thats ok. I didn't expect any good performance on that anyway.

What can I do? I mean, dosn't seam fair that I have to buy a new License when the camera is this new, nether less afford it, i'm not using this for daily work. I only used two different computers, and It's said at first when I used the License key that I can in fact use it on two devices.

Please help.

Regards,
Frank
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-05-16_at_16-31-19.jpg
DaVinci_Resolve_Studio_17.1.1_Mac
Screenshot 2021-05-16_at_16-31-19.jpg (239.16 KiB) Viewed 793 times

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: License problem after downgrading from 17.2 to 17.1.1

PostMon May 17, 2021 3:25 am

You have installed the free version. You need to go to the web site and download Studio.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

franksemi

PostWed May 19, 2021 3:16 pm

Hi Peter,

No thats not true. I'm 100% sure. It also clearly said "DaVinci Resolve Studio 17" on splash screen startup.

However I figured how to un-register on the broken mac. I installed DaVinci Resolve Studio 17 again on the old mac, and found a menu where it said something about un-register or de-register. After I did that, I could start the one on the Mac Mini M1 again.

Now i'm just worried that when I get a second new computer I will run into the same problem!?

/Frank

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 19, 2021 11:42 pm

Resolve Studio won't even open without a valid access key or dongle.

And that message about reaching a limitation can only come from the free version.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to DaVinci Resolve