Adding markers to the timeline

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

piranha32

Adding markers to the timeline

PostMon May 17, 2021 3:42 am

Hello,

I use timeline markers to collect timestamps for YouTube videos while I edit them. Unfortunately, the default behaviour of the "Add Marker" command is to add the marker to whatever is currently selected, and with "Selection follows playhead" option active, it is the current video clip.
Is there a trick (or macro) to add markers to the timeline, regardless of active selection? I searched through keyboard shortcuts settings, and I did not find such command.

Jim Simon

Re: Adding markers to the timeline

PostMon May 17, 2021 2:36 pm

I don't believe so. You'd have to disable Selection Follows Playhead, or de-select first.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

piranha32

PostMon May 17, 2021 2:50 pm

Jim Simon wrote:I don't believe so. You'd have to disable Selection Follows Playhead, or de-select first.

That's a bummer. Makes working with Speed Editor much more difficult :/

Jim Simon

PostMon May 17, 2021 2:53 pm

Ahh. I don't use that myself. Someone else may have to chime in if the hardware offers a method.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

piranha32

PostMon May 17, 2021 9:04 pm

The console has a "Mark" button, but it works just like the keyboard shortcut. I don't mind reaching to the keyboard to use a shortcut, as long as I can place a mark on the timeline without switching focus.

Peter Luty

PostTue May 30, 2023 3:56 pm

Bit late in the day on this one and its probably been answered elsewhere .... but, position play head then click outside the highlighted clip to deselect the clip but leave the play head where it was positioned. Click 'M' then the marker will then be added to the timeline timing ruler rather than on the clip.

Return to DaVinci Resolve