DaVinci Resolve Studio 17

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

revmacian

DaVinci Resolve Studio 17

PostSat May 15, 2021 4:50 pm

First of all, I hope I have placed this post in the proper location - forgive me if I have failed.

Secondly, I have used DaVinci Resolve for about a year (started with ver. 16).. and I am impressed, wowsers! I am now looking to upgrade from the free version to the Studio version, but I have questions.

1. Where do I go? I have looked at some of the online resellers but they seem to be out of stock for DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.

2. Do I buy the "electronic delivery" option or the dongle option?

3. Is this a one-time-only version? If, for some reason, I have to reinstall Windows 10 from scratch, can I simply re-activate DaVinci Resolve Studio from the activation I have already purchased?

I'm not really interested in the dongle version but will accept it if I need to. The free Speed Editor is an interesting idea, though.

DaVinci Resolve 17 is amazing and I just want to go into this with as much information as possible.

Thanks for listening,
Ian
Kind regards,
Ian MacGregor

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: DaVinci Resolve Studio 17

PostMon May 17, 2021 3:48 am

moved to resolve forum
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Uli Plank

PostMon May 17, 2021 6:37 am

Delivery problems should exist only for the combination with the Speed Editor.
Dongle or key depends on your preferences, but the key will give you two instances you can run at the same. You can re-install the key as often as needed or even move it to a new machine. Sometimes there may be hiccups with BM’s key server when moving it, but normally your third installation cancels the former ones and you have two activations again.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Jim Simon

PostMon May 17, 2021 2:13 pm

1. You'll either have to find a retailer with a license in stock or wait.

2. I prefer the dongle. It allows me to use Resolve on any machine, and it fully avoids any Internet requirements. (There have been a lot of folks reporting activation issues this year.)

3. With the code, you can de-activate and re-activate. With the dongle, it's a non-issue.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

revmacian

PostMon May 17, 2021 3:27 pm

Thank you all for your replies, and thank you, Peter, for moving my thread to the proper place.

I think I'm going to go with the "key" option. The Speed Editor is an interesting idea, but I have become so accustomed to my custom keyboard shortcuts that I may as well stick with them.

Looking forward to using the Studio version.. can't wait! :D
Kind regards,
Ian MacGregor

Return to DaVinci Resolve