Stuck on Splash Screen

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Katlan

Stuck on Splash Screen

PostSat May 15, 2021 3:40 am

Hello, I really could use some help here and any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated:

I have been using DR on my computer for a few months now with no issues. But, something seems to have changed and now whenever I try to open the program, it gets stuck on the splash screen with "looking for control surface" written across it. Then it crashes. I would like to emphasize: DR was working but something has changed and I don't know what.

From watching videos on youtube and reading other forum posts regarding DR crashing, I believe it may be a driver issue. I have a program that updates the drivers on my computer automatically to the latest versions.

I have attached a zip folder with the NFO files that the forum says I should include, the capture logs, and my computer specs.

Can anyone tell me if there is a driver I need to uninstall?

Or maybe I am completely out to lunch on this. Any help is greatly appreciated. Will trade my first born son to get this program working again. Thanks in advance
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20210512_ 90620.zip
NFO file and Computer specs saved inside the zip folder
(669.01 KiB) Downloaded 36 times

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Stuck on Splash Screen

PostMon May 17, 2021 3:49 am

moved to resolve forum
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Jim Simon

PostMon May 17, 2021 2:27 pm

Katlan wrote:I have a program that updates the drivers on my computer automatically
I don't know if that's related, but I've had issues with such software in the past. That was a while ago, but it left a bad taste in my mouth and I prefer (and recommend) to not use them.

Update manually.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Igor Riđanović

PostMon May 17, 2021 3:31 pm

Disable your network adapter and see if it starts up.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Katlan

PostWed May 19, 2021 5:30 pm

Igor Riđanović wrote:Disable your network adapter and see if it starts up.

I have just went into settings then under networks and security I disabled the network adaptors. No change. Any other ideas?

Also, thanks for the note on automatic driver updaters. I have uninstalled the program.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 19, 2021 10:28 pm

First, I'll point out that your AMD R9-360 GPU with 2GB of VRAM is just barely adequate for Resolve. It won't support a timeline resolution higher than HD, and even on an HD timeline, you won't be able to do much GPU heavy grading. But you've been using it, so you are likely aware of the limitations.

It looks like when it was working, you were using Resolve 17.0 and AMD driver 21.3.1

Now you are using 17.1.1 and AMD driver 21.5.1. The crash issue looks related to the AMD driver.

The recommended driver for your GPU is currently 21.4.1.

But since 21.3.1 was previously working, I'd suggest trying that first. This is a link to the 21.3.1 driver:

https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/radeon- ... -mar24.exe

When you run the driver installer, select the Custom install option, and then the Clean install option.

If you still have issues after installing this driver, send another Resolve log and NFO file.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Katlan

PostFri May 21, 2021 8:47 pm

Got it working!

Thank you so much for the help. It looks like the driver was the issue. The link for the old driver brought me to a AMD page that just redirected to the new drivers. I tried driver 21.4.1 but it didn't work. I then tried AMD driver 21.Q1.2 and that seems to do the trick.

Thank you so much for the help!

Return to DaVinci Resolve