Color Tab with Cryptomattes

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Bruno@kxt

Color Tab with Cryptomattes

PostMon May 17, 2021 6:10 pm

Hi. I am new with Resolve. I search in youtube and the official videos, but I could not find the answer.

I am color correcting an EXR animation. I exported the render with crypto mattes. Using reactor plugin in fusion I can make it work. What I would like is to work with cryptomattes in the Color tab.

As I said I am new and I get a bit confused with Fusion vs Color. I am following a tutorial from the official web about color correction and I would like to follow it using the same workflow and avoid fusion.

I know that fusion has a color correction node...but it is a bit more limited than the color correction dedicated area...at least it seems so.

Thank you

Jason Conrad

Re: Color Tab with Cryptomattes

PostMon May 17, 2021 9:02 pm

I don't think the color page has access to all of the channels you can store in an .exr. I could be wrong. It should be in the manual, I'm just too lazy to check. Normally, you right-click on the matte in the media browser, add to media pool as matte, then import the matte in the color page by right-clicking in the background of the node graph. If you can't access each individual element of the .exr, you'll have to export them separately.

Bruno@kxt wrote:As I said I am new and I get a bit confused with Fusion vs Color. I am following a tutorial from the official web about color correction and I would like to follow it using the same workflow and avoid fusion.

As far as Fusion vs Color, you have to understand that Fusion was purchased from eyeon software well after the Color page existed, and it's being integrated over time. They weren't developed by the same company, so there's lots of differences and barriers between the two, although that will change.

Since you're already going through all of the steps to get Cryptomatte in Fusion, why avoid Fusion?
-MacBook Pro (14,3) i7 2.9 GHz 16 GB, Intel 630, AMD 560 x1
-[DR 17.0 Beta9]

Hendrik Proosa

PostMon May 17, 2021 9:48 pm

Problem with cryptomattes is deeper than having or not having access to other channels besides rgba, because crypto mattes are not regular pixel mattes. Crypto data is encoded basically as binary data dump into existing exr layer/channel system, not in a direct matte per channel way. And it needs additional manifest metadata for decoding namings. It can be added ofcourse, but not by simply reading some channel x from exr and dumping it as alpha to some color node.
I do stuff.

Bruno@kxt

PostWed May 19, 2021 9:42 am

Jason Conrad wrote:I don't think the color page has access to all of the channels you can store in an .exr. I could be wrong. It should be in the manual, I'm just too lazy to check. Normally, you right-click on the matte in the media browser, add to media pool as matte, then import the matte in the color page by right-clicking in the background of the node graph. If you can't access each individual element of the .exr, you'll have to export them separately.

Bruno@kxt wrote:As I said I am new and I get a bit confused with Fusion vs Color. I am following a tutorial from the official web about color correction and I would like to follow it using the same workflow and avoid fusion.

As far as Fusion vs Color, you have to understand that Fusion was purchased from eyeon software well after the Color page existed, and it's being integrated over time. They weren't developed by the same company, so there's lots of differences and barriers between the two, although that will change.

Since you're already going through all of the steps to get Cryptomatte in Fusion, why avoid Fusion?

Yes I think you are right. I was trying to avoid fusion just to be consistent with the tutorial on Blackmagic web explaining the "color" tab. I did find a way to add mattes as a node in the Color node tab. But unfortunately they do not work, they are all white...they seem all white.

The good news is that there are nodes for mattes in Color and the manual shows it in page 2822

Thank you
Attachments
resolve_doubt.jpg
resolve_doubt.jpg (278.61 KiB) Viewed 884 times

Return to DaVinci Resolve