17.2 - what is more stable on M1 mac?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Blade3d

17.2 - what is more stable on M1 mac?

PostMon May 17, 2021 10:30 pm

Just installed 17.2 on M1 mini with 16gb ram. Within 2 minutes I discovered ripple delete moves the audio track leaving the video track in its original location, as others have reported.

Up and down arrows jump to the next video clip, but ignore images placed on the timeline. I see no way to jump to the next or previous item on the timeline. Is this possible?

NextClipProblem.gif
(Each time the down arrow is pressed it jumps to the next video clip, ignoring any images in the timeline.)
NextClipProblem.gif (707.45 KiB) Viewed 774 times

Also I accidentally clicked on the mac green button to to into fullscreen mode, but now no Mac buttons ever show up so I can't exit fullscreen mode.

I lost 8 hours yesterday trying to find solutions. I just want to edit video and get my work done! Is there a stable, working version of DR that is better on the M1?

Dario Caamaño

Re: 17.2 - what is more stable on M1 mac?

PostTue May 18, 2021 12:45 am

Hi.
Two things maybe can help.
First, if you modify some keyboard settings, you need to delete it and create a new keyboard preset.
Davinci doesn't update your keyboard preferences so it's buggy.

Second I don't know from which version are you updating but is good to use a clean database sometimes.

I am running 17.1.1 on M1 Macbook pro and is good.
I hope that helps.

Blade3d

PostTue May 18, 2021 12:52 am

Dario, thanks for your input. This was a fresh install - no upgrade from any past installs and the project was newly created in 17.2. I am also running on the OS Big Sur 11.3.1.

When you place images and video clips on a timeline, does pressing the down arrow take you to the next content regardless if it is an image or a video clip?

And if you click on the "green mac button" for full screen, do you see any buttons to get back out of fullscreen?

And if you use ripple delete, does it move both the video and audio layer properly?

What OS are you using?

Thanks.

Dario Caamaño

PostTue May 18, 2021 1:29 am

I am running also 11.3.1

When you place images and video clips on a timeline, does pressing the down arrow take you to the next content regardless if it is an image or a video clip?
Yes. Did you check how auto track selector are working? All selected?

And if you click on the "green mac button" for full screen, do you see any buttons to get back out of fullscreen?
I don't see any green button, just CMD+F or the buttons on the horrible touch bar.

And if you use ripple delete, does it move both the video and audio layer properly?
Yes, not a problem.

feels like something is change the behavior, like a press button or something. Some hardware issue?

Are you using EDIT or CUT page?

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostTue May 18, 2021 2:29 am

Hi Derek

Like Dario mentions, It is likely your Auto Select controls for the video tracks arent enabled. they look like [<->] on the track headers. Chapter 34, Page 566 and Chapter 37, Page 623 are good references.

In the Playback menu, the Go To and Previous/Next submenus and Workspace menu -> Full Screen Window are what you're looking for. The key shortcuts are listed alongside each menu action.

Regards
Shrinivas

Blade3d

PostWed May 19, 2021 3:29 am

Shrinivas,

Your input was very helpful... it was USER ERROR... with a BUT.

You are correct that the little <-> button was not selected. HOWEVER, there are two problems with this that I see: 1) since that is the default function that most people would want (down arrow automatically moving the playhead to the next item in the timeline, seems like that button should default to being turned on. 2) I searched for hours trying to find the solution and had to finally resort to posting a message on the forum. Is there a way to make it easier for noobs, who have years of experience with Adobe, to make the transition to your platform and easily find the answers they need?

Maybe it's just me, but searching for "keyboard shortcut to advance to next clip" told me that the keyboard shortcut was up arrow and down arrow, but did not mention anything about how that doesn't work unless some random button is clicked to make that function work properly. Seems pretty counter-intuitive to have a keyboard shortcut that doesn't work unless another unmentioned dependency is turned on.

Then again, maybe everyone else on the planet gets all this and I'm just slow.

Thanks so much for you help.

Return to DaVinci Resolve