Can't add / select anything on timeline in Edit view

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mark Harmer

Can't add / select anything on timeline in Edit view

PostTue May 18, 2021 5:33 pm

In Resolve 17.2:

Working on a multicam clip, and have successfully exported a version for review.

After exporting I worked on the audio mix in an external editor and went back into resolve and tried to drop this new mix onto the multicam edit timeline. But I can't seem to drag / drop / right-click or select anything on the timeline on Edit page.

I managed to add the audio in the Fairlight page, and went to the "Cut" page and could access the video / audio clips there in the timeline, but the Edit page doesn't allow me to click on anything with the exception that the inspector allows me to zoom the video (for example) but the normal edit controls (select / snapping etc) are greyed out apart from marker colour. I can scroll through the timeline and play (using space bar) but can't add markers or do anything else. Audio mixer works, though and I can mute / solo the audio tracks on that, just not on the usual controls to the left of the clips.

It sort of seems "locked" but I can't see why!!! Help!

EDIT: restarted pc and Resolve, still the same problem.

Mark Harmer

Re: Can't add / select anything on timeline in Edit view

PostTue May 18, 2021 6:39 pm

Ok, in Edit... dropdown menu, I hit "duplicate current timeline" and I can now do what I expect to be able to do.

Still mystified though. The old one (which I duplicated) still doesn't allow me to do anything, as in prev post.

Jim Simon

PostWed May 19, 2021 2:22 pm

Nothing comes to mind. If you care to, maybe post some images?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Frank Glencairn

PostWed May 19, 2021 5:00 pm

I also saw that twice - shrugged it as a glitch - still a mystery.
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

Mark Harmer

PostSat May 22, 2021 1:54 pm

Hi both, will try to post some screenshots.

I might just open a new project to see if it still is a problem. I’ve also noticed that my waveforms seem to have disappeared (just leaving the rectangular block they were contained in) but not from every timeline. Just really strange.

Re-the double posting, something went wrong with the forum and my original post posted twice, as did some others around the same time. I deleted one of mine.

Mark Harmer

PostSun May 23, 2021 1:04 am

Started a new project today and it was fine. Mystery!

Alexandros Oikonomidis

PostFri Feb 23, 2024 2:12 pm

just adding to the mystery, happened to me too, for no reason the timeline behaved as if it were locked. can't click on a clip, can't put an input etc. and its duplicate works fine. strange things :)

Return to DaVinci Resolve