DR 17.2 Performance Issues and Blue Screen

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

dahya.mistry

DR 17.2 Performance Issues and Blue Screen

PostTue May 18, 2021 9:40 pm

I really don't understand the performance issues of DR 17 (.2) ??

* I've finalised a (30fps) video on the timeline
* Rendered it out as an MP4 (also tried MOV which had same results as below)
* Disabled the original timeline and created a new one with the rendered MP4

Q1. Now when I try and play the MP4/MOV in the timeline (no effects on it), it stutters and the fps jumps all over the place between 11 to 60 fps?? Why on earth can it not handle a single media file with no effects on it ?

Q2. A couple of times after importing the rendered MP4/MOV, I had the Windows Blue Screen of Death after a short while of attempting playback - I hardly see this screen normally, but this happened twice in half an hour, and having seen some posts here, I'm now convinced it must've been DR that caused it !

Q3. Also, generally speaking when trying to edit complex timelines, DR (17.x) usually stutters on playback, yet the hardware shown below hardly shows any usage (GPU around 30%, CPU even less) - why can't DR handle video on these specs? I've tried optimized media and proxy media, they don't seem to make much difference ! This has been happening for all versions of 17 (Studio) so far.

My PC Specs:

Windows 10
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
RAM: 32 GB
SSD x 2 (only half full, videos on separate drive to OS)
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 (38 GB)
NVIDIA Studio Drivers Installed (Latest version)
DaVinci resolve Studio Version
Usually working in 1920x1080 HD Timeline
Last edited by dahya.mistry on Wed May 19, 2021 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Warren

Re: DR 17.2 Performance Issues and Blue Screen

PostTue May 18, 2021 10:08 pm

dahya.mistry wrote:Q2. A couple of times after importing the rendered MP4/MOV, I had the Windows Blue Screen of Death after a short while of attempting playback - I hardly see this screen normally, but this happened twice in half an hour, and having seen some posts here, I'm now convinced it must've been DR that caused it

BSODs can only be caused by very low level problems, usually hardware or drivers. The reason they will sometimes only show up in particular applications is because that application is pushing the system harder or using different hardware/driver functionality compared to other applications.

You haven't got any overclocking going on, have you? Overclocking will significantly increase the risk of BSODs.
Resolve Studio 17.4.6 - Fusion Studio 17.2.2 - Windows 10
Gigabyte GTX1080ti 11GB - AMD 1950X - 64GB 2400
Gigabyte X399 AORUS Gaming 7
Intensity Pro 4k
Presonus 192 Audio Interface
Separate M.2 SSDs for OS and Resolve Cache

mwalker1000

PostTue May 18, 2021 10:27 pm

Mike Warren wrote:BSODs can only be caused by very low level problems, usually hardware or drivers. The reason they will sometimes only show up in particular applications is because that application is pushing the system harder or using different hardware/driver functionality compared to other applications.

You haven't got any overclocking going on, have you? Overclocking will significantly increase the risk of BSODs.

Totally agree. Resolve itself can't trigger a BSOD, but Resolve probably pushed your hardware to crash Windows.

But as far as the rendering and timeline performance... same here. I'm rendering right now and getting 2fps with 5% utilization on a 32 thread CPU, and almost no GPU involvement on a simple project outputting to DNxHR HQX. Looks single threaded to me.

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 19, 2021 6:37 am

dahya.mistry wrote:I really don't understand the performance issues of DR 17 (.2) ??

* I've finalised a (30fps) video on the timeline
* Rendered it out as an MP4 (also tried MOV which had same results as below)
* Disabled the original timeline and created a new one with the rendered MP4

Q1. Now when I try and play the MP4/MOV in the timeline (no effects on it), it stutters and the fps jumps all over the place between 11 to 60 fps?? Why on earth can it not handle a single media file with no effects on it ?

Q2. A couple of times after importing the rendered MP4/MOV, I had the Windows Blue Screen of Death after a short while of attempting playback - I hardly see this screen normally, but this happened twice in half an hour, and having seen some posts here, I'm now convinced it must've been DR that caused it !

Q3. Also, generally speaking when trying to edit complex timelines, DR (17.x) usually stutters on playback, yet the hardware shown below hardly shows any usage (GPU around 30%, CPU even less) - why can't DR handle video on these specs? I've tried optimized media and proxy media, they don't seem to make much difference ! This has been happening for all versions of 17 (Studio) so far.

My PC Specs:

Windows 10
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
RAM: 32 GB
SSD x 2 (only half full, videos on separate drive to OS)
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 (32 GB)
NVIDIA Studio Drivers Installed (Latest version)
DaVinci resolve Studio Version
Usually working in 1920x1080 HD Timeline

Can you grab logs and post it here please? From the help menu. Given your specs, you should get hardware decoding for your clip assuming it's 8-bit 4:2:0 h264. Can you also post a copy of your Resolve project (DRP file) so we can check the media type?
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

dimsum

PostWed May 19, 2021 7:04 am

I've experienced some stutter and lag issues recently as well. Based on this thread viewtopic.php?f=21&t=140799 , it could be related to either the Speed Editor if you have one or in my case, it seems to work a bit better, if I disable performance mode in
Preferences, Users, Playback Settings, Performance mode.

Resolve_MdQFkKrAf1.png
Resolve_MdQFkKrAf1.png (44.51 KiB) Viewed 1754 times
youtube.com/uhstudio | uhstudio.com
Win11, RTX 4 series

dahya.mistry

PostWed May 19, 2021 4:20 pm

Rohit Gupta wrote:Can you grab logs and post it here please? From the help menu. Given your specs, you should get hardware decoding for your clip assuming it's 8-bit 4:2:0 h264. Can you also post a copy of your Resolve project (DRP file) so we can check the media type?

Hi Rohit

see attached log files.

I haven't been able to attach the Project Export as it's 21MB which won't upload here? Let me know if you want me to send it any other way?

Note that I have since rendered and imported a single DNxHR file as opposed to a (H264) MOV/MP4 file which originally caused problems. The DNxHR media item currently in the timeline plays a lot better, whereas the H264 MP4/MOV files were all over the place with the fps values.
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20210519-165630.zip
Log Files
(273.85 KiB) Downloaded 27 times

dahya.mistry

PostWed May 19, 2021 4:24 pm

dimsum wrote:I've experienced some stutter and lag issues recently as well. Based on this thread viewtopic.php?f=21&t=140799 , it could be related to either the Speed Editor if you have one or in my case, it seems to work a bit better, if I disable performance mode in
Preferences, Users, Playback Settings, Performance mode.

Resolve_MdQFkKrAf1.png

Thanks for that, I will try that - and yes, I do have a Speed Editor, however it doesn't work with 17.2 as I now have to remove the device from Windows Bluetooth settings every time I start up my pc, then re-pair it....can't be bothered at the moment !

dahya.mistry

PostWed May 19, 2021 4:35 pm

Update

So today I have tried playing the timeline with the single media file, although yesterday I imported a DNxHR MOV file rather than a H264 MOV/MP4, and whilst I haven't made any major changes since then, today, all of the above files play fine, AND with my original timeline ENABLED which has the original clips with various grades and FX applied... ??

I don't understand, I've only made a couple of minor changes (added the DNxHR file with a fade out), and it seems to be working fine today ? No BSOD or many performance issues even though I have tried importing the previous H264 MOV/MP4 file into the project again...???

dahya.mistry

PostWed May 19, 2021 5:01 pm

dahya.mistry wrote:Update

So today I have tried playing the timeline with the single media file, although yesterday I imported a DNxHR MOV file rather than a H264 MOV/MP4, and whilst I haven't made any major changes since then, today, all of the above files play fine, AND with my original timeline ENABLED which has the original clips with various grades and FX applied... ??

I don't understand, I've only made a couple of minor changes (added the DNxHR file with a fade out), and it seems to be working fine today ? No BSOD or many performance issues even though I have tried importing the previous H264 MOV/MP4 file into the project again...???

OK, So I may have spoken too soon...

For the single DNxHR media item in the Timeline, I went to the Deliver page, as soon as I did that, the UI started to lag. Scrolling through the options was lagging.

After rendering the timeline, things were back to the same issues yesterday - very laggy, fps jumping from 1 to 60, this is for both timelines with all of my edits/colour grades, as well as for the single media item timeline.

strange...I hardly did anything, didn't apply any effects or anything, just went to the Deliver page and started to render?

I have had issues recently with rendering in 17.2, whereby sometimes the render can get 'stuck' at less than 10% for over 10 mins, so I have to quit DR, then it's fine after re-starting DR.

I've added the new log files here again in case they're useful to anyone ?
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20210519-180126.zip
Log files
(240.45 KiB) Downloaded 24 times

dahya.mistry

PostWed May 19, 2021 5:19 pm

dahya.mistry wrote:OK, So I may have spoken too soon...

For the single DNxHR media item in the Timeline, I went to the Deliver page, as soon as I did that, the UI started to lag. Scrolling through the options was lagging.

After rendering the timeline, things were back to the same issues yesterday - very laggy, fps jumping from 1 to 60, this is for both timelines with all of my edits/colour grades, as well as for the single media item timeline.

strange...I hardly did anything, didn't apply any effects or anything, just went to the Deliver page and started to render?

I have had issues recently with rendering in 17.2, whereby sometimes the render can get 'stuck' at less than 10% for over 10 mins, so I have to quit DR, then it's fine after re-starting DR.

I've added the new log files here again in case they're useful to anyone ?

So interestingly, I remember when I had the above problems from my last message here, that when I re-started DR I tried to get the Speed Editor working by pressing the buttons whilst DR was starting (used to work in 17.1, not anymore in 17.2).

So anyway, that got me thinking, this time I quite DR, removed the Speed Editor from the Bluetooth Devices in Windows, then re-started DR - touch wood, performance is a lot better for all my timelines (but not as good as I would expect for this pc !), and no lagging experienced yet !

So does that mean then that the Speed Editor is to blame for various performance issues?

Return to DaVinci Resolve