Is it possible to quickly remove silence in Resolve 17?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Allshorts

Is it possible to quickly remove silence in Resolve 17?

PostSat May 29, 2021 3:34 pm

Hi, I'm a novice with Davinci and I would like to quickly or AUTO removed silence in videos to speed up my workflow Is it possible to quickly remove silence in Resolve 17? Because my speech is poor I have many gaps.

Thanks xx

Jim Simon

Re: Is it possible to quickly remove silence in Resolve 17?

PostMon May 31, 2021 7:39 pm

There's no way to automate this.

But...I'm confused about the need to remove silence. I mean. It's silent. Who cares if that part of the clip remains. It won't be heard in the export because, you know...it's silent.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

tlegvold

PostMon May 31, 2021 8:50 pm

If you want to eliminate the noise floor completely, you can use a Gate. But then you'll probably want to add room tone, so like Jim said, why not just leave it?

Thor
Desktop: 2019 Mac Pro 16 Core CPU 192GB RAM | AMD Radeon W5700X 16GB | OS X Monterey 12.7
Fairlight Audio Accelerator CC-2 | Audio Interface SX-36 | Audio Editor (FAE) | Studio Console
Mobile: 2023 16" M3 Max MacBook Pro 64GB RAM | OS X Sonoma 14.3

Sander de Regt

PostMon May 31, 2021 9:20 pm

Jim Simon wrote:There's no way to automate this.

But...I'm confused about the need to remove silence. I mean. It's silent. Who cares if that part of the clip remains. It won't be heard in the export because, you know...it's silent.

As the OP says:

Because my speech is poor I have many gaps.

If you're not a native speaker, or if your train of thought has many stops along the way, the long silence of thinking between sentences can make videos boring or plain bad. Cutting out the silences i.e. jumpcutting between usuable pieces is a very useful and broadly accepted way to make these videos better.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Jim Simon

PostTue Jun 01, 2021 1:33 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:jumpcutting between usuable pieces is a very useful and broadly accepted way to make these videos better.
Noooooo it is NOT! That is incredibly annoying. It is the hallmark of an amateur, by far the worst habit to develop among the YouTube crowd. Such videos are unwatchable.

If you can't deliver the lines in a way that doesn't need editing, put someone else in front of the camera!
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Sander de Regt

PostTue Jun 01, 2021 1:45 pm

So, do you feel my tutorial videos are unwatchable? Serious question.
Or those of Stu Maschwitz on all things AE?

You're right it can be really annoying with featured speakers, but in my case I do tutorials with lots and lots and lots and lots of ehmmsss...moments where I'm thinking through what I'm going to do next and cutting out the silent parts is a *big* part of making them work.

So just because you don't like some implementations of the technique, there's no need to disparage the useful uses of it.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

partypoliticalpuffin

PostWed Jul 21, 2021 11:02 am

Hi all,

I am the archetypal YouTube amateur. I do try to get better at delivering lines etc but to be frank, the chase for 'perfection' is what has been most responsible for me NOT making content.

I would agree that ideally, it would be seamless but getting the idea out is the real point of making a YouTube video, for most 'creators'.

For the OP, you can use transitions like a crossover. They can have the effect of moving from one cut to another, having cut out a silence when you are thinking, for example, in a less jarring way.

I would say to most people do NOT be like me and worry endlessly that what you have made is not perfect, preventing you from publishing your work. I imagine if your audience likes the main body of what you are creating they will forgive these 'imperfections' as they are more interested in what you have to say or show. If it does matter to them, they may well just point it out in comments on areas to improve on over time.

I suspect that those watching will always be more interested in the meaning of what you are saying instead of a 'perfectly' delivered line.

No matter, I hope you are all well and safe.

Cheers,

Dave

Return to DaVinci Resolve