What Davinci Resolve 17.2.1 didn't fix...

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

jdsglobal

What Davinci Resolve 17.2.1 didn't fix...

PostMon Jun 07, 2021 2:31 am

Of all the improvements that were listed for Davinci Resolve 17.2.1 (or were included under the ubiquitous category of General Stability and Performance Enhancements), what didn't get fixed were Bluetooth connectivity issues with the DR Speed Editor. Here is my response to the thread that came out on the subject following the release of 17.2 (viewtopic.php?f=21&t=141276):

SkierEvans wrote:Fast start is still there as long a you just touch some keys on Speed Editor before you start. Not a big deal. Only need to reset BT in Windows after an update. At least that is the case for me.

Nope and nope...not in my case. After the 17.2.1 update I uninstalled and reinstalled my Speed Editor in my BT devices and it worked for one session until it went to sleep. Now nothing wakes it up. Not quiting and restarting DR. Not pushing keys on the editor. Not plugging in the Speed Editor to USB and unplugging it (which is what used to work in the 17.1 version).

The 'advanced feature' that I received in the 17.2.1 update is now DR is very slow to respond to my track ball. Pretty f#@%ing infuriating really!

Unfortunately, I don't think I can go back to version 17.1 because 17.2 included a firmware update to the Speed Editor.

Yes, it's more annoyance than fatal flaw...well, you could say that 15 sec to move between clips in the media pool when I double click it is at least a 'critical flaw'! But I think those of us that have invested pretty damn heavily in Blackmagic Design deserve better!
2020 Custom-build PC, Intel i9-10900X CPU, 10 Core(s) @ 3.70 GHz, 4.30 GHz OC, 128GB RAM, 2-2TB NVMe SSDs, 20TB Internal HDD Raid, Dual Nvidia RTX 2080 Super 8GB
Two BMPCC4K
Resolve Speed Editor, BM ATEM Mini Pro
Current Resolve Studio Ver. 17.2

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: What Davinci Resolve 17.2.1 didn't fix...

PostMon Jun 07, 2021 4:47 am

We are still investigating corner cases for bluetooth connectivity so for now a USB cable still lets you use the SE and 17.2.1.

If that or something else is not woking for you then working that detail is the next step.
delays in switching clips sounds like GPU driver so id start by a complete re-install, not upgrade, of the driver.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

jdsglobal

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 2:35 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:If that or something else is not woking for you then working that detail is the next step.
delays in switching clips sounds like GPU driver so id start by a complete re-install, not upgrade, of the driver.

Peter, the example I gave was a manifestation of the problem that I'm experiencing with my bluetooth devices connected to DR. So, here are a few more details...

When I left click on anything using my bluetooth trackball it takes seconds (one to four) for DR to make the change that click was meant to initiate.
    When I hover over a value that is adjustable by moving the the cursor left or right, it takes seconds (one to two for the double arrow cursor to appear
    When I make an adjustment to a primary wheel using the scroll wheel at the bottom of that wheel, it takes seconds (one to three) for that adjustment to show up in the values and on the scopes
    I periodically lose the ability to type either text (in the text field of any title effects) or values (after double-clicking on a specific value in the inspector
    When I click on a new node on the color tab it takes seconds (I just timed it and it took three seconds) for DR to switch to that new node

If those symptoms sound like a GPU driver issue, then I'll do the driver re-install that you suggest. Although it's probably worth noting that I have two GPUs so the issue would presumably need to be with both cards (?).
2020 Custom-build PC, Intel i9-10900X CPU, 10 Core(s) @ 3.70 GHz, 4.30 GHz OC, 128GB RAM, 2-2TB NVMe SSDs, 20TB Internal HDD Raid, Dual Nvidia RTX 2080 Super 8GB
Two BMPCC4K

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 3:57 am

Do u experience any of these delays with a wired mouse or pen and tablet?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

jdsglobal

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 4:54 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Do u experience any of these delays with a wired mouse or pen and tablet?

I'm not sure, I'll need to dig one out. What I did notice is that my SE wasn't plugged into the USB cable...when I shutdown DR, plugged in my SE and restarted DR my mouse and keyboard became responsive again. Thank heavens as I have quite a big project that I need to color correct/grade!

I'll come back to you on the wired mouse/keyboard performance when things start to play up again (or I have the time to do some testing to re-create the issues).

Thanks for coming back to me.
Two BMPCC4K

Return to DaVinci Resolve