Slightly muffled/distant audio over car speakers

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Lychon

Slightly muffled/distant audio over car speakers

PostMon Jun 07, 2021 8:51 pm

I recently rendered a project in Resolve 16- the audio voiceover sounds pretty good over my laptop, but when I tested it through my car speakers, it came through somewhat muffled/distant. I’ve got standard noise reduction/dialogue processing effects, and I’ve also toned done some of the harsher frequencies of my voice with EQ and a multiband compressor. I’ve noticed that lowering Band 3 on the multiband compressor too much makes the audio sound flat, muffled, so it’s possible that the effect is simply more pronounced over car speakers.

Anyone have suggestions about how to get greater clarity/presence? Thank you.

Andy Evans

Re: Slightly muffled/distant audio over car speakers

PostMon Jun 07, 2021 10:30 pm

Get some better speakers to mix on. Macbook speakers or any laptop are overly bright and lacking in bottom end, so you won't hear the problem area between 200 and 500 Hz that will make things sound muddy or boomy on larger speakers and dull voices will sound falsely bright.. Even a cheaper set of bookshelf speakers would be better but it;s good to find some that are flatter sounding, a lot of manufacturers call them reference monitors, bur srill they all sound different.. Then find some stuff you've heard before that sounds good and listen to it on your speakers in your room, get used to how good sounding dialogue etc sounds on them in your particular space. You can also keep some stuff like this as a reference and compare them to your mix before you run it off until you 'learn' your speakers and get to trust them.
Sound Designer/Mixer
Melbourne Australia
www.mud.net.au

Lychon

PostTue Jun 08, 2021 1:03 am

Thanks for the idea- I have a set of decent portable speakers around. I’ll see how it sounds through them and experiment with different mixes.

Charles Bennett

PostTue Jun 08, 2021 8:09 am

Sound advice,(sorry :) ) from Andrew. Without being able to hear the audio properly you cannot judge the affect of processing and whether it's actually needed in the first place.
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Lychon

PostThu Jun 10, 2021 3:19 am

Charles Bennett wrote:Sound advice,(sorry :) ) from Andrew. Without being able to hear the audio properly you cannot judge the affect of processing and whether it's actually needed in the first place.

I actually discovered part of the problem- I had turned down Band 3 on the Multiband Compressor too much, which made my voiceover sound too muffled through better speakers. Another contributing factor was the Noise Reduction effect: the stock setting made the audio sound muffled, so I had to tweak the settings (I think I turned it more towards "dry" and also lowered the db threshold). Slightly turning down the "de-rumble" knob on the Dialogue Processor effect also gave the audio more presence and clarity.

So if anyone has added these effects and is wondering why their audio sounds somewhat muffled, it might have to do with these settings. I am in Resolve 16, so I don't know if this works the same way in 17.

Charles Bennett

PostThu Jun 10, 2021 8:42 am

It doesn't matter what video or audio program you are using, without being able to monitor the audio properly, you will not be able to use any processing and hear what affect it is actually having on the sound.
This goes for recording as well. The aim should be to make as good a quality recording as possible from the outset so minimizing the need for post manipulation.
If having good monitoring speakers is a problem, you could consider investing in a decent pair of headphones, and I don't mean ear buds or Beats. Though headphones are not ideal for mixing with, you can do it.
Have a look at headphones like the Shure SRH 840 or Beyer DT880.
Until you can hear what is actually there you will be playing a guessing game.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Lychon

PostThu Jun 10, 2021 4:47 pm

All right, I will look into those, since I am indeed using earbuds at the moment :D . I rendered a small portion of the audio under various settings and played it back in my car, comparing it to other YouTube videos whose audio sounds well engineered. That's how I came to the conclusion that the noise reduction and multiband compressor appeared partly to blame for the muffled sound.

Charles Bennett

PostThu Jun 10, 2021 9:45 pm

Well, it's not the noise reduction or compressor that is to blame. You are making inaccurate corrections because you are not hearing the original audio properly. Your original recording could also be at fault for the same reason.

Lychon

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 8:22 pm

It is difficult to ascertain a categorical cause in any circumstance, but moderating the noise reduction and returning band 3 of the multiband compressor closer to 0 db does result in greater presence and a less muffled sound when playing the audio back through better speakers (e.g., my car speakers). I've seen others mention similar issues with noise reduction causing a loss of presence. So, whether there are other confounding factors at work, noise reduction and an overly dampened band 3 of the multiband compressor are the issues to blame as far as producing a muffled sound in this case. They may indeed be reacting to some of the other points you mentioned (e.g., the original recording), but it is that reaction itself that appears to be causing the muffled sound. I've tested it through my car speakers and through portable speakers attached to my laptop to hear the audio with greater clarity, and tweaking the noise reduction/multiband compressor band 3 (which, again, I had lowered too much in the first place) improves the audio noticeably. Everything else is identical, so by process of deduction (or induction, if you will), this is the issue here.

I may be able to further improve the audio if I start with the original recording through better speakers, as you appear to suggest, in which case other underlying and/or confounding factors may indeed present themselves.

peterjackson

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 8:34 pm

You need to buy a seperate audio card from BMD. The is necessary to bypass all the evil OS and driver audio management. Only a BMD audio card can deliver pristine pure unaltered audio from Resolve. Just like you need a Decklink card for a proper picture.

Then you need certified and hardware calibrated speakers. Calibration needs to happen in the speakers itself. You can't use proper software DSPs. Resolve is pro level software, so you need to follow all the cargo cult and BS Hollywood accumulated over the last 50 years.

Marc will be happy to quote the relevant FUD section from the manual.

Then you need to get the audio off the computer to a dedicated hardware player.

Jim will educate you on the exact process. This is necessary as PCs can't properly playback audio. Only a true hardware player can.

Jim will leave all the links to proper BMD products you need to purchase at the end of his reply. If you don't, just don't use Resolve and use a more consumer oriented NLE.

You know, something that isn't free and doesn't have presets for YT, Vimeo and all that modern crap.
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

Charles Bennett

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 11:24 pm

You also need an acoustically treated space to work in.
Peter, this is all well and good if you are doing paid work for clients. If you are a hobbyist then this is usually out of the question.

Charles Bennett

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 11:42 pm

Alexander, you are missing the fundamentals when working with audio. Before you even consider things like eq and noise reduction etc, you need to be able to hear what is there in the first place as accurately as possible which is why the emphasis is on monitoring, be it with decent speakers or headphones.
When recording your v/o you should eliminate as much noise as possible. Using any post processing will add artifacts if used excessively. Noise reduction should be done gently. If there is excessive noise use the plugin more than once in a channel with gentler settings on each instance.
What microphone do you use for recording? Is it connected to the computer through an external audio interface?

Leslie Wand

PostSat Jun 12, 2021 7:10 am

Charles Bennett wrote:...you need to be able to hear what is there in the first place as accurately as possible, which is why the emphasis is on monitoring, be it with decent speakers or headphones.

spot on! and don't compromise if possible - get the best you can afford, sound is as equally important as picture nowadays*.

* though that said, some features are truly ruined when viewed on tv due to bad mix down to default stereo settings.
www.lesliewand.com.au
amd5 5800x / 32gb ram / rtx 3050 8gb / win 10 pro
sony ex3, sony a6400

peterjackson

PostSat Jun 12, 2021 9:39 am

Charles Bennett wrote:You also need an acoustically treated space to work in.
Peter, this is all well and good if you are doing paid work for clients. If you are a hobbyist then this is usually out of the question.
That post was actually ment as joke, but nevermind. I'd recommend Beyerdynamic 1990 Pro for monitoring audio. They are easy to drive, so no need for a seperate amp. A good entry interface like the Motu M2 is enough.

If the 1990 Pro is out of budget, get the AudioTechnica ATH 50.
5950x, 3090, 128GB.

Noerde

PostSat Jun 12, 2021 10:58 am

As already mentioned, to hear the original recording as true as possible is the key. But that said, depending on your audience getting to 100% is usually NOT the wisest thing to put your money.

Instead of buying very expensive headphones/speakers, proper amplifier etc. doesn't make the original recording any better. Save a little from the headphones and invest in proper microphone, so you don't need top fix the sound in the first place, or as much anyway.

I recommend for hobby use some small Genelecs, starting from 8010 ( this pro model needs an xlr connector) (https://www.genelec.com/8010a) or G-series with RCA connector (https://www.genelec.com/g-one) the smaller models are good for desktop use. Genelecs keep their value so when you do not need them anymore they are an easy sell. (But then only reason to sell Genelecs is to buy bigger model of Genelecs). Addition to Genelecs on the speaker front you may go for normal speakers, but then you need an amplifier. There are also "budget" studio speakers that should also be good enough for even semi prof work.

On the headphone front there are lots of options, but go for neutral sounding ones, Sennheiser HD600 for example is a good mid tier model. But there are options for any budget and even a sub $100 ones sound better than your laptop speakers for sure. I have had a lot better sounding over the ear headphones than "buds" so keep that in mind. Good buds cost more than the same quality over the ears.
Perfectly good usb dac costs less than $100 also and may be good option to bypass maybe non adequate computer sound card. I have no experience on the quality of macbook audio out, so it may be that you don't need one.

Lychon

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 7:15 pm

Charles Bennett wrote:Alexander, you are missing the fundamentals when working with audio. Before you even consider things like eq and noise reduction etc, you need to be able to hear what is there in the first place as accurately as possible which is why the emphasis is on monitoring, be it with decent speakers or headphones.
When recording your v/o you should eliminate as much noise as possible. Using any post processing will add artifacts if used excessively. Noise reduction should be done gently. If there is excessive noise use the plugin more than once in a channel with gentler settings on each instance.
What microphone do you use for recording? Is it connected to the computer through an external audio interface?

I use a Blue Yeti microphone, connected via standard USB cable. My projects do not require the highest grade of sound, since most of them are for YouTube or similar platforms at this point. As I mentioned earlier, I understand that there may be artifacts in the original recording to which noise reduction and compression are reacting, producing the unpleasant muffled or distant audio. However, as it stands, reducing the noise reduction effect (making it more "gentl[e]", as you suggest), and moderating band 3 of the multiband compressor (which I had lowered too much) does result in a clearer sound for me. I have compared it on several decent speakers, and in my vehicle, and the sound is noticeably more present and crisp after those edits.

This might not be the case for many (or most) others who are more familiar with audio fundamentals and can adjust accordingly from the start. Case in point, though, my original recording is indeed fairly clear and distinct- I recorded in a quiet room with little or no ambient noise, which may be part of the reason why the stock noise reduction setting is too much. I am planning on following your suggestion of listening to it in greater detail with one of the headphones you mentioned, which may allow me to further improve on the audio beyond simply tweaking the noise reduction and multiband compressor.
Last edited by Lychon on Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lychon

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 7:18 pm

peterjackson wrote:You need to buy a seperate audio card from BMD. The is necessary to bypass all the evil OS and driver audio management. Only a BMD audio card can deliver pristine pure unaltered audio from Resolve. Just like you need a Decklink card for a proper picture.

Then you need certified and hardware calibrated speakers. Calibration needs to happen in the speakers itself. You can't use proper software DSPs. Resolve is pro level software, so you need to follow all the cargo cult and BS Hollywood accumulated over the last 50 years.

Marc will be happy to quote the relevant FUD section from the manual.

Then you need to get the audio off the computer to a dedicated hardware player.

Jim will educate you on the exact process. This is necessary as PCs can't properly playback audio. Only a true hardware player can.

Jim will leave all the links to proper BMD products you need to purchase at the end of his reply. If you don't, just don't use Resolve and use a more consumer oriented NLE.

You know, something that isn't free and doesn't have presets for YT, Vimeo and all that modern crap.

That's a lot of precedent, but it must be worthwhile in its greater part if the industry is still practicing it! Thank you for the breakdown. I will keep these points in mind as I move forward with more advanced projects.

P.S. I realize you were being largely sarcastic in your recommendations, by the way :D .

Lychon

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 7:27 pm

Noerde wrote:As already mentioned, to hear the original recording as true as possible is the key. But that said, depending on your audience getting to 100% is usually NOT the wisest thing to put your money.

Instead of buying very expensive headphones/speakers, proper amplifier etc. doesn't make the original recording any better. Save a little from the headphones and invest in proper microphone, so you don't need top fix the sound in the first place, or as much anyway.

I recommend for hobby use some small Genelecs, starting from 8010 ( this pro model needs an xlr connector) (https://www.genelec.com/8010a) or G-series with RCA connector (https://www.genelec.com/g-one) the smaller models are good for desktop use. Genelecs keep their value so when you do not need them anymore they are an easy sell. (But then only reason to sell Genelecs is to buy bigger model of Genelecs). Addition to Genelecs on the speaker front you may go for normal speakers, but then you need an amplifier. There are also "budget" studio speakers that should also be good enough for even semi prof work.

On the headphone front there are lots of options, but go for neutral sounding ones, Sennheiser HD600 for example is a good mid tier model. But there are options for any budget and even a sub $100 ones sound better than your laptop speakers for sure. I have had a lot better sounding over the ear headphones than "buds" so keep that in mind. Good buds cost more than the same quality over the ears.
Perfectly good usb dac costs less than $100 also and may be good option to bypass maybe non adequate computer sound card. I have no experience on the quality of macbook audio out, so it may be that you don't need one.

I'll look into those brands of microphones and headphones, along with the ones Charles Bennett listed. Thank you for the recommendations!

Charles Bennett

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 10:44 pm

Alexander, I hope our comments have not put you off. They are not intended to be critical but are intended to make your working with audio easier.
Don't fall into the trap of "it's only for YouTube so not that important". :)

Lychon

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 6:16 pm

Charles Bennett wrote:Alexander, I hope our comments have not put you off. They are not intended to be critical but are intended to make your working with audio easier.
Don't fall into the trap of "it's only for YouTube so not that important". :)

Not sure where that impression came from, but I assure you that I welcome any and all commentary by those more experienced than me, including all fair criticism. Wouldn't be too reasonable of me to think otherwise while continuing to ask for assistance :D. I hope I was clear in explaining the differences in the audio quality when moderating the noise reduction effect and multiband compressor. Even though at the moment, the videos I'm making are intended mostly for YouTube, I am taking all reasonable measures to maximize their quality, as my time and resources allow, including audio of course (which, for my purposes, is most important, since I do voiceover video essays about ethics, legality, and related topics in film and society).

Noerde

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 6:25 am

Lychon wrote:I'll look into those brands of microphones and headphones, along with the ones Charles Bennett listed. Thank you for the recommendations!

I think you can get relatively good audio from a blue yeti, it's already on par or better than what most youtubers use. I also applaud you for taking audio seriously, it's even more important than video quality in my opinion.

Lychon

PostWed Jun 16, 2021 6:56 am

Much appreciated- thank you. I agree that audio quality is critical, especially for my purposes where my voiceover is the key substantive part of the entire video. I uploaded a segment render to YouTube to test how it sounds, and it’s not bad at all. My “loudness” levels are about 4 lufs below YouTube’s threshold, so I can potentially increase the master gain on the audio another 1-2 decibels, though it probably isn’t necessary.

Return to DaVinci Resolve