Cintel - Mac to PC

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

bridgetc

Cintel - Mac to PC

PostTue Jun 08, 2021 9:27 pm

Hi,

I've been using the original Cintel on a Mac for several years but will be replacing the computer I scan on with a PC. The PC only has a Thunderbolt 3 port, and the Cintel uses Thunderbolt 2, so I have an Apple adapter.

DaVinci and the Cintel software are both installed on the PC computer, and the computer functions normally with the Thunderbolt cable and adapter inserted, but it crashes as soon as I plug in the Cintel.

The PC is on Windows 10 and it's DaVinci Studio 17.2. I have the Cintel software installed also. I open the Cintel software with the Cintel unplugged and it doesn't detect the scanner. I plug the Cintel in and the computer crashes.

Let me know your thoughts / advice. Thank you all!!

James Little

Blackmagic Design

Re: Cintel - Mac to PC

PostWed Jun 09, 2021 2:20 am

Hi Bridget,

should work fine on Windows, however Windows in general (or BIOS) often has issues with hot plug. You might try having the Scanner connected prior to booting, not really acceptable, but Thunderbolt support (PCIe even) on windows is pretty hit and miss.

Also, can you confirm whether the Scanners shows up fine in 'Cintel Setup' and that you have Cintel 4.1 installed?

bridgetc

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 1:49 pm

James Little wrote:Hi Bridget,

should work fine on Windows, however Windows in general (or BIOS) often has issues with hot plug. You might try having the Scanner connected prior to booting, not really acceptable, but Thunderbolt support (PCIe even) on windows is pretty hit and miss.

Also, can you confirm whether the Scanners shows up fine in 'Cintel Setup' and that you have Cintel 4.1 installed?

Hi James,

Thanks for the reply! I do have Cintel 4.1 downloaded, but the Cintel doesn't show up in Cintel Setup because the computer crashes if I try to connect the Cintel at all. I tried turning my computer off, plugging the Cintel in when it's running and connected through Thunderbolt, then turning the computer on, and the computer still crashes. The computer seems to be running normally otherwise. It's a Dell OptiPlex 7090.

Let me know if you have any other thoughts on this or need more info!

Thank you!

James Little

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 12:37 am

Hi Bridget,

probably best to bring this one through our technical support rather than on the forum so we can more actively try to get to the bottom of what's going on.

First thing to try though, is do you have any other computers you can test with? Do you have any other Blackmagic products with Thunderbolt/PCIe you can see if they are working?

Thanks

Return to DaVinci Resolve